What level 3 extended diploma (btec) do i chose to do law as a course in uni?

Watch
123kimsorianox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ive done some research, universities accept BTEC level 3 extended diplomas for law which apparently counts as three Alevels... The thing is some universities dislike it when you take law as a course for college because they like to teach you the course from scratch in uni... but if i want to take law for university?? and i cant take ''law'' btec in college??? what other options would i have except for anything non law related?

I was thinking of taking applied law national certificate (level 3 btec) which seems like the only btec option for me at my college atm but im just not sure whether universities would even accept it because its not an ''extended diploma'' which is something moist high ranking unis look for anyway as a replacement for not doing Alevels. This honestly confuses me.... whats the difference between an extended diploma and a national certificate... since they're both ''level 3 btec's'' wouldn't they be considered the same? someone please tell me
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 123kimsorianox)
Ive done some research, universities accept BTEC level 3 extended diplomas for law which apparently counts as three Alevels... The thing is some universities dislike it when you take law as a course for college because they like to teach you the course from scratch in uni... but if i want to take law for university?? and i cant take ''law'' btec in college??? what other options would i have except for anything non law related?

I was thinking of taking applied law national certificate (level 3 btec) which seems like the only btec option for me at my college atm but im just not sure whether universities would even accept it because its not an ''extended diploma'' which is something moist high ranking unis look for anyway as a replacement for not doing Alevels. This honestly confuses me.... whats the difference between an extended diploma and a national certificate... since they're both ''level 3 btec's'' wouldn't they be considered the same? someone please tell me
There has traditionally been different levels of btec the extended diploma is classed as 3 a levels for most but not all universities and courses. The diploma is classed as 2 A levels and the subsidiary 1. The certificate was like an AS. However Pearson have recently changed the names so contact them for further advice. The only way of knowing what universities will accept is looking through the entrey requirements.
The figures show Swansea require D,D,D in an
18 Unit BTEC
National Dip.

The details for law at swansea are listed below

What you will need to study at Swansea

To find out the entry requirement for a particular course that you are interested in, check out the course page by using our course finder facility.
Don't forget that if you obtain grades AAA - AAB or quivalent, you will qualify for an Excellence or Merit Scholarship - see here for further information.
Qualifications in the UK are currently undergoing significant reform; Swansea University has carefully considered the information available so far on the changes and a statement has been published which can be found here - http://www.swansea.ac.uk/admissions/...icationreform/
The entry requirements are listed in terms of A levels but you can easily translate across what that might mean for you if you are studying for a different qualification by using the tables below - select the A level grades required then scroll across to your chosen qualifications:

A-Levels
(tariff points)
18 Unit BTEC
National Dip.
European
Baccalaureate
French
Baccalaureate

GermanAbitur

AAA (144)

DDD

85% 16 1.2–1.4

AAB (136)

80% 15 1.5-1.7

ABB (128)

DDM

77%

14 1.8-2.1

BBB (120)

75%

13 2.2-2.4

BBC (112)

DMM

73%
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
as can be seen below for computer studies you need specific btecs but nothing is shown for law.
BTEC students: BTEC extended diploma must be either Computing or Information Technology.
TheJohnM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just do a law access course. It provides more structure, free in most circumstances and it can get you into any law uni in the country just like alevels.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unfortunately, there is not an Extended version of the Law BTEC due to there not being enough units.

It is possible to do Business BTEC with a Law pathway however.

Or a BTEC in Public Services is probably the most relevant.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
this is what Birmingham university state
BTEC Extended Diploma in the following subject areas will be considered: Business and Law. Grades required - D*D*D* and distinctions in all units. Other BTEC Extended Diploma’s may be considered if offered alongside an A level in a one of our preferred subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (175)
44.3%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.89%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.01%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.87%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.82%

Watched Threads