Argument with School Watch

GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

I'm basically having an argument with my school, a department in particular, over fieldwork equipment. I somehow managed to lose a piece of equipment which I immediately went out of my way to replace, which seemed fair enough. However, after returning to school, the department refused to accept what I had bought as it was not the exactly the same as what I had lost. (Basically because it only recorded windspeed, instead of windspeed, temperature and humidity. :rolleyes: )

The following day, my teacher came in with a magazine of equipment, and pointed at an item, which he demanded I pay for, the cost being £124. He did this infront of the whole class which put me in a position of explaining my financial and home situation infront of everyone, which I felt was extremely unprofessional on his behalf. (I live with, and look after, my uncle and I use my EMA to survive, something that I wouldn't particularly want announced infront of an entire classroom for obvious reasons).

At this point I explained to him that I physically could not pay for that, and that I had attempted to replace the piece of equipment to the best of my ability. To which he said "Well then you're coming down the police station with me" (This was infront of the entire class) to which I replied "Okay, sure." He then continued to demand that I cough up the money, which I refused.

I find the demand to pay for this piece of equipment unreasonable and somewhat unjustified. The department failed to record the exact model and brand of what I was given, and are therefore unable to provide me with an accurate cost of the loss. I was neither informed that I would have to replace it if I lost it and therefore I did not have the opportunity to accept these conditions, meaning in giving the item to me, all risk lay upon my school. I had graciously and immediately attempted to replace the item to the best of my financial ability.

I assume now that my teacher is going to either withdraw me from my exam, withhold my exam results, or possibly persue legal action against me :rolleyes: While I understand it seems only fair that I replace the equipment (which I attempted to do), I feel as though it is unreasonable for my school to demand such a large amount of money from a financially unstable student.

What are the opinions of TSR? Am I completely in the wrong, or is my school?
tomoli
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Hi,

I'm basically having an argument with my school, a department in particular, over fieldwork equipment. I somehow managed to lose a piece of equipment which I immediately went out of my way to replace, which seemed fair enough. However, after returning to school, the department refused to accept what I had bought as it was not the exactly the same as what I had lost. (Basically because it only recorded windspeed, instead of windspeed, temperature and humidity. :rolleyes: )

The following day, my teacher came in with a magazine of equipment, and pointed at an item, which he demanded I pay for, the cost being £124. He did this infront of the whole class which put me in a position of explaining my financial and home situation infront of everyone, which I felt was extremely unprofessional on his behalf. (I live with, and look after, my uncle and I use my EMA to survive, something that I wouldn't particularly want announced infront of an entire classroom for obvious reasons).

At this point I explained to him that I physically could not pay for that, and that I had attempted to replace the piece of equipment to the best of my ability. To which he said "Well then you're coming down the police station with me" (This was infront of the entire class) to which I replied "Okay, sure." He then continued to demand that I cough up the money, which I refused.

I find the demand to pay for this piece of equipment unreasonable and somewhat unjustified. The department failed to record the exact model and brand of what I was given, and are therefore unable to provide me with an accurate cost of the loss. I was neither informed that I would have to replace it if I lost it and therefore I did not have the opportunity to accept these conditions, meaning in giving the item to me, all risk lay upon my school. I had graciously and immediately attempted to replace the item to the best of my financial ability.

I assume now that my teacher is going to either withdraw me from my exam, withhold my exam results, or possibly persue legal action against me :rolleyes: While I understand it seems only fair that I replace the equipment (which I attempted to do), I feel as though it is unreasonable for my school to demand such a large amount of money from a financially unstable student.

Unlikely. I doubt he would persue legal action over something so trivial and it would be unbelievably harsh to withdraw you from the exam (in which case you just take them somewhere else) and he can't withhold your exam results.

I suggest you go to the Head. Your teacher sounds like a complete idiot.
flump
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Hi,

Well generally I support people replacing equipment they have lost or damaged but he has dealt with it badly. I would ask for an appointment to see the Head, if it cant be resolved perhaps ask to speak to an EWO to see if they can help. Governors might also be able to help.

Hope you get it sorted out, not the sort of problem you need on top of exms and everything else you have on your plate. Good luck.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice so far! I was honestly expecting to be flamed for being such an idiot as to lose a piece of equipment. I will consider writing a formal letter to the Head and look into the possiblity of speaking to an EWO.
Jessaay!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should certainly complain about that. Now I could understand it if they just wanted you to replace it, but it should have been in your own time and the way they went about doing it is completely unacceptable and should be taken up with your head.
You did your best to replace it.
plopSDCSDC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aw i really feel for you, it really annoys me when teachers go mad over something small and petty which my history teacher very recently did, and will again for something else. But, yeah, speak to teh head and get your parents to complain and write a letter or something.
Ani*
Report 10 years ago
definately talk to your head...or another teacher who you trust about it, your other teacher sounds like a complete goon, and he's wrong to have called you up on it in front of your entire class.

i had to use one of those humidity, temperature, windspeed thingys during my biology fieldwork and £124 does seem a bit excessive!
Donald Duck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does you school have something else to measure humidity and temperature with? It might be a good idea to buy a cheap thermometer if your school is short on those, and something on humidity might be useful. Theoretically, you should replace what you lost/broke, but not necessarily with a new piece of equipment or the most expensive one, just something which does the same job. However if you are in serious money trouble, explain that to the teacher in private, and if he still demands you to be doing more, go to the head of school.
ma2k5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol, I would just plain out refuse if they act like that! Be strong, do not get scared of their cowardly threat attemps with police. Wow, what a bunch of dicks!
Interchange
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, your school is really harsh. If we break equipment we just get told to be more careful next time.
Rob 106
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd just ignore any requests to pay anything. If the thing was that expensive they could have at least warned you. It is probably your teacher's responsibility to make sure the dept doesn't lose any stuff and he is trying to pass his problem on to you.

I wouldn't worry about the police, they have more serious things to deal with, they'd probably laugh at your teacher!

I had a bus driver threaten to call the police if I didn't get off his bus (fare dispute) I said i'd welcome them (i was pretty confedent I was right). he backed down pretty soon after. it is just a scare tactic.

So anyway just don't pay there is nothing they can do about it. Oh and act really calm when you talk about it to the teacher... nothing will annoy him more!

Good luck
Levity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Stick it out, don't give in to them.
AlphaWulf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hang in there kitty!

Seriously though, I agree with the others that it's harsh to make you pay for it. On the other hand, I can see why they want you to do so, since it appears to be your fault it was lost. One important factor (in my eyes), did they warn you about losing it when they gave it to you?
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaWulf)
Hang in there kitty!

Seriously though, I agree with the others that it's harsh to make you pay for it. On the other hand, I can see why they want you to do so, since it appears to be your fault it was lost. One important factor (in my eyes), did they warn you about losing it when they gave it to you?
I totally agreed that it was my fault losing it, hence I immediately went out of my way to replace it with my own money.

And no, they didn't warn be about losing it when they gave it to me.
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go straight to the head. I bet it will be sorted in a few minutes tbh. But seriously, that teacher sounds like a complete ****. If a teacher said that to me, i would probably end up giving them a massive argument
jawads
Report 10 years ago
Schools get loads of money from governments anyway, their costs run into millions per year. I dont think £124 will do any harm. Id speak to your head of year, the teacher cant withdraw you from exams for not paying. Schools get paid per student so they'll have money to cover you. Take the matter to seniors if it gets out of hand and you dont have to go to the police if he wants you to, they'll come to you. If your getting EMA, then you could use your financial state to back your argument up, I don't think the teacher is gonna ruin his/her rep by demanding the money. Change classes if you can if your not happy with the teacher.
Tickety Boo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It sounds like your teacher is in the wrong. Everyone makes mistakes and you even tried to replace the piece of equipment! I agree with the above posts: go to the head teacher to resolve this matter.
Of the Standard of Taste
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thats harsh , id go to one of the governors and complain
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
If they withdraw you from the exam do your exam at another exam centre.
claire_x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think this teacher has been way out of order.

I do also think it's harsh to expect a student to cough up £124, especially when you have obviously made your best attempt to replace it (which I think is more than most people would do).

I would go to your head teacher, explain the situation, and hope they understand.

Hope you get it sorted, don't get too worried about it,

xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (847)
80.67%
Leave (203)
19.33%

Watched Threads