The Student Room Group

Letters to Summer - Jinkx Monsoon's Summer Bucket List 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Well, what are friends for besides making life fun?! :lol::lol:

(my buddy Katharine ended up making me have the Vengabus song stuck in my head for the entire resit exam... Jokes on her, she had most of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. #payback)

A friendship without eternal torment is no friendship at all!

OH MY GOD THAT'S AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE AND I APPLAUD IT. I got caught by the Vengabus plague too while I was packing (1am mindless bopping to the beat is a mood) and my Spotify called me out for it for the next two weeks, I completely understand.
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
A friendship without eternal torment is no friendship at all!

OH MY GOD THAT'S AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE AND I APPLAUD IT. I got caught by the Vengabus plague too while I was packing (1am mindless bopping to the beat is a mood) and my Spotify called me out for it for the next two weeks, I completely understand.

I showed her a D&D campaign on YouTube where it's part of one of the backstories, and she started humming it as we walked in. Combine this with the bird that nearly broke into the gym I was in hysterics. (One of the invigilators actually came up to me afterwards to see if I was okay bc she thought I was crying at the end - which was kind, but she looked a little put out when she realised it was me laughing.)
I showed her a D&D campaign on YouTube where it's part of one of the backstories, and she started humming it as we walked in. Combine this with the bird that nearly broke into the gym I was in hysterics. (One of the invigilators actually came up to me afterwards to see if I was okay bc she thought I was crying at the end - which was kind, but she looked a little put out when she realised it was me laughing.)

Oh my god, that's a nightmare. That poor invigilator!!! I mean, we've all had hysterical laughter fits at the end of a really bad exam, right? :colondollar: So it could have just looked like you'd reached the end of your rope.

When I think of Vengabus, I think of..... this iconic, beautiful, ageless, cursed video.

[video="youtube;b8HO6hba9ZE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8HO6hba9ZE[/video]
@Jinkx Monsoon

This is me catching up on all the posts I've missed :smile:
Oh no! Is your wrist feeling better now??? I hope it's okay!
Moving out of halls seems stressful! When I go to uni, I'll take as little as possible to avoid as much packing as possible!!! :smile:
I can relate to being a perfectionist and I hope you get the grade you want from the uni year!
Also your painting is incredible. I wish I was that talented!!! :colondollar:
At least your friends weren't too mean... it could have been worse if you'd let them decide the options... :biggrin:

25/06/2018 // TASK 034, IN PROGRESS

I already typed this once, but TSR decided to refresh on me. Second time's the charm, I guess!

So! I'm sorry for vanishing for the last week or so. My partner came down to visit me for a few days, and that coincided with a family crisis with another friend, and ... basically, I've been busy having both a great time and a very stressful one. :colondollar: My bucket list took a bit of a back seat, but I'm happy to report that I've put another task in the motions while I was away - task 034, aka my attempts to get some publishing work experience or a short internship.

Some of you might remember that this was one of my tasks from last year, except all of my attempts in 2017 were fruitless. I was rejected from all of the opportunities I signed up for, and ended up calling it a day on the task just for my attempts at trying.

It's been a similar story this year. The Penguin rejection email is one I'm getting more used to than I'd like to admit. :colonhash: Still, I've applied to a few similar short placements, and I'm working on applying for Usborne's week-long academy too in a few days, and...

.... Well, I haven't gotten anything yet. I'm not getting my hopes up - but I can confirm I've at least been shortlisted for a 2-week publishing placement with an indie publishing house in London!!! I applied through uni, and I got asked to do a casual phone interview this morning. I'm going to find out in the next few days whether I got the placement, or if someone else did.

If I don't get the placement, it's not the end of the world. The dates coincide with a few events my friends had planned, so I'll be able to go to them if it falls through, and it'd be great to see my college friends -- really, I'm just happy to have been shortlisted, and very reassured by the idea that I'm a genuinely strong candidate for these things. Of course, I'd be ecstatic if I got the placement, too! I'm just trying to keep my hopes down as much as possible. :redface:

I'll keep you guys posted on this front as soon as I know what's happening. Thanks for tuning in, nerds!

