The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

International Student Fees Status

Hi! I'm an international student planning on studying at Edinburgh next year. I was just wondering if I manage to gain citizenship in the middle of my degree if it would be possible for my fees status to be re-evaluated? Thanks in advance!
Original post by Joey3311nuu
Hi! I'm an international student planning on studying at Edinburgh next year. I was just wondering if I manage to gain citizenship in the middle of my degree if it would be possible for my fees status to be re-evaluated? Thanks in advance!

The rules are complicated and you havent provided sufficient details.
generally speaking there is no change in fee status, but there are exceptions. Contact the fee status department direct.

Do you have indefinite leave to remain?
What nationality are you?
How long have you lived in the UK?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
The rules are complicated and you havent provided sufficient details.
generally speaking there is no change in fee status, but there are exceptions. Contact the fee status department direct.

Do you have indefinite leave to remain?
What nationality are you?
How long have you lived in the UK?

I'm planning on contacting the school soon. I have a student visa and I'm currently a Canadian citizen. I'm asking the question because on the UKCISA website (it's currently not working for me for some reason) states that to qualify for a home fee status the student must be " ordinarily resident in the UK or EU for three full consecutive years prior to the start of study". Would this mean to the start of the first year, or would it be re-evaluated for each year? Thanks for the reply!
I'm planning on contacting the school soon. I have a student visa and I'm currently a Canadian citizen. I'm asking the question because on the UKCISA website (it's currently not working for me for some reason) states that to qualify for a home fee status the student must be " ordinarily resident in the UK or EU for three full consecutive years prior to the start of study". Would this mean to the start of the first year, or would it be re-evaluated for each year? Thanks for the reply!

UKcisa site is down.

Best speak to the uni as they ultimately decide. Sometimes the rules arent applied consistently. I would need to read the rules and know the full details plus have access to the UKcisa site or look up the actual regulations.

The answer is generally no change, except under very limited circumstances.

You are better off delaying your studies.
Reply 4

With what you've said there it's very unlikely.

Since you'll be resident in Scotland for the specific purpose of education, that won't count towards the three year residency period.

Also, a citizenship change during your degree will not change your fee status as your fee status is 'locked in' when you start your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending