Keeping amused in the common room Watch

Callipygian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
At Christmas we bought in a football table in to school and left it in the sixth form common room. It is 20p for a game (for three balls) and we just counted up all the money and we have just over £200. (we've taken it to the bank and got it converted into notes)

Currently in the common room we have a kitchen area with the usual, so we dont need anything new there.
We have a pool table, with one que and heavyly chipped pool balls, so we would consider replacing those but the problem is not many people use the pool table so it wouldn't really be too fair on the rest of the sixth form. Oh we also have a computer room, so we wouldn't buy anything on the IT front..

I need ideas of what we could get, what do you have in your common rooms that everyone likes?

Once i've got enough ideas we're going to have a vote of the best ones at school. Thanks :p:
annab1684
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We have tables and chairs and packets of cards
I'm jealous of you!
eulerwaswrong
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so jealous of you - we tried getting a table football table but we were told we would need to give half profits to school.

Theyve taken away our kitchen.

cry cry

We have nothing
figureeight
Badges: 10
Report 10 years ago
Wow, you are living in relative luxury. In our common room, we have a TV that noone watches and a distinct lack of chairs. That's about it. Lovely eh?

Not everyone will like/enjoy using whatever you get as much as others, just bear that in mind. You can't please everyone.
Callipygian
Rep:
?
We have tables and those kind of generic staff room chairs. We bring in our own cards.
We stole the ping pong table from under a stairwell but we have basicly no room now since there are so many year 12s...
gLace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
we have, crappy blue chairs, they got rid of all the sofa's

a fish tank which is dominated by the tankers.

and a kitchen.

oh and a cd player which only plays the radio and ipods.
noodles!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Our common room consisted of far too few chairs, tables, and a tiny kitchen thing People brought in cards, and/or gossiped a lot (all girls' school)

You're lucky!
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We had comfy chairs and a snackbar. You kids have everything far too easy these days.
anteguardian
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
Wow.. your 6th form sounds similar to mine

We have comfy chairs galore; all different colours, and then we have proper wooden tables with wooden chairs where we can study...
We also have about 20 computers, and a kitchen area thats huge
Pool table, football table, and an electronic projecter that we watch telly on/ movies (even ones that people obtain *cough* through non-legal *cough* methods haha xD)
Oh, and also 3 modern classrooms ^^

I know how you feel about not knowing what to spend funds on... we are getting a huge influx of money from these peripherals, but usually it goes on things like subsidising trips to theme parks, balls, etc...

Perhaps you can organise an event that everyone can enjoy??
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow.

We don't even have a common room!

We have a 'study room' thats got loads of PCs in and then desks and chairs... Apparently, they got rid of the 'common room' about 5 years ago as they thought a 'study room' would make for better use of our free periods.

Lucky you is all I can say lol!
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We used to have 3 pool tables, 1 table tennis table, 1 table football table, 1 air hockey table and a shop, but 2 of the pool tables were damaged and have been got rid of until summer when they'll be replaced

Any of these things would be worth getting.

(and quite manageable considering we're a perfectly normal state school, all of these things were bought from the profits of the shop - our head of 6th is a business/economics teacher )

Why do you have to pay for your table football? We don't here, its all free stuff. Why don't you have a shop and use the profits from that? (ignore Jamie Oliver, we sell plenty of crap in it like pot noodles)
southernlight
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well our common room got cleared out of the comfy blue staff-room esque chairs because we weren't doing any work with them there... they replaced them with tables and hard chairs now the common room is virtually desolated...

can you get a TV for £200? just a small one with a video slot, so you dont use it for actual TV shows, but can watch lots of videos on it?
Callipygian
Rep:
?
Oh forgot to mention our CD player+massive speakers (it plays everything) but that was all bought in by students, as was our pool table....
francescarella
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah all we have is too many y12s, a lot of tables and not enough chairs. a kitchen, sum really weird hot drinks machine, and this "breakfast bar" with bar stools. other than that, nowt.
oh and we have an adjacent computer room whihc everyone uses to swing about on those office chairs. and downstairs we have a study area that the y12 overspill use as an alternative common room.
Callipygian
Rep:
?
Yeah we could get a TV but theres not really anything on during the day, also our school is a bit nazi on what were allowed, so i dont think they would agree to a TV somehow...
In addition to that anything electrical has to be checked by an engineer to make sure its electricaly safe.
tomoli
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A dartboard? Or can you see that ending in disaster?
tomoli
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Callipygian)
Yeah we could get a TV but theres not really anything on during the day, also our school is a bit nazi on what were allowed, so i dont think they would agree to a TV somehow...
In addition to that anything electrical has to be checked by an engineer to make sure its electricaly safe.
Bloody hell, we would kill for a pool/football table in our common room. Count yourselves lucky.
Callipygian
Rep:
?
A shop sounds mega cool, but the canteen are organiseing a student staffed stall which will sell paninis and stuff in the common room anyway (since they stoped us pushing in the canteen queue and we wern't happy at all)

And the school wouldnt be to happy about us making obvious money like that (would make us give it away to charity/school or something), i dont think they realised the football table was a pay one.
Callipygian
Rep:
?
(Original post by tomoli)
Bloody hell, we would kill for a pool/football table in our common room. Count yourselves lucky.
It was bought in by a student.

Dartboard would end in disaster, we've already broken the celing a little bit from common room cricket..
* Catrin *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
get a wii! we have one and have attached it to the tv in the small common room...suppose we are quite lucky at my school we have:

Small common room: TV, Wii, Hi-Fi and comfy chairs

Large common room: Comfy chairs, Hi-fi and pool table, also all the toilets etc come off here

Study room: loads of computers, printer, a big group workspace with comfy chairs o and the careers office along with Head of Sixth form office and all the university prospectuses ever invented!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (91)
26%
No (259)
74%

Watched Threads