The Student Room Group

Is it just me or do straight people have it so much easier when it comes to dating?

I sort of wish that I was straight now, purely because it would make it so much easier to date someone. As a gay 16 year old still in high school, I feel as if dating/getting a boyfriend is completely impossible.

Statistically, there are around 125 people in my year at school. That would mean about just over 60 guys. Let's say that 5 are gay. I am one of them, so there are 4 people to choose from. Very little choice, not to mention whether or not I am interested in them and vice-versa.

For the straight people, if they try, they should find someone that they are compatible with. Many find it in school, but some find it outside as well.

I don't want to still be single by the time I reach 20. 3.5 years left of my teens. How can I do it?

Straight people - you have it easier, please don't take it for granted.

Scroll to see replies

Dating seems hard for everyone but i do agree that it's harder to find someone as a gay person just cos there are much fewer of us :/
Reply 2
There are plenty of ways to meet other gay people such as going to clubs and apps such as tinder. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about being single at age 20, plenty of people are and there is more to life than simply dating, having a partner isn't everything in life.
You are right, but I think you knew that already and it's implied given that the standard/majority sexuality is straight.
Don't worry I'll be straight and still single at 20 so everyone is different...
Oh wait, you aren't even 2 lol. Rip me man
Original post by T.J.A
There are plenty of ways to meet other gay people such as going to clubs and apps such as tinder. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about being single at age 20, plenty of people are and there is more to life than simply dating, having a partner isn't everything in life.

I know, but I have lived for 16.5 years and would like to find some form of love, or at least try in the dating world. As it stands, I can't really go to clubs, nor do I want to use Grindr/Tinder.
bruh. I'm straight and I'm still single. Imagine how I must feel.
Reply 6
Original post by Joe2001
I know, but I have lived for 16.5 years and would like to find some form of love, or at least try in the dating world. As it stands, I can't really go to clubs, nor do I want to use Grindr/Tinder.

I mean fair enough, that's how I felt last year as well as one of only two gays guys in my year. One of the best things you can do now is just to go out and make new friends really, you never know what might happen.
Once you're eighteen you can start using dating websites. That's where I've met all my same-sex partners.
The issue isn't your sexuality.

It's that you're only 16.
Reply 9
How many of them are girls?

Original post by Joe2001
I sort of wish that I was straight now, purely because it would make it so much easier to date someone. As a gay 16 year old still in high school, I feel as if dating/getting a boyfriend is completely impossible.

Statistically, there are around 125 people in my year at school. That would mean about just over 60 guys. Let's say that 5 are gay. I am one of them, so there are 4 people to choose from. Very little choice, not to mention whether or not I am interested in them and vice-versa.

For the straight people, if they try, they should find someone that they are compatible with. Many find it in school, but some find it outside as well.

I don't want to still be single by the time I reach 20. 3.5 years left of my teens. How can I do it?

If there aren't any LGBT groups at your school, check the local area for clubs/meetup places. There's also some dating apps, but you usually have to be 18+ to use them. Your options are pretty limited while you're underage.
http://www.datingadvice.com/best-of/12-best-lgbt-dating-apps-of-2015
And yeah straights have it waaay easier. There's like a 99% chance that whenever they see someone of the same sex that that person will be straight. We have to rely on Tumblr, plaid shirts and prolonged eye contact.
Reply 11
Original post by Joe2001

Where do you live? If it’s a big city you should have lots of opportunities to meet people even if you are only 16 and gay. If you live somewhere like a small village I can understand it must be much more difficult and you’ll probably have to wait until you’re 18 to take trips to places like London and Brighton :wink:
Original post by CoolCavy
Dating seems hard for everyone but i do agree that it's harder to find someone as a gay person just cos there are much fewer of us :/

Not really. Men who are ugly, socially awkward and not that confident will have an extremely hard time dating. But if you're good looking and sexually attractive, good in social situations and confident, dating will be easy!

You might be looking in the wrong places, though. It could help to look at LGBT venues (IE gay bars) and clubs. They aren't that widespread. If you use a dating app like Tinder, you're probably going to have a much easier time.
Original post by G.Y
Where do you live? If it’s a big city you should have lots of opportunities to meet people even if you are only 16 and gay. If you live somewhere like a small village I can understand it must be much more difficult and you’ll probably have to wait until you’re 18 to take trips to places like London and Brighton :wink:

I am near Glasgow.
Original post by J_MR
How many of them are girls?

I'm assuming about 50% of them, so around 60.
Original post by Sulfolobus
The issue isn't your sexuality.

It's that you're only 16.

Several other people my age are in relationships.
Original post by Cuddly Lizard
Not really. Men who are ugly, socially awkward and not that confident will have an extremely hard time dating. But if you're good looking and sexually attractive, good in social situations and confident, dating will be easy!

Yes really. That man still has more people that have the capacity to be attracted to him than someone who is gay with those factors (i.e) me. Being gay and ugly/socially awkward etc is obviously going to make dating harder than someone who is straight and those things
If we omit bars (underage) and dating apps (find them creepy), are there any other ways to do it?
Here's what I am looking for if I were to get a boyfriend:

- I couldn't give a monkey's about masc vs fem. What I can't stand is when they are too much of one or the other. The overly masc types scare me, and whilst I like fem guys as people, I couldn't have a relationship with a flamboyant type that is constantly "on" 24/7 (if you know what I mean). I just find that exhausting.

- Someone who I find physically attractive. I'm the judge of that, but there should be enough choices out there. I love the really cute types and blue eyes are a bonus. I have my type as does everyone else. IMO, most attractive people in media include Miles Heizer (13 Reasons Why actor) and AJ Pritchard (Strictly pro).

- Someone who is kind and endearing. Someone who I can just love being around and feel equal to. Not an arrogant, loud or gobby person who thinks only of themselves or treats me as lesser than them.

- Someone who isn't emotionally needy and can help support themselves.

- Someone who has their own desires in life and isn't 'behind' me (if that makes sense). Not someone who is going to live on the minimum wage with no ambition for their whole life.

Those are 5 key things off the top of my head. Are they unrealistic or could I find someone who fits the mold?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Joe2001
I'm assuming about 50% of them, so around 60.

Ok well just think about how many straight people are in relationships... At my school, we have a year group of around 200. I'd say maybe 10 people are in a relationship (4 of whom are gay)?! IDK But I don't think many people find each other until an older age, like none of the people in your year group have exactly the same interests as you, so it's unlikely you'll find a match...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending