Turn on thread page Beta

Are the English disliked? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Jelkin)
    It's still one of the wealthiest nations on the Earth. To consider us "poor" is ridiculous! (But then, sometimes I'm not sure if the USA knows that the rest of the world exists ... )
    OK ... are you going to substantiate these claims?
    And in any case, I fail to see how "wealth" of a nation makes it liked or disliked?

I presume the last comment was meant to be funny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nana_Julia)
    You yourself said you were basing the argument that Irish people see England as a big strange place on a tiny remote village. Your words! Saying "trust me" doesn't make your argument any stronger.
    Bua? Were we competing? Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutie Xx)
    i hate that you see you/us as superior.
    It is more or less indisputable that we are superior in terms of our government and institutions when compared with the vast majority of other countries on this planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It is more or less indisputable that we are superior in terms of our government and institutions when compared with the vast majority of other countries on this planet.
    We may be richer or more powerful. That does not make us "superior". I hate that word.

ReputationRep:
    We may be richer or more powerful. That does not make us "superior". I hate that word.

Sadly, we're not all that rich OR powerful anymore. Nanny EU has seen to a lot of our power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meep!)
    Sadly, we're not all that rich OR powerful anymore. Nanny EU has seen to a lot of our power.
    Arent' you exaggerating the effect of EU membership? How much has that detracted from our wealth/power and how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    How would you compare us to, say, Australasia/ North America/Scandinavia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Arent' you exaggerating the effect of EU membership? How much has that detracted from our wealth/power and how?
    Hey babe! How r u? x x x x

ReputationRep:
    Hey babe! How r u? x x x x
    Good...msn?

ReputationRep:

We can't even pass a lot of our own legislation without asking the permission of the EU. I don't like the EU too much - it's a bit too much like the United States of Europe for my liking.

Currently, our balance of payments deficit is huge. We are not wealthy - we owe other countries money, and this is going to build and build until a government gets it into their head that sorting it is more important than being popular. And guess who it is that'll have to pay off this debt? Us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meep!)
    We can't even pass a lot of our own legislation without asking the permission of the EU. I don't like the EU too much - it's a bit too much like the United States of Europe for my liking.

Currently, our balance of payments deficit is huge. We are not wealthy - we owe other countries money, and this is going to build and build until a government gets it into their head that sorting it is more important than being popular. And guess who it is that'll have to pay off this debt? Us.
    I think I'm with you if you're suggesting we withdraw.

ReputationRep:
    Good...msn?
    Im gonna be sad and watch eastenders. lol be on about 9. chat to u then x x x x x

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm with you if you're suggesting we withdraw.

That's what I'd do if I were PM

(Original post by L i b)
    I don't see how our government is in any sense superior to other countries.
    You have to convince me on that ground.

And in any case, perhaps it is the exaggerated sense of self-importance and a mixture of highly hostile conceit and egotism that makes the English disliked??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Heart)
    I don't see how our government is in any sense superior to other counrties.

And in any case, perhaps it is the exaggerated sense of self-importance and a mixture of highly hostile conceit and egotism that makes the English disliked??
    Everywhere has 'hostile conceit and egotism'.

(Original post by Meep!)
    That's what I'd do if I were PM
    and then what ... opting out of the EU will make us vulnerable in the market.
    who would want to be based in the UK when they could be in EU?

Everywhere has 'hostile conceit and egotism'.
    Not 'everywhere' took it upon themselves to extend the British Empire by taking over foreign countries to the extent the British have. I also suspect the 'dislike' may stem becuase of this history Britain has had.

Personally, I don't think English people are dislikes, as such, more the establishment.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how our government is in any sense superior to other countries.
    It's been stable and by and large free from corruption for decades?

That already puts it pretty much in the top 20.

ReputationRep:
    We are also more free, more liberal, more moral.

Yes, I think that does make our version of government superior. I don't buy into this moral relativism crap: there is a difference between right and wrong, and broadly speaking we fall far more into the former side of that dichotomy than most.

ReputationRep:
    Not 'everywhere' took it upon themselves to extend the British Empire by taking over foreign countries to the extent the British have. I also suspect the 'dislike' may stem becuase of this history Britain has had.

Personally, I don't think English people are dislikes, as such, more the establishment.
    There's nothing morally wrong with extending dominion over as broad an area as possible - actually, if you believe in the goodness of your system of government, it's an inherently charitable act.

I remind you that every state in history has been largely crafted through the consolidation of power by a certain group or individual.

As for Britain's history, most of it is noble. It's certainly not any more shameful than almost every other nation's. Indeed, I'd rather have made some mistakes than relax in isolationist fantasy as some countries have.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.