The Student Room Group

Possibly leaving FT Uni to go PT Open University

Hi,

I have a disability and am struggling with a Full time brick university degree.

I have the option to transfer my credits to the Open University on a different course starting at level 2 studying part time.

If i did this (due to my disability) would I be eligible for the part time maintenance loan to support my studies?

Thanks
Original post by davesladeuk
Hi,

I have a disability and am struggling with a Full time brick university degree.

I have the option to transfer my credits to the Open University on a different course starting at level 2 studying part time.

If i did this (due to my disability) would I be eligible for the part time maintenance loan to support my studies?

Thanks

Hi Dave.

Students studying distance learning at the OU due to a disability are eligible for the Maintenance Loan(ML) but it still has to be an acceptable course.

Students must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible for the ML:

Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Integrated Masters Degree
Graduate Diploma
Graduate Certificate
Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
Foundation Degree in Dental Health/Dental Therapy
Diploma of Higher Education in Dental Health/Dental Therapy or Operating Department Practice.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Original post by Shaun D SFE
Hi Dave.

Students studying distance learning at the OU due to a disability are eligible for the Maintenance Loan(ML) but it still has to be an acceptable course.

Students must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible for the ML:

Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Integrated Masters Degree
Graduate Diploma
Graduate Certificate
Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
Foundation Degree in Dental Health/Dental Therapy
Diploma of Higher Education in Dental Health/Dental Therapy or Operating Department Practice.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

I think what the OP is asking is, will they qualify for the maintenance loan if they transfer their uni credits into an Open Uni degree, or do they need to begin a new qualification from scratch?
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
I think what the OP is asking is, will they qualify for the maintenance loan if they transfer their uni credits into an Open Uni degree, or do they need to begin a new qualification from scratch?

Thanks for the replies, this is what i'm asking really, does starting using my credits on a new degree with Open University mean I can claim maintenance loan as it would technically be a 'new' course even though I am not starting from year 1.
Original post by davesladeuk
Thanks for the replies, this is what i'm asking really, does starting using my credits on a new degree with Open University mean I can claim maintenance loan as it would technically be a 'new' course even though I am not starting from year 1.

Hi Dave.

Sorry about the late reply.

You wouldn't need to start from scratch as you are a new part-time student so would be eligible to apply for the Maintenance Loan.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending