Turn on thread page Beta

Labour will abolish the House of Lords watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you read the Daily Mail? Do you want to crush the Remoaner saboteurs? Does your face go red at the prospect of the metropolitan Lords fustrating the will of the poeple? Then boy do Labour have the policy for you.

Labour will abolish the House of Lords if it wins the next general election, a spokesman for Jeremy Corbyn has confirmed.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...t-will-abolish

ReputationRep:
    Bunch of morons...

Good luck getting into power, lefties.

Abolishing unelected remnants of the fuedal system who have no place in an industrial society?

I wonder who could be next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngeryPenguin)
    Abolishing unelected remnants of the fuedal system who have no place in an industrial society?
    Or a post industrial society XD

ReputationRep:
    holy desperation!!!

desperate acts make me nervous, btw. can't we just get through brexit first because rearranging the constitution???

ReputationRep:
    Labour also has been trying to get in power for years. They haven't done jack **** about that, and I doubt they will about this too.

It's like they are not even trying to win anymore.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is something I can get behind.

ReputationRep:
    Removal is a trojan horse, HoL in it's prior state served a valuable purpose of keeping the HoC in check, Blair's 'reforms' were the final nail in the coffin after damage caused in the mid-20th century which stripped it of any real teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holy Pieter)
    Bunch of morons...

Good luck getting into power, lefties.
    76% support making the upper house an elected chamber, which is the policy proposed by Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    i dont vote communism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Do you read the Daily Mail? Do you want to crush the Remoaner saboteurs? Does your face go red at the prospect of the metropolitan Lords fustrating the will of the poeple? Then boy do Labour have the policy for you.

Labour will abolish the House of Lords if it wins the next general election, a spokesman for Jeremy Corbyn has confirmed.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...t-will-abolish
    In principle, I agree with having a group of non-politcal, intelligent people to review bills from parliament and analyse them properly. That's how I believe the HoL should function. I'd say it needs reform, not abolishment.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, the House of Lords can't outright reject bills. They can only send bills back to delay them. I'd support limiting how much the House of Lords can actually delay a bill, however I wouldn't say remove it.

The House of Lords is actually not the worst thing. In itself, the House of Lords is apolitical, it has no party. Having a body of people that reviews bills before being passed into law is a good thing. I wouldn't trust Labour or the Conservatives with a 400+ MP majority to do pass laws without anything to review them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuddly Lizard)
    In itself, the House of Lords is apolitical, it has no party.
    The Lords have party whips too, it's definitely very political. Particularly as a lot are old MPs who got on well with party leaders at the time they were in power.

Having a house of apolitical experts would be good, but the members shouldn't be decided (entirely) by politicians, and preferably by the public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Usemame)
    In principle, I agree with having a group of non-politcal, intelligent people to review bills from parliament and analyse them properly. That's how I believe the HoL should function. I'd say it needs reform, not abolishment.
    How is the current set up of the lords none political? They are literally affiliated to political parties. Atleast if they were voted in via PR they would represent the population as apposed to just being poeple receiving political favours from a poltical party.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pinko, commie subversive ****.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, people's political views are diverse and complicated, despite the crude attempt at stereotyping implicit in the OP.

I passionately support Brexit, and although I don't buy the Daily Mail I certainly read some articles online and think it is one of the world's great newspapers. (A view widely shared around the planet since it has more than 200 million monthly browsers, just behind the New York Times I believe).

But I would love Labour (if they ever got into power and could do it) to abolish the House of Lords.

And while they are about it the monarchy too. But even they aren't prepared to advocate that sadly.

If Labour ever got in in its current form it would be a total catastrophe. Abolition of the Lords would be the one good thing to emerge. But you know what?

I bet they would even c#ck that up.

ReputationRep:
    I agree in principal with abolition of the Lords. The difficult part though is what you replace it with.

If you have an elected second chamber, should it have increased powers than the current House of Lords given its electoral mandate?

An upper chamber does perform an important role of acting as a check on the executive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuddly Lizard)
    As far as I know, the House of Lords can't outright reject bills. They can only send bills back to delay them. I'd support limiting how much the House of Lords can actually delay a bill, however I wouldn't say remove it.

The House of Lords is actually not the worst thing. In itself, the House of Lords is apolitical, it has no party. Having a body of people that reviews bills before being passed into law is a good thing. I wouldn't trust Labour or the Conservatives with a 400+ MP majority to do pass laws without anything to review them!
    They can reject bills and kill them dead, but the Lords very rarely exercise this power and there is a Convention that they would not do so if something was in the governing party's manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. The lords are pretty good with keeping the government in some check at times. Notably, with the snooper's charter. It'd have been far more invasive of the lords didn't ask for more oversight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    How is the current set up of the lords none political? They are literally affiliated to political parties. Atleast if they were voted in via PR they would represent the population as apposed to just being poeple receiving political favours from a poltical party.
    The Lords are not only old MPs, though. A good number are just eminent professionals. The whole process is a lot less political than in the Commons because there is no election for survival; they can afford to make common sensical decisions which aren't politically sexy. This works in two ways: they can curtain populist policies for a time but can also do dry work perusing documents which no one else wants to do. As soon as someone is politically sensitive about their future in the Lords, they suddenly move away from their job and instead try to grab headlines.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.