Original post by Ara8311a
@Jinkx Monsoon

This is me catching up on all the posts I've missed :smile:
Oh no! Is your wrist feeling better now??? I hope it's okay!
Moving out of halls seems stressful! When I go to uni, I'll take as little as possible to avoid as much packing as possible!!! :smile:
I can relate to being a perfectionist and I hope you get the grade you want from the uni year!
Also your painting is incredible. I wish I was that talented!!! :colondollar:
At least your friends weren't too mean... it could have been worse if you'd let them decide the options... :biggrin:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read all my silly posts!! I'll bullet point the answers as general updates, I think. <3

My wrist is still a little sore, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was. I think it just needed some rest after a lot of drawing. Remember to stretch out your hands, friends!

The best thing to do in halls (if you have a contract all the way through the year) is to bring some stuff back with you when you go home for Christmas and Easter! Especially if you live quite far away -- remember to bring back stuff you don't need, and try not to bring new stuff unless it's essential. But you want your halls to feel like home, so don't live in sparsity just because it's convenient. :tongue:

Thank you so much!!! I'll find out on Friday what my grade for the year is, and I'm bricking it, so thank you. ///

Thank you so much again!! Art is such a terrifying creature because it takes a lot of practice and a lot of time -- it's not a thing of talent, it's always a thing of hard work. I'm certain you could do much better than I can with a little time!

I am so relieved my friends didn't try to publicly humiliate me too much. :colonhash: I don't think I'd trust them enough to choose the options themselves -- it's that controlling/perfectionist streak in me again, argh.

27/06/2018 // TASK 032, IN PROGRESS

No news on the internship front yet (fingers crossed, but I'm not getting my hopes up) so! In the meanwhile, let me update you on some other tasks. :biggrin: This is one I've been painfully hard at work on for the last few weeks - it's proving to be a real menace, so I think I'm going to mark this task as complete once I get to 50, rather than 100. I just don't know if I have the time or the energy to manage 100 in this space of time, though I'm very proud of the efforts I've put in so far, and I definitely aim to finish the task before the end of the year!

So! The aim of this challenge is to draw 100 different OCs (original characters) to fill in the slots on the template. This sounds simple enough, and it definitely would have been if I hadn't decided to go all-in with colouring, lining, and shading each picture. :colonhash: But I'm an idiot, so!

Since I started the challenge on June 7th, I've completed exactly 25 of the 100 headshots, putting me at a quarter of the way through the task. That's not quite a month, but that pace makes me worry about managing 100 before the competition ends, so I'll play it by ear.

I think my favourites so far are Risphel (1x1), Betzalel (2x5), Ptolemy (3x5), and Isadore (4x3) - just for how the portraits themselves came out. The quality is a little variable, but that's to be expected in this fast-paced task, I suppose! I'd say each headshot takes me an hour or so to do, which is longer than I'd like, but I'm a very slow artist when it comes to colouring and lining. Hopefully continuing this task will help me attain a consistent artistic standard while also being able to speed up a little.

I love making OCs. I'm not much of a character designer, which is probably apparent in how many of these characters are wearing button-up shirts and jumpers, but I like trying. I have zero eye for fashion and an inability to understand colour schemes -- but heck if I don't like trying!

I'll update you guys as soon as I have any more news on tasks -- other than drawing, I've been neglecting a lot of them, which is a very foolish thing for me to do. Especially given that I'll be rushing to get them all done in August at this rate. :colondollar:

See you guys soon!
(edited 5 years ago)

25/06/2018 // TASK 034, IN PROGRESS

I already typed this once, but TSR decided to refresh on me. Second time's the charm, I guess!

So! I'm sorry for vanishing for the last week or so. My partner came down to visit me for a few days, and that coincided with a family crisis with another friend, and ... basically, I've been busy having both a great time and a very stressful one. :colondollar: My bucket list took a bit of a back seat, but I'm happy to report that I've put another task in the motions while I was away - task 034, aka my attempts to get some publishing work experience or a short internship.

