The Student Room Group

Children at Weddings

I know a lot of people have opinions on this topic and I'm curious to hear them.
If you were to have a wedding or have had one, would you allow children to attend? Why/why not?
Would you be offended if you were invited to a wedding and were told your child wasn't allowed to come?

Personally I wouldn't want children at my wedding as I feel it's a more grown up affair and it would be boring for them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
idk, honesty, ive loved weddings since i was 2 sooo...
Original post by yer mum
idk, honesty, ive loved weddings since i was 2 sooo...

Have you never got bored sitting through the ceremony or the reception afterwards?
Reply 3
Wouldn't allow young children (<12-ish) and I would be firm about it. They don't want to be there and I certainly wouldn't want them to be there either. I don't think it's offensive to specify that children can't come - it should be pretty understandable.
Original post by Sinnoh
Wouldn't allow young children (<12-ish) and I would be firm about it. They don't want to be there and I certainly wouldn't want them to be there either. I don't think it's offensive to specify that children can't come - it should be pretty understandable.

Same, I wouldn't want that young coming. If they were over 12 maybe, but then I'd want to know the child well and know they can be mature enough.
Neither, if someone told me my child couldn't come I would just accept it but some people apparently do get offended by it.
My grandma's house was much more entertaining than a wedding service when I was 10 is all im saying
Reply 6
Original post by AzureCeleste
Have you never got bored sitting through the ceremony or the reception afterwards?

nope,i loved every minuite. although the fact that i used to imagine my big day might make me biased
Lmao I’ve never been to a wedding and I’m 16
Depends on what you prefer tbh. I don’t think that would be rude to say no kids
I know a lot of people have opinions on this topic and I'm curious to hear them.
If you were to have a wedding or have had one, would you allow children to attend? Why/why not?
Would you be offended if you were invited to a wedding and were told your child wasn't allowed to come?

Personally I wouldn't want children at my wedding as I feel it's a more grown up affair and it would be boring for them.

It's your wedding and so it's your choice.
I think it really depends on the children in question, and the wedding itself. I think it's safest to just say "no kids," but that can preclude a lot of family from attending. I think no babies/toddlers is probably a better rule. If a child can be talked to/reasoned with they're probably mature enough to understand how to behave in this situation. I've been at plenty of weddings with kids who caused zero issues.
I would, 100%. Nothing cuter than babies/little kids all dressed up. I would love to have a 3 year old flower girl/paige boy, it would be adorable 😍

Weddings are about the celebration of two families coming together. Children are part of those families, so should not be excluded.

I’d be a little miffed if my children weren’t allowed at a wedding I was invited to, but ultimately I would accept that it’s up to the bride/groom as it’s obviously their wedding.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’d love to have children there, I have a lot of younger cousins and family friends who could still be kids when I get married. It’d be so cute.
Children are an absolute MUST HAVE at any wedding. A wedding would be incomplete without some little kids all dressed up running around and throwing petals or carrying the rings, not to mention the kids have a right to be there too since they're part of the family
Original post by pjrodarte339
Children are an absolute MUST HAVE at any wedding. A wedding would be incomplete without some little kids all dressed up running around and throwing petals or carrying the rings, not to mention the kids have a right to be there too since they're part of the family

Fair enough if it's your direct family but what if they were your friends children or similar to that, who you didn't know well(as you rarely saw your friend for example).
Cute as it may be having children running around and throwing stuff, they may not always do as they're told and cause havoc
(edited 5 years ago)
Fair enough if it's your direct family but what if they were your friends children or similar to that, who you didn't know well(as you rarely saw your friend for example).
Cute as it may be having children running around and throwing stuff, they may not always do as they're told and cause havoc

I always find it hard to say no to little kids, so I guess that just depends on what sort of person you are.

btw that came out sort of weird I'm not a nonce or anything :u:
I'd love to have children there. Having a small baby crying throughout the ceremony would be awful but I trust that anyone I'd invite would know to sneak outside with the child until they'd calmed down.

If I had young children but only myself and my partner were invited, it wouldn't bother me. I'd understand.
(edited 5 years ago)

There aren't many kids in our families, apart from my little half sister and one of my husbands friends brought his toddler daughter, we only had teenagers and adults at our wedding but if there were kids in our families I think we would have given people the option to bring them especially as the child price was significantly cheaper anyway and we like kids.
When we hopefully have kids, I don't think i'd be that offended if someone had an adult only wedding but i hope they'd respect that we may not be able to go, if we have a baby at the time then I'd just sit at the back and sneak out if they started crying.
I think children should be allowed at the reception but as for the ceremony, I would say yes, and no. Like another poster mentioned, flower girls and pageboys would be adorable but I think it would be nice to have someone, like one of the children's parents taking care of the kids while the ceremony is happening, and once it's over they can come out and join everyone. It's a win-win situation.
Reply 19
It risks being seen as a big snub since once people reproduce their minds change and their kids become centre of the universe. Also there is a lot of emphasis on weddings being a family affair. I would say if you're not extending an invite to the kids don't invite the couple at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending