Turn on thread page Beta

Full tower cases. watch

ReputationRep:
    So I want to put a full tower case on my desk or to the side of it (and have 2-3 monitors set up) but I'm not sure if there are any good software programs to visualise this so I don't spend loads of money on several different cases I like only to find most don't fit.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Technology doesn't solve everything.

Just need to use a tape measurer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Technology doesn't solve everything.

thank you for the advice. I just forgot I've got hundreds of pounds (£) just laying around to go and spend on monitors and cases to see if they will all fit and travel expenses to see the very few stores that sell limited stuff.

I am so dumb I didn't know there were such geniuses on this website.

Sarcasm over, I wanted (like I said) a way to visualise this stuff before I commited to buying anything. I don't have endless supplies of stuff just to use in place of a monitor or case. I don't want to be drawing on my desk to see how big things are. I wanted a way where I could get an idea of the scale of things are reletave to what I currently have.

I do own a tape measure but just looking online and seeing measurements doesn't give me a great idea of the scale of something is unless I already own something like that. Videos are neat but the reviews people do are in big, open spaces and my room I want this setup in is quite small in comparison to a normal bedroom i believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Centurion_Sam)
    thank you for the advice. I just forgot I've got hundreds of pounds (£) just laying around to go and spend on monitors and cases
    *Puts up hand*

ReputationRep:
    I'm not interested in roleplay. only advice for my original question. thank you for being rude though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not interested in roleplay. only advice for my original question. thank you for being rude though.
    Would never have reason to be rude to someone I've not encountered before. You've misinterpreted. Also not sure who we're roleplaying as.

Literally, the answer is a tape measurer, which... erm... doesn't cost hundreds of pounds (£!)

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be drawing on my desk to see how big things are.
    Tape measure + masking tape. Job done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Tape measure + masking tape. Job done.
    like I said. I don't want any "drawing" on my desk. I was trying to imply that this method of getting a scale of items wasn't wanted or asked for. I was asking about a computer program to generate this for me and get a sense of scale with that.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know of any programs to visualise it but unless you have a huge desk a case that big is going to take up a huge amount of space, with multiple monitors that is going to be compounded further.

My corsair 750D takes up about the same amount of space on my desk as my 34"; ultrawide monitor if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Don't know of any programs to visualise it but unless you have a huge desk a case that big is going to take up a huge amount of space, with multiple monitors that is going to be compounded further.

My corsair 750D takes up about the same amount of space on my desk as my 34"; ultrawide monitor if that helps.
    Yeah this helps more than the other repsonses. Thank you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So I want to put a full tower case on my desk or to the side of it (and have 2-3 monitors set up) but I'm not sure if there are any good software programs to visualise this so I don't spend loads of money on several different cases I like only to find most don't fit.
    I really don't see how a tape measure is not the solution to this. If you don't know whether it'll fit, quite simply measure it and compare the dimensions to those listed for your monitors and case.

If you desperately need to see what it looks like, take a photo of your desk and copy the stock images for your desired case over the top. You can even resize the stock images based on the measurements found from using a tape measure. It would take 10 minutes tops to dump stock images on a photo of your desk and resize them. It won't look pretty but that's the only way you'll get anything close to what you're looking for without outright rebuilding the relevant components as complex 3D models. It's a very first world problem to have so as you'd expect, there isn't a piece of software dedicated to rendering a PC on a desk to see if it looks nice/fits. A tape measure tends to cover whether it fits, while stock photos tell you what it looks like.

Towers on desks, especially the larger full tower variety tends to be an awful idea though. You can sometimes get away with mid towers but full size towers tends to be pushing it. At best it tends to look stupid, at worst it outright doesn't work and something breaks. Unless you have a very large and sturdy desk, I wouldn't recommend putting the tower on the desk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I really don't see how a tape measure is not the solution to this. If you don't know whether it'll fit, quite simply measure it and compare the dimensions to those listed for your monitors and case.

If you desperately need to see what it looks like, take a photo of your desk and copy the stock images for your desired case over the top. You can even resize the stock images based on the measurements found from using a tape measure. It would take 10 minutes tops to dump stock images on a photo of your desk and resize them. It won't look pretty but that's the only way you'll get anything close to what you're looking for without outright rebuilding the relevant components as complex 3D models. It's a very first world problem to have so as you'd expect, there isn't a piece of software dedicated to rendering a PC on a desk to see if it looks nice/fits. A tape measure tends to cover whether it fits, while stock photos tell you what it looks like.

Towers on desks, especially the larger full tower variety tends to be an awful idea though. You can sometimes get away with mid towers but full size towers tends to be pushing it. At best it tends to look stupid, at worst it outright doesn't work and something breaks. Unless you have a very large and sturdy desk, I wouldn't recommend putting the tower on the desk.
    Ive talked to some people and apparently google scetchup is a good program to use but really what you just said here is probbaly the perfect answer. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Tape measure as answer = receive abuse

Tape measure or use Paint or Photoshop as answer = perfect answer!

ReputationRep:
    Ive talked to some people and apparently google scetchup is a good program to use but really what you just said here is probbaly the perfect answer. Thank you
    This feels like a completely overengineered solution to a seriously basic problem that could have been solved a lot more easily with the basic tape measure/masking tape combo mentioned above repeatedly, but sure, if you really want to spend time creating a scale model of your desk and plonking virtual representations of things onto it then SketchUp is a decent way to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    Tape measure as answer = receive abuse

Tape measure or use Paint or Photoshop as answer = perfect answer!
    Do you know what abuse is?

I could repeat myself to what ive said before but you might start crying if you think its abuse. If you dont want to help me then dont bother commenting. People who have commented were only trying to help, even if it wasnt the solution i was after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    This feels like a completely overengineered solution to a seriously basic problem that could have been solved a lot more easily with the basic tape measure/masking tape combo mentioned above repeatedly, but sure, if you really want to spend time creating a scale model of your desk and plonking virtual representations of things onto it then SketchUp is a decent way to go about it.
    Yeah i know but i like to look at things phiyically since it gives me a better idea of what things are then going to look like in my setup at home since i dont have a great deal of space to work with, since its in my bedroom and not an office / seperate room.

Plus if i had a 3D printing machine id probbaly use that over anything else and then recycle the stuff used to make whatever i use to help visualise the layout of my setup XD

ReputationRep:
    Use a ruler or a tape measure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I could repeat myself to what ive said before but you might start crying if you think its abuse. If you dont want to help me then dont bother commenting. People who have commented were only trying to help, even if it wasnt the solution i was after.
    To be fair, the original question says that you wanted to visualise it to know that it fits. That implies the only issue is with size. When told to use a tape measure (the most common sense solution), you replied with sarcasm and added more details, specifying that actually you wanted to see what it would look like on the desk, not just check the sizes.

There was nothing rude about ozzyoscy's post, you originally wanted to make sure the components would fit and for that, a tape measure is the solution. Rather than being sarcastic and calling them rude, it would have been more appropriate to just clarify what you actually wanted, since it evidently wasn't clear in the original post.

ReputationRep:

Woah, why are you getting upset about it?

Like you said, only trying to help, and you're trying to have some internet argument or posture...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have you thought about using a tape measure? :laugh:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.