Some of you might remember that this was one of my tasks from last year, except all of my attempts in 2017 were fruitless. I was rejected from all of the opportunities I signed up for, and ended up calling it a day on the task just for my attempts at trying.

It's been a similar story this year. The Penguin rejection email is one I'm getting more used to than I'd like to admit. :colonhash: Still, I've applied to a few similar short placements, and I'm working on applying for Usborne's week-long academy too in a few days, and...

.... Well, I haven't gotten anything yet. I'm not getting my hopes up - but I can confirm I've at least been shortlisted for a 2-week publishing placement with an indie publishing house in London!!! I applied through uni, and I got asked to do a casual phone interview this morning. I'm going to find out in the next few days whether I got the placement, or if someone else did.

If I don't get the placement, it's not the end of the world. The dates coincide with a few events my friends had planned, so I'll be able to go to them if it falls through, and it'd be great to see my college friends -- really, I'm just happy to have been shortlisted, and very reassured by the idea that I'm a genuinely strong candidate for these things. Of course, I'd be ecstatic if I got the placement, too! I'm just trying to keep my hopes down as much as possible. :redface:

I'll keep you guys posted on this front as soon as I know what's happening. Thanks for tuning in, nerds!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read all my silly posts!! I'll bullet point the answers as general updates, I think. <3

My wrist is still a little sore, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was. I think it just needed some rest after a lot of drawing. Remember to stretch out your hands, friends!

The best thing to do in halls (if you have a contract all the way through the year) is to bring some stuff back with you when you go home for Christmas and Easter! Especially if you live quite far away -- remember to bring back stuff you don't need, and try not to bring new stuff unless it's essential. But you want your halls to feel like home, so don't live in sparsity just because it's convenient. :tongue:

Thank you so much!!! I'll find out on Friday what my grade for the year is, and I'm bricking it, so thank you. ///

Thank you so much again!! Art is such a terrifying creature because it takes a lot of practice and a lot of time -- it's not a thing of talent, it's always a thing of hard work. I'm certain you could do much better than I can with a little time!

I am so relieved my friends didn't try to publicly humiliate me too much. :colonhash: I don't think I'd trust them enough to choose the options themselves -- it's that controlling/perfectionist streak in me again, argh.

I hope you manage to get some work experience!! :colondollar: Equally f you don't, then at least you get to hang out with your friends more! Thanks for the tips re uni moving- always good to be prepared!!! :biggrin:
I hope you manage to get some work experience!! :colondollar: Equally f you don't, then at least you get to hang out with your friends more! Thanks for the tips re uni moving- always good to be prepared!!! :biggrin:

Thank you so much!! Unfortunately, I didn't get the placement - I just found out this afternoon. I made it to the final stage, but didn't get chosen. ;; There's one more week placement in August I want to apply for, but if I don't get it, then I'll call it a day. :frown:
Thank you so much!! Unfortunately, I didn't get the placement - I just found out this afternoon. I made it to the final stage, but didn't get chosen. ;; There's one more week placement in August I want to apply for, but if I don't get it, then I'll call it a day. :frown:

Things have a funny way of working themselves out for the best in the end :colondollar:
Things have a funny way of working themselves out for the best in the end :colondollar:

Thank you so much for having faith in me. :colondollar:

I've been in a bit of a creative rut with the bucket list lately - mostly because it's TOO HOT to do anything, arghghh!! - but I'm going to get back on track as soon as I can! <3

I've been in a bit of a creative rut with the bucket list lately - mostly because it's TOO HOT to do anything, arghghh!! -3

All the more excuse to read the books you've never got around to yet!
(and it's not supposed to let up until at least next weekend...)
Original post by esteloftheeyrie
all the more excuse to read the books you've never got around to yet!
(and it's not supposed to let up until at least next weekend...)

but it's too hot to reaaaaaaaaaaad. :frown::frown::frown::frown:
but it's too hot to reaaaaaaaaaaad. :frown::frown::frown::frown:

02/07/2018 // TASK 031 COMPLETE!

It might be ridiculously hot, I might be nearly incapable of functioning, and I might be complaining endlessly -- but I've been completing a few tasks during that complaining session! Because I am what? ... Trying to function. :wink: Trying being, of course, the operative word.....

This task - to earn £20 on Qmee, a Chrome app where you answer surveys and earn a couple of pence per survey - was a bizarre choice in tasks, but at this point - with my distinct lack of placements and no job offers on the horizon - I'm happy to encourage any activities that get me a bit of spending money. :colondollar: It's very easy for me to lose track of time online, but through these surveys, I can both occupy my mind with some mindless nonsense and earn about 50p to £1 for each day I have a bash at them.

The thing I like about Qmee more than any of its competitors - Swagbucks, for example - is that you get paid directly, instead of having to cash up and then convert meaningless online currencies. I know exactly how much each survey I try is worth, and I can cash out at any time. I tried Swagbucks for a few weeks a long while ago, but I couldn't cash out what I'd earned because of the conversion rate and the PayPal connectivity issues, so Qmee is ... so much better.

Of course, taking random surveys isn't without its more humorous moments! For example, I'll never forget the time I had a 25-minute survey all about yoghurt...

Or my first introduction to the most ridiculous emotion wheel I've ever seen............

You never forget your first time seeing these. Ever.

Now that I've gotten a fair amount of spare cash from Qmee, I can stop obsessively refreshing for new surveys each day -- but either way, I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone with some idle time on their hands, who wants a few pounds to spend on silly stuff -- essentially pocket money, considering you can earn maybe £5 a week on a casual basis. It's great for students and for lazy people, like me.

Next up: who knows??? It's too hot to think! But I'll be back in a few days when I think of something.
Thank you so much for having faith in me. :colondollar:

I've been in a bit of a creative rut with the bucket list lately - mostly because it's TOO HOT to do anything, arghghh!! - but I'm going to get back on track as soon as I can! <3

No problem! You should have the same confidence in yourself :smile: :colondollar: I feel exactly the same, I can harldy do anything in the heat!!!

05/07/2018 // TASK 027 COMPLETE!

In my family, for as long as I can remember, we've had this big box of recipe cards.

I checked, and they were published for the first time in 1967 - which is probably why I don't remember them being bought. My guess would be that they're a family heirloom of sorts by this point, having been passed down from one of my parents' families until they ended up in a cupboard near the sink for ready access. Either way, I have a lot of childhood memories of digging through these old cards, looking at cake recipes and deciding what good-intentioned cake I was going to make that day.

I'm focusing on cake, by the way, because the other recipes in those cards ... leave a lot to be desired. :colonhash: The 1960s were a choice time for decent food, it seems.

With all that in mind, I realised that there weren't really any cookbooks or recipe cards in the house that would be suitable for me to take back to uni with me. This task was always about becoming more versatile in the kitchen at uni, but without a decent reference for recipes, I knew I was just going to end up back on the same basic pasta dishes I'd been making for the rest of the year... or worse, ready meals. (DUN DUUUUUURN.)

So:

For this task, I decided to make myself a recipe book. :h: I'm a chronic Googler when it comes to recipes, so I thought this would be much easier on me and my housemates come September. I'll leave it in our kitchen for anyone to access or add to if they want. Also, it helps avoid getting flour/mess/garbage on your phone screen, so. Win-win!

Here are some of the recipes I've written in the book so far!:

I've also got some prawn dishes, desserts, and a beef lo mein in there so far, so. Exciting!!!

Tomorrow I want to stay in the kitchen and do some baking with the old recipe cards I rewrote into my new book, so stay tuned for task 029.

See you guys soon! <3

06/07/2018 // TASK 029 COMPLETE!

Hello, everyone! It's a gloriously sunny afternoon, and I'm waiting at home ready to watch the football. I don't want to say those special three words that are on every pair of English lips right now, because I'm bloody scared of cursing us. :colondollar: I'm not a very sporty person, but I hope we do as well as we can -- even if we do go out here, I think we'll be proud of where we are.

Also, I made a football-themed cake! Sort of.

For this task, I actually used the recipe book I made in task 027 -- I wrote out a very nice chocolate sandwich recipe from the 1960s recipe cards, and it definitely didn't fail me this time. It's a great sign. You know...1960s, football, three lions, cake, good recipe, good.. I'll stop while I'm ahead.

(I only remembered to take pictures at bizarre intervals, so please excuse the strange slideshow that follows:smile:

My ingredients and equipment:

My mixture:

My baked cake halves:

My finished and iced (chocolate buttercream, ofc) cake!:

And here's the cake in its intended place: with me, sat in front of the TV yesterday, watching the Brazil v Belgium match!

I think this cake came out very nicely. It's a little crisp on the edges, sure, but that's nice sometimes! Today, the remaining slices will either be a commiseration cake... or a celebratory one. I'm not making any statements about which one it could be because I don't want to damn us!!!!!

See you guys soon! Really soon, actually - I have another task I want to type up ASAP.
That cake looks amazing (and now I'm craving cake - think it's time to make one myself:laugh::laugh:)
That cake looks amazing (and now I'm craving cake - think it's time to make one myself:laugh::laugh:)

DO IT!!! You get to do something fun, and you get cake at the end as a reward. There is no better way to spend your time.

08/07/2018 // TASK 002 COMPLETE!

So. :biggrin:

Considering I cheaped out of task 027 a little (being making a recipe book instead of actually making one of the new recipes) -- I thought the best thing for me to do would be to step up my game on the other tasks. The next one on my little list that I get up every time I think "stop staring at your laptop and actually do something" was task 002 - cover a song and post it online!

Of course, me being me, there was only one way to step up my game with this task -- so I set out to do more than just cover a song: I was going to WRITE a song, instead. :wink:

This isn't entirely uncharted territory for me -- really, I'd say I'm more rusty than anything. Back in 2013-2014 I used to write fan songs for video games and anime series I loved, but my Soundcloud has lain dormant for many years, now, with only an annual cover to keep it vaguely afloat. I haven't written a proper song since about 2015 -- I thought it was about solid time to change that. :smile:

For a little context to what I was inspired by: Atticus, the character I drew for tasks 021 and 007, is a character I made for a Dragon Age-based Dungeons and Dragons game that my partner is DMing. The Dragon Age setting is detailed and intriguing enough as it is, but the work that our DM has put into the Tevene society they've built and the additional worldbuilding that required is absolutely breathtaking. Since I'm the only one playing a character actually from Tevinter and living in Minrathous, where the game is set, I've gotten to learn a lot more about the setting and the context of the game than the other players have. Recently they were discussing the current and heavily-adored Black Divine - who is essentially the goth pope of Tevinter - and his legendary coronation, during which he cried a single tear into the crowd below him. Since then, hundreds of merchants have claimed they were selling the bottled, immortal tear of the Divine, which never dries up or spills.

Personally? I love religious imagery, and that is ridiculously metal -- so I set about immediately composing an in-universe hymn for the worship of the Black Divine.

At 3am.

Listen... I never claimed to be good at managing my time.

The lyrics were essentially a frankensteining of shoddy Google Translate and of lines from traditional Christian hymns (like Venite Adoremus, from the original 'O Come All Ye Faithful') -- so the Latin isn't an exact science and probably isn't even correct, because I know about as much Latin as I do astrophysics. But Tevinter is based on the Roman Empire, so it only seemed right to try and put it in Latin.

It's only a minute long, but for a hymn composed in a language that I don't even speak... I think that's quite long enough! I recorded it and the accompanying piano-playing in Audacity, then posted it on my Soundcloud.

The lyrics are as follows:

UNAM LACRIMAE (His one tear)
VENITE ADOREMUS (Let us worship him)
UNAM LACRIMAE (His one tear)
VENITE ADOREMUS (Let us worship him)
DONA NOBIS PACEM (Grant us peace)
DONA NOBIS GLORIA (Grant us glory)

You can find it by clicking on the image below! I hope you like it, and I'll see you guys soon! ///

(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest