Are the English disliked? Watch

Frieza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jelkin)
I know!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I mean is that Americans THINK Brits have bad teeth because they're not as white as theirs because we have a lower fluoride level in our water.
LOL @ americans, if they think so.
All the rest of Europe (but Spain) does not fluoridate the water and I've never noticed any widespread problem with european teeth.
deletethisaccountplease
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the people who dislike the Englishmen and Englishwomen the most are actually the Scottish and the Irish.

It's hardly surprising when you think about it. We have a long history of fighting with them - and more recently we've used them for economic experiments.

TBH I don't think the rest of the world thinks about us too much. The US seem to like us more since they've been the victim of Terrorism themselves (Yeah you self-proclaimed 'saints' of democracy - try YEARS OF IRA TYRRANY!) and I know Clinton made some positive steps with the Irish and the US people to curb the funding of bombing and so on.

Relations with the rest of Europe seem to have mellowed, France, for example - we love the French now, and they begrudgingly accept us buying all the tumbledown shacks in the country. But we still moan about them, in time honoured tradition. I'd say politically our relations with Europe dropped over deciding to follow the US with some invasions - but I think Europe understands that most of us Brits aren't too keen on the 'ol colony of 'freedom' and accept that our government doesn't listen to us anymore.

So yeah, we're disliked in the same way we dislike other people. A sort of misunderstanding based mostly on cultural differences.

BTW - the French don't really eat frogs legs?
deletethisaccountplease
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The teeth thing stems from most american's having braces, whitening, capping and dentures.

TBH, I find perfect white smiles and rows of veneered teeth a little intimidating. Gimme Bowie anyday <3
thinking causes strain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i watched an episode of "the family guy" where the bar gets turned into an english pub with englishmen in it and i couldn't help but notice how ridiculous they made their teeth look. i don't think there's anything wrong with our teeth tbh.
Frieza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thinking causes strain)
i watched an episode of "the family guy" where the bar gets turned into an english pub with englishmen in it and i couldn't help but notice how ridiculous they made their teeth look. i don't think there's anything wrong with our teeth tbh.
Every nationality is mocked by that kind of cartoons (Simpson's style), but they are so funny
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Poor? What!?! That seems a bizarre perception.
The UK is rather poor compared to the US.
Just look at the slums of East London.
Oswy
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
US society carries a more prominent, and normativised, culture of body modification linked to the cult of youth and health. The 'British teeth' phenomenon is thus possibly better understood in relation to the American obsession with perfect (i.e. modified) and dazzlingly white (treated) gnashers.

I was talking to an American the other day who has been here a couple of years. After arrival she found herself fascinated by the BBC soap-opera Eastenders and how it seemed to be filled with 'ugly' people in dreary looking houses and apartments. It took her a little while to realise that what she was actually noticing was the absence of the highly contrived practice of using young and 'beautiful' people in shiny and neat homes in US soap-operas. While I'm not suggesting that British soaps like Eastenders and Coronation Street are realistic, by comparison US soaps reveal the dominance of an obsession with youth and beauty (of a certain kind) notwithstanding the departure from reality.
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the country itself exudes an air of scholarship...probably because of oxbridge haha
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nana_Julia)
Do you really think a "tiny isolated village" is the best basis for making generalisations about the ignorance allegedly common in Ireland? Do you think it would be fair to base an entire appraisal of the UK on, say, the Isle of Wight?

Yes I know a lot about Irish history and there really wasn't much in the way of rainbows and flowers to add to England's relationship with Ireland over the past 800 years...!
Now then, don't start knocking the isle of wight :hmmm:
thinking causes strain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Frieza)
Every nationality is mocked by that kind of cartoons (Simpson's style), but they are so funny
yeah i know and i don't usually find the "family guy" funny. their imitation of a cockney accent was brilliant and it made me cringe (i'm northern).
x-Disenchanted-x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by djchak)
So you ran into some Yank that thought you said "whales" instead of "Wales"....and the rest of of must not know anything about the UK....nice.:rolleyes:
No no, I'm not saying Americans in general... it was just that one and his friends.

They were from Michigan.

Sorry if it sounded like that tho!
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
The English are mildly despised I guess.
Not really hated, just looked down upon as effete and pseudo-sophisticated poor people.
Oooh, now that's spiteful.
Overground
Badges: 17
Report 10 years ago
I know!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I mean is that Americans THINK Brits have bad teeth because they're not as white as theirs because we have a lower fluoride level in our water.
(Original post by LucyKy)
The teeth thing stems from most american's having braces, whitening, capping and dentures.

TBH, I find perfect white smiles and rows of veneered teeth a little intimidating. Gimme Bowie anyday <3
Y'all should have grown up in Birmingham..We have lots of fluoride in our water which means I don't have any fillings, my brother and sister don't, I'm not sure if I know anyone with a filling (or maybe they do, it's not really a hot topic of conversations). My parents who grew up in the fluoride deficient South both have mouths full of fillings. Stat says a Brummie five year-old will have 50% better teeth on average than a Manchester (and I'm assuming anywhere else unfluoridated) five year-old.

This isn't really on topic, merely highlighting that quite a few areas (West Midlands, Lincolnshire, Newcastle area) do have fluoride in the water, and have better dental hygeine as a result. Fluoride FTW!

And ON topic, the Americans love Brits. Seriously. All you have to do is open your mouth. Although it does help a bit if you adopt a Stephen Fry accent, dress in tweed and say you are a minor Royal, and the Queen came to your house for tea and crumpets on your birthday.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Um, I guarantee you the United States has enormously worse slums that are proportionately larger. The 'slums' of East London aren't even really slums in the proper sense of the term, just deprived working class areas. Most of the UK's problems in such areas are social rather than economic anyway. The US capital was, until very recently, a complete dump infested with crime and poverty - I hardly think London compares in recent history.

What I will say is that your upper middle class and above are considerably better off than their British equivalents.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LucyKy)
I think the people who dislike the Englishmen and Englishwomen the most are actually the Scottish and the Irish.
Someone's been reading the Daily Express too much.

I remind you that something like one in ten people in Scotland is English.
Cutie Xx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amy_J)
There's no getting away from our superiority to the rest of the world. Let us not forget our precedence of teaching nations how to live.
i hate that you see you/us as superior.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Cutie Xx)
i hate that you see you/us as superior.
Loadsa countries are like that though. The Americans are to some degree, and perhpas the French.
Sadhbh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, but you still choose to base your generalisations on that one tiny isolated village? I take it you didn't open your eyes in the nine other counties long enough to realise how idiotic such an extrapolation was?
Trust me, I think I've experienced enough in Ireland to know what I said was right. I don't think there would be any point in me making such an absurd point - had I never lived there for 15 years. But hey, like I said - you're the expert on this!
Fin.
Jelkin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's still one of the wealthiest nations on the Earth. To consider us "poor" is ridiculous! (But then, sometimes I'm not sure if the USA knows that the rest of the world exists ... )
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
You yourself said you were basing the argument that Irish people see England as a big strange place on a tiny remote village. Your words! Saying "trust me" doesn't make your argument any stronger.
I have been to Ireland - and have a 'British' accent and I must say I didn't receive any contempt or whatever .... People are generally very nice.

Of course, you might have the odd isolated village ... but surely as Nana_Julia said you can't apply their idiology to that of a nation!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads