The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths/Access assessment

Hello!

I have recently applied for an Access to Science course but also my Maths GCSE, as I only managed to get a D in this subject. I'm hoping that I will be allowed to study the GCSE alongside the Access course.

I've been invited to an assessment day (3 hours) and would like to know what I might expect from it?

I need to do some revision - it's been YEARS since I studied Maths (I just use my calculator or the internet these days!) What resources can I use to refresh my memory?

I really want to get into college!!
I'm not sure about your assessment day because when I went along to register for my Access course it was simply a 10 minute interview/discussion about the course, the college already knew me because I'd done my English and maths GCSE with them the previous year. With regards to the maths revision, you could look at some GCSE youtube videos and practice a few past exam papers to refresh your memory.
Original post by jenbleep

I need to do some revision - it's been YEARS since I studied Maths (I just use my calculator or the internet these days!) What resources can I use to refresh my memory?

It's a bit overly-positive for me, but I've previously recommended the National Numeracy Challenge website to people who have had a long break between Maths study. It's basically GCSE content but aimed at adults. BBC Bitesize is also still going strong.
Reply 3
Original post by SmilingWombat
I'm not sure about your assessment day because when I went along to register for my Access course it was simply a 10 minute interview/discussion about the course, the college already knew me because I'd done my English and maths GCSE with them the previous year. With regards to the maths revision, you could look at some GCSE youtube videos and practice a few past exam papers to refresh your memory.

I think the college are concerned about my lack of Maths GCSE as I haven't had any correspondence about my access application, just my Maths! :frown: I'll give it my best shot and hopefully I can do both together.
Reply 4
Original post by Indigo&Violet
It's a bit overly-positive for me, but I've previously recommended the National Numeracy Challenge website to people who have had a long break between Maths study. It's basically GCSE content but aimed at adults. BBC Bitesize is also still going strong.

Thank you!!
I have been out of school 12 years and I had an assement day. And it didn’t even exist. I sat in a room. Everyone knew what they wanted to do, I was sat there like what the hell I have no idea! I’m doing my GCSE maths too. We just signed up and that was our assessment day lol
Original post by jenbleep
Hello!

I have recently applied for an Access to Science course but also my Maths GCSE, as I only managed to get a D in this subject. I'm hoping that I will be allowed to study the GCSE alongside the Access course.

I've been invited to an assessment day (3 hours) and would like to know what I might expect from it?

I really want to get into college!!

Hello there!

My College recently introduced part-time Access to HE courses again due to high demand. It is split up into two years, with the first year being a GCSE resit as the main focus (should a person need to resit). That being said, I personally know a few of my classmates that did the course full-time and had to resit either Maths or English. It is possible to do both the course and a GCSE :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by BritishBookworm
Hello there!

My College recently introduced part-time Access to HE courses again due to high demand. It is split up into two years, with the first year being a GCSE resit as the main focus (should a person need to resit). That being said, I personally know a few of my classmates that did the course full-time and had to resit either Maths or English. It is possible to do both the course and a GCSE :smile:

This is great to here...I had an email which said "It may be possible to run one GCSE alongside the Access to HE Diploma at the tutors discretion" and another lady did say on the phone that they sometimes let people do both...I really hope so!

I'll chat to them on the 15th and they may even have a p/t option. In the meantime, I've signed up to National Numeracy Challenge! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending