Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, okay so i just got my summer report card and i basically failed most of my A level subjects. I am currently working at an E in biology, a D in English literature and an A/B in sociology. i can't believe i did better in sociology because i studied and prioritized biology a lot more mainly because i want to study it further in the future. what am i doing wrong? I study and work my butt off yet i'm still failing biology. I got a U in paper 1 and an E in paper 2 despite the amount of revision i did. Please, if you have any advise, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jih)
    Hi, okay so i just got my summer report card and i basically failed most of my A level subjects. I am currently working at an E in biology, a D in English literature and an A/B in sociology. i can't believe i did better in sociology because i studied and prioritized biology a lot more mainly because i want to study it further in the future. what am i doing wrong? I study and work my butt off yet i'm still failing biology. I got a U in paper 1 and an E in paper 2 despite the amount of revision i did. Please, if you have any advise, let me know.
    Sociology is alot easier for one lol....

What are your passions, right now your in a crisis, you need to figure out what the plan after a level is to be...and i would need to know to guide you in your decision making process.

ReputationRep:
    Biology is a very difficult subject, not in terms of topics but when it comes to the exam. The best thing to do for that is to do past papers and mark it using the mark scheme. You may know a topic really well however they want you to answer in a certain way, so write down model answers if you get a question on the paper wrong. Most exam boards recycle questions, putting a slight spin on it, so do past papers, even papers with the older spec will suffice, just omit the questions you know is not in your spec. Print out the specification and go through the entire thing ticking everything you're confident in and revising weaker topics. Even when revising topics do some topic-specific past paper questions,(physics and maths tutor good for topic-specific questions) now is not the time for making notes, depending on how close your exams are. Sociology does not really require revision so prioritize bio and eng lit, bio more though. Hope this was helpful and if you put enough work in you can definitely get a good grade, it never too late to start putting the work in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    Sociology is alot easier for one lol....

What are your passions, right now your in a crisis, you need to figure out what the plan after a level is to be...and i would need to know to guide you in your decision making process.
    So the thing is, i really enjoy biology and want to study it further in the future. I need to be predicted a B at the very least and right now, according to my biology teacher, she thinks i'm working at an E, well thats what she wrote in my report.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinewave17)
    Biology is a very difficult subject, not in terms of topics but when it comes to the exam. The best thing to do for that is to do past papers and mark it using the mark scheme. You may know a topic really well however they want you to answer in a certain way, so write down model answers if you get a question on the paper wrong. Most exam boards recycle questions, putting a slight spin on it, so do past papers, even papers with the older spec will suffice, just omit the questions you know is not in your spec. Print out the specification and go through the entire thing ticking everything you're confident in and revising weaker topics. Even when revising topics do some topic-specific past paper questions,(physics and maths tutor good for topic-specific questions) now is not the time for making notes, depending on how close your exams are. Sociology does not really require revision so prioritize bio and eng lit, bio more though. Hope this was helpful and if you put enough work in you can definitely get a good grade, it never too late to start putting the work in.
    Okay, thank you very much. i'm definitely going to work a lot harder and make sure i'm confident in all the topics.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jih)
    If you intend to work in Biology then you really needed another science and preferably Chemistry.

You have to have a think what you want to do , assess your determination to do it and talk with your teacher.

You can drag yourself up from an E, but you need to id what is going wrong and why you arent getting to grips with the core material. You can put this right over the summer if you work through.

ReputationRep:
    use your teacher more, they're a useful tool so use them

ReputationRep:
    I think it's clear that if you did as much revision as you say you did, but still got those grades, then the way you are revising is not what works for you.

Speak to friends, speak to teachers, see what they suggest. Try figuring out different ways to revise. I personally need to read the material, write it and speak it out loud at the same time, summarising key facts/concepts as I go. Any other method of revision just doesn't work for me.

It's not about working the hardest, it's about working hard in the way that works for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jih)
    So the thing is, i really enjoy biology and want to study it further in the future. I need to be predicted a B at the very least and right now, according to my biology teacher, she thinks i'm working at an E, well thats what she wrote in my report.
    Well one science is nice, but all science based degrees, requires maths and another science...you will either need to convince her to predict you higher...and maybe get lucky at a lower ranked uni that will take you on to do science without facilitating subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    Well one science is nice, but all science based degrees, requires maths and another science...you will either need to convince her to predict you higher...and maybe get lucky at a lower ranked uni that will take you on to do science without facilitating subjects.
    This is true too, I hadn't noticed this in your original post.

If you want to do something like BSc Biology or whatever, two science subjects will be the minimum (one being mathematics is okay). Maths really is invaluable as so much of any sciences degree relies on mathematics, be it via calculations for your course or statistics for papers/reports. There will be some universities that will take you with a single science, but they will be down the league tables and even then you're competing against people who have two sciences so it's not guaranteed.

You can definitely get yourself up to AAA/ABB with a lot of study and working out what works for you, but think about where you are wanting to go and whether or not you fit their entry requirements.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.