Turn on thread page Beta

Dropped out of uni and don't know what to do now watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I started university last year studying fashion design but lasted about 3 months before dropping out in January.
    I wasn't enjoying my course (it was very unorganised and I realised it isn't what I want to do in the future), I have pretty bad anxiety/social anxiety and only had one friend in my accommodation who I still barely spoke to, I don't like drinking either so I basically never left my room, and I get insomnia (on top of other loud noises, music, shouting and stuff in the halls at night) but I get insomnia especially when I'm stressed out and in the last few weeks I was at uni I got about 2-3 hours sleep every night and kept waking up going straight into anxiety attacks and that whole time period left me feeling very disturbed and for some reason I developed loads of random fears (think that might have been my anxiety worsening or something but idk).
    It's kind of hard to explain but I now have a horrible fear of the dark (i'm guessing due to that whole insomnia ordeal) and my grandad died just before I started uni and it only really hit me in those last few weeks before I left uni and I developed this pretty intense fear of death or anything relating to it (illness, disease etc. became a bit of a hypochondriac).

Sorry that was quite long, I've not even got to the main thing I want to talk about yet (soz). But its been a few months now since I left and I still have no idea what to do with my life. I go into my mum's work a couple of days a week and get a little bit of money for doing work, but really it's not much at all. I'm only really okay with it cause my Mum's there too, and as I said I have pretty bad social anxiety, so if I need help I'll just ask her but I can't ever pluck up the courage to ask someone else for help.
    I started volunteering in a charity shop (lord knows how I got the courage to do that) which isn't so bad but I still spend the whole time freaking out about whether I'm doing things right or if everyone hates me or about the fact I'm being abnormally quiet compared to everyone else.

My mum got me some counselling sessions about my social anxiety, I've had some before, but really they don't help a great lot, I just get given a pile of sheets and get told the only person who can really do anything to get rid of my anxiety is myself which I kinda understand, but still, I've not got any more confident than I used to be.

I've tried searching so many times for a job that I could do, even just a small job to start with whilst I get used to that kind of working environment, but there's nothing that appeals to me or nothing that I feel like I could cope with with my anxiety. As I said (i think i said it anyway) I studied fashion design at uni before dropping out, and at A-levels I studied art, English language and textiles so I'm quite creative but I feel like I'm definitely not skilled enough to go into a job that relies on my creativity too much cause I'm definitely not crazy talented or anything, but just a job that perhaps uses a little bit of creativity would be good. But I literally can't find anything that I'd be interested in -_-

Also, I can't drive yet (I'm learning theory at the moment though), so it would have to be a job close by for me to commute to easily, but I live in a small village and there's hardly anything around.

I've probably said far too much for anyone to actually read but I've probably still missed off loads of things I wanted to say!

Long story short, does anyone have any advice on what to do now? Or what careers you think would be good for me to start off in? or if anyone else is going through a similar thing that would honestly make me feel a whole lot better!

Again, sorry if this was long but if anyone actually bothered reading it all thanks a lot!

(Original post by AwkwardHuman)
    I started university last year studying fashion design but lasted about 3 months before dropping out in January.
    I wasn't enjoying my course (it was very unorganised and I realised it isn't what I want to do in the future), I have pretty bad anxiety/social anxiety and only had one friend in my accommodation who I still barely spoke to, I don't like drinking either so I basically never left my room, and I get insomnia (on top of other loud noises, music, shouting and stuff in the halls at night) but I get insomnia especially when I'm stressed out and in the last few weeks I was at uni I got about 2-3 hours sleep every night and kept waking up going straight into anxiety attacks and that whole time period left me feeling very disturbed and for some reason I developed loads of random fears (think that might have been my anxiety worsening or something but idk).
    It's kind of hard to explain but I now have a horrible fear of the dark (i'm guessing due to that whole insomnia ordeal) and my grandad died just before I started uni and it only really hit me in those last few weeks before I left uni and I developed this pretty intense fear of death or anything relating to it (illness, disease etc. became a bit of a hypochondriac).

Sorry that was quite long, I've not even got to the main thing I want to talk about yet (soz). But its been a few months now since I left and I still have no idea what to do with my life. I go into my mum's work a couple of days a week and get a little bit of money for doing work, but really it's not much at all. I'm only really okay with it cause my Mum's there too, and as I said I have pretty bad social anxiety, so if I need help I'll just ask her but I can't ever pluck up the courage to ask someone else for help.
    I started volunteering in a charity shop (lord knows how I got the courage to do that) which isn't so bad but I still spend the whole time freaking out about whether I'm doing things right or if everyone hates me or about the fact I'm being abnormally quiet compared to everyone else.

My mum got me some counselling sessions about my social anxiety, I've had some before, but really they don't help a great lot, I just get given a pile of sheets and get told the only person who can really do anything to get rid of my anxiety is myself which I kinda understand, but still, I've not got any more confident than I used to be.

I've tried searching so many times for a job that I could do, even just a small job to start with whilst I get used to that kind of working environment, but there's nothing that appeals to me or nothing that I feel like I could cope with with my anxiety. As I said (i think i said it anyway) I studied fashion design at uni before dropping out, and at A-levels I studied art, English language and textiles so I'm quite creative but I feel like I'm definitely not skilled enough to go into a job that relies on my creativity too much cause I'm definitely not crazy talented or anything, but just a job that perhaps uses a little bit of creativity would be good. But I literally can't find anything that I'd be interested in -_-

Also, I can't drive yet (I'm learning theory at the moment though), so it would have to be a job close by for me to commute to easily, but I live in a small village and there's hardly anything around.

I've probably said far too much for anyone to actually read but I've probably still missed off loads of things I wanted to say!

Long story short, does anyone have any advice on what to do now? Or what careers you think would be good for me to start off in? or if anyone else is going through a similar thing that would honestly make me feel a whole lot better!

Again, sorry if this was long but if anyone actually bothered reading it all thanks a lot!
    Heyyy you seem like you have been through a lot in such a short period of time and that’s probably what’s causing you to feel that anxious. I feel like you need to figure out whether you want to work or go back to uni and if so look at other courses and as you took very broad alevels you will have quiet a few options. Look into fashion journalism at uni it sounds like a course that could work for you. Or maybe do an apprenticeship. I feel like having your future sorted out and having a purpose helped me with my anxiety so it might work for you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2018
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.