The Student Room Group

Nursing Degree Problems

So basically, I am in my second year of my nursing degree and I have had a few absences from placement. This has been an ongoing issue due to the fact I did not initially get it in to a local University and have had to find accommodation far away from where I live every time I have a placement. I have to leave my son behind with my parents and I’ve found this difficult. Academically I am been fine and have passed all my second year modules. I just have one placement outstanding to complete year 2.
Anyway, my University suddenly sent me a letter “questioning my fitness to practice” due to absences and are questioning my “health.” I am perfectly healthy I have just had the issues that I have explained above. They have said either I leave now with a Dip HE level 5 or they will put me through a disciplinary procedure which could result in me having a disciplinary on my record. What should I do? Should I leave the University to avoid the disciplinary? Also could I use the Dip HE at a later date somewhere more local and become a nurse that way? Or will they just think I’m a drop out? I’m assuming if I had a disciplinary no other Uni would touch me so I want to avoid it.
Original post by Kiwi3114
So basically, I am in my second year of my nursing degree and I have had a few absences from placement. This has been an ongoing issue due to the fact I did not initially get it in to a local University and have had to find accommodation far away from where I live every time I have a placement. I have to leave my son behind with my parents and I’ve found this difficult. Academically I am been fine and have passed all my second year modules. I just have one placement outstanding to complete year 2.
Anyway, my University suddenly sent me a letter “questioning my fitness to practice” due to absences and are questioning my “health.” I am perfectly healthy I have just had the issues that I have explained above. They have said either I leave now with a Dip HE level 5 or they will put me through a disciplinary procedure which could result in me having a disciplinary on my record. What should I do? Should I leave the University to avoid the disciplinary? Also could I use the Dip HE at a later date somewhere more local and become a nurse that way? Or will they just think I’m a drop out? I’m assuming if I had a disciplinary no other Uni would touch me so I want to avoid it.

If they're going down the route of FtP over your absences then you must have had quite a bit of time off, is there no way you can make the time up?
I’m not sure how it works with unis but a disciplinary at work doesn’t necessary mean you get sacked so may be work looking into whether it’s definitely a kick you off the course situation. Maybe if you explain, apologise and make your hours up you may be ok. X

Quick Reply

Latest