Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'A bacterial cell contains 1050 different proteins but only one sort of polysaccharide. Explain why'

ReputationRep:
    The 'sort' of polysaccharide is proteins. There can be one polysaccharide (protein) in a bacterial cell, but 1000+ types due to the fact protein structure varies and is governed by DNA bases ( shown in transcription and translation).
    Thus: the 1 polysaccharide = protein
    The 1000+ proteins = due to the variation in primary structure of DNA and so the variation in tertiary structure.

Does this make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyegg)
    The 'sort' of polysaccharide is proteins. There can be one polysaccharide (protein) in a bacterial cell, but 1000+ types due to the fact protein structure varies and is governed by DNA bases ( shown in transcription and translation).
    Thus: the 1 polysaccharide = protein
    The 1000+ proteins = due to the variation in primary structure of DNA and so the variation in tertiary structure.

Does this make sense?
    Thanks for replying!
    Yeah sort of, so there is only one type of polysaccharide but many different forms of that one type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opar1000)
    Thanks for replying!
    Yeah sort of, so there is only one type of polysaccharide but many different forms of that one type?
    Yep, so the one type of polysaccharide is protein as a whole, but due to varying dna base sequences, there can be many sorts of proteins
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yep, so the one type of polysaccharide is protein as a whole, but due to varying dna base sequences, there can be many sorts of proteins
    Is that so? Aren't you mixing 'polymer' up with 'polysaccharide'? Polysaccharides are sugars iirc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabzinc)
    Is that so? Aren't you mixing 'polymer' up with 'polysaccharide'? Polysaccharides are sugars iirc
    Yeah I did notice that, and meant to correct OP but you beat me to it ha.
    I’m assuming OP did mean polymer

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did notice that, and meant to correct OP but you beat me to it ha.
    I’m assuming OP did mean polymer
    oh ok cool just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something

ReputationRep:
    Well the bacteria DNA can code for all sorts of proteins as Im sure you know but it cannot code for polysaccharides, so I assume the only kind it means is the ribose in the DNA itself.

There can only be one kind as it is kind of a necessity for the DNA to work.

Although this isn’t strictly true either as their are other polysaccharides involved within a bacterial cell.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the question (if it does mean “only one type of polyMER” is found in bacterial cells) is wrong. There are polypeptides, but bacterial cells also have other polymers - the bacterial chromosome and plasmids contain DNA (a polynucleotide) and RNA will be present also, again a polynucleotide. So, for the question to state that there is only one kind of polymer in bacterial cells is not true.

The cell wall in bacteria is made of peptidoglycan, which is not purely a sugar molecule, but does certainly contain polysaccharide molecules. So, if the OP was in fact correct in their wording of the question (which if they’re not, the question is stating something false), this is my best guess as to what a possible answer could be.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the question actually says polysaccharide, its not a past paper question just a question given by my teacher, unless they've made a typo? Or is there anyway that this question could be answered relating to polysaccharides?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsg9)
    Surely the question (if it does mean “only one type of polyMER” is found in bacterial cells) is wrong. There are polypeptides, but bacterial cells also have other polymers - the bacterial chromosome and plasmids contain DNA (a polynucleotide) and RNA will be present also, again a polynucleotide. So, for the question to state that there is only one kind of polymer in bacterial cells is not true.

The cell wall in bacteria is made of peptidoglycan, which is not purely a sugar molecule, but does certainly contain polysaccharide molecules. So, if the OP was in fact correct in their wording of the question (which if they’re not, the question is stating something false), this is my best guess as to what a possible answer could be.
    Is there any way that could be linked back to the number of different proteins? or explained how there is only one polysaccharide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opar1000)
    Yeah the question actually says polysaccharide, its not a past paper question just a question given by my teacher, unless they've made a typo? Or is there anyway that this question could be answered relating to polysaccharides?
    I'm pretty certain polysaccharide is a mistake.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.