Should i get a car when i pass my test or wait? Watch

stephlmx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I am sitting my driving test for the first time at the end of June and i am tempted to get a car when i pass. Ive been told that i could quite easily buy a car with my savings and although insurance is expensive on top of that, i am aware you only pay that once a year. Buying a car would give me independence and would allow me to continue driving.

Although, i do not need a car. I am moving back to university in September and so the car would sit at home and only be driven by me once in a while. I will be spending money on private university accommodation, however i am pretty sure i will still have money to afford a car. I don't go to uni until September so i could drive a lot before i go. At least i would not have to spend a lot of money on petrol if i am not driving all that often.

Question is, should i buy a car when i pass or wait till i need a car (which could be a few years?)
theblow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a serious decision and you must accept it yourself. In this issue, there are many nuances. I think you know the answer to you one question.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are going back to uni then id wait until you finish uni before getting a car. Yes, you have more independence with a car, but you wont have the opportunity to drive it half the time. And by the time you finish uni and come to get a car- although you wont have any no claims, it should be slightly cheaper as you will be older anyway.
PrazzPrazz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stephlmx)
hi,

i am sitting my driving test for the first time at the end of june and i am tempted to get a car when i pass. Ive been told that i could quite easily buy a car with my savings and although insurance is expensive on top of that, i am aware you only pay that once a year. Buying a car would give me independence and would allow me to continue driving.

Although, i do not need a car. I am moving back to university in september and so the car would sit at home and only be driven by me once in a while. I will be spending money on private university accommodation, however i am pretty sure i will still have money to afford a car. I don't go to uni until september so i could drive a lot before i go. At least i would not have to spend a lot of money on petrol if i am not driving all that often.

Question is, should i buy a car when i pass or wait till i need a car (which could be a few years?)
get the car!!!!1
livk21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd say get the car. You will be able to practice driving in between uni rather than finishing having not driven for a couple of years at least!! And you can build up a no claims which would equal cheaper insurance when you're done. Plus having your own car is really quite fun ))
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't get a car-it will be sitting at home most of the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (117)
59.39%
Yes- I don't like it (10)
5.08%
No- I want it (56)
28.43%
No- I don't want it (14)
7.11%

Watched Threads