A-Level Maths In One Year Watch

Overground
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So I'm in year 11.

I quite like the idea of doing the whole A-Level in one year, as this gives me the option of keeping all my subjects in the second year and getting 4 A2s. I would possibly do AS Further Maths in the second year, possibly not.

How hard is it to do A-Level Maths in one year? Will I need to work very hard?

Also, which is better, stats or mechanics? I got put down for stats, but would mechanics help me with physics? Which is easier? Statistics sounds pretty boring..

Help much appreciaated
u_dun_noe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A-level maths in one year (can) be difficult, im in year 11 and currently doing AS maths...I'm finding it quite easy.
I can assure you that AS maths is easy- A2 is what you need to worry about slightly....

IMO, A-level maths in 1 year....it can be done...with a bit of work at A2....As for mechanics or stats? I would say stats is easier, but mechanics is easier as it's a better challenge...And yes, mechanics would help you with physics..slightly....
But then again, if you want to study an 'econ-type' subject at uni...do stats as your applied module.
uk_chip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its really not that hard at all... i did it plus 2 extra units (c1-4/m1,2/s1,2) but i did only scrap an A by like 9 ums the thing is i didnt put much time in out of lessons, if you did it should be comfortable, i wouldnt say i was amazing at maths im ever so slightly above average
fusionskd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did A-level maths in one year . Did c1, c2 and m1 by January then c3, c4 and s1 by June...Got an A overall too
turgon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its perfectly doable but it also depends on your GCSE ability at maths. If you're at a high A/A* standard at the end of GCSE you'll be ok.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did this, it's pretty common for Further Mathematicians. We did C1, C2 & S1 in January, then C3, C4 and D1 in June. There were 8 of us; 2 dropped out at the end of Year 12 so that they just got an A-level in Maths, then the rest of us are carrying it on - we just did FP1, FP2 and S2 in Jan and will do FP3, M1 and S3 in the summer. I'd say that if maths is your forté and you put work in, it shouldn't be too bad.

FYI, out of our class, 1 is going to do Maths at uni, 2 to do biology, 1 to do economics, 1 to do Engineering and 1 to do Architecture. But there has been people who did this fast track maths course intending to do law, politics etc.

For econ I'd say stats would be more useful. S1 was slightly tedious, but S2 was quite interesting.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did AS Maths in Year 11, and found it very manageable. I will have my full A-Level by the end of Year 12... I'm taking C3 and C4 in June.
I think the only word of warning would be trying not to stack the modules too heavily. You will probably need to be studying C1 and C2 ready for January examination... sometimes looking at C1 problems from a C2 perspective can lead to overcomplication and thus incorrect solutions. Of course, looking at C1 from a C2 perspective could also lead to a very easy ride... depends how you think. For option modules, I'd suggest S1 and D1. S1 because it isn't too much of a step up from GCSE, and D1 because it takes few hours of work to learn. M1 would be good if you are good at Physics.
Discuss it with your Maths teachers and/or parents, and decide if you have the work ethic and commitment to want to take on this much untimetabled work.
Good luck!
georgia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got an A* at GCSE Maths and found AS kind of difficult. C1 was easy, C2 was a bit tougher, but M1 was impossible (and I studied Physics right through to A2 and passed it rather well). My point is that it's hard to tell just by grades.
steve2006
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
same here i got an A* at GCSE and i find A2 maths over 2 years very challenging. To be honest C1 takes about 2 weeks to do, C2 about a month, S1 and M1 within a month but C3 and C4 are very hard i find. it wud be impossible for me to do it in a year and getting an A at the same time. Some people think its easy but C3 and C4 are next level. Lol i still aint got my head around it now and my exam is in about 2 months. lol
x_reggg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
doing A-levels maths in one year is certainly manageable, if you put in the work and are good at maths. i did my GCSE a year early and so started A-level maths early. i found C1 is pretty easy to do, C2 was okay but C3 and C4 were horrible.

for the applied, if you want an easy A, i would say go for D1 and M1. most of the maths in M1 is taught in physics, so it's easier to learn, but it doesn't mean it's any easier: i thought the mechanics module in physics was really easy, but i struggled through M1.

D1 doesn't involve a lot of maths, and the boundaries are low, so it's an easy A, but if you're not the type of person that likes non-mathy modules (like half of my further math class), you might suffer through it :p:
another pro for taking D1 is that if you take it now, you can take D2 for further maths. i've heard there's stuff from D2 that's used in economics, so it might be helpful

S1 is doable, but it's not really related to economics. i've seen application of stats much more in biology than in economics.
studyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is definitely doable! I did 5 modules in 6 months (C1, C2, C3, C4 and S1) C1 to C4 was taught by the same teacher while it is another one for S1. Each took almost one month but we did spend more time for C3 and C4.

Yes, mechanics does help you in Physics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.52%
No (286)
74.48%

Watched Threads