The Student Room Group

Summer's Productive Weather!

Hey there!, I'm Ellie!

A little bit about me :smile: - I'm currently in Year 10 and so I really want to make the best use of my time this summer. No more binge watching TV. This summer will actually be fun!

This Summer's To Do's:

Completed
In Progress
Not Started

Educational

Read at least 10 books (and hopefully more!);

Begin collecting more educational books to form a mini library :cool:

Learn something new with Khan Academy;

Learn one new words a day, and USE it!

Learn harder squared numbers;

Create a timetable for the holidays;

Tidy all of my revision away - it's a bit of a mess :tongue:

Become more inspired in each of my subjects;

Money

Start raising £5,000 for my education :wink:;

Begin designing a product to sell and raise funds;

Career Focused

Complete my HealthWatch survey;

Research a list of careers;

Complete my own science lessons, and write about my results;

Phone and email GP Practices, vets etc;

Enter competitions;

For Fun

Create a portfolio of drawings;

Begin learning taekwondo;

Begin designing a product to sell and raise funds;

Cook most of my meals;

Begin a community project;

Begin a Confidence Board;

And all the while REVISE!

Read more classics;

Health

Create a new diet and count my macros;

Run 5k each week;

Go running every morning;

Generally get stronger at the gym;

Walk my dog regularly;

Go to Bakewell for walks.

Stop biting my damn nails! :angry:

I will post regularly, but I will always upload Fridays. This may take a study-esque vibe to it as a major goal of mine is to catch up on all of my work. Hopefully, this will be journey worth remembering :biggrin:

(edited 5 years ago)

Update 1:

Goal: Start a community project

Great news guys, I'm now a prefect of my school :wink::smile:! I'm hoping I'll be able to start some fundraisers for the school library, as ours is not the best and I really want to inspire the lower years to begin to read. I think if we had better books available, it may help, like it did with me.

I talked to the other prefects but they don't really seem interested to do...well, anything really. I was planning on emailing my Head of Year about it to see how she feels on the idea. Hopefully, if she gives the go ahead, I can draft a plan and post it here on TSR.

Goal: Find work experience

So I emailed my Young HealthWatch coordinator for help regarding finding work experience at a hospital. You see, I phoned yesterday and they said they'd prefer me to come from an organisation. My school refuses to help me so I thought they'd be the next best thing. I received an email today from her and she says she will try her best. Fingers crossed! :crossedf:

Goal: Read at least 10 books

I began reading War Storm earlier this week and so far I'm absolutely loving it! It really is amazing - the author is so skilled. But still!! I want some Maven and Mare already :colondollar:

2018-05-25 (1).png

Goal: Create a revision time-table

This is my revision time-table for my mocks this half-term. I will update this post after school to show you what I'm specifically doing in these time slots.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey Ellie! Glad to see your back! I've been inactive for a few months so that sucks but im definitely following this in hopes of getting some inspiration for my summer. Good luck for your mocks i also have mine after half term!
If you're looking to learn something new I'd recommend taking some free courses online - the Open University has smaller courses on their website, and they also run a website called Future Learn which hosts free courses run by numerous Universities (it's free for access for a certain amount of time, but you can pay to get unlimited access and a certificate at the end of the courses)
Original post by FloralPrints
Hey Ellie! Glad to see your back! I've been inactive for a few months so that sucks but im definitely following this in hopes of getting some inspiration for my summer. Good luck for your mocks i also have mine after half term!

Thank-you! I hope you do really well in your mocks :smile::wink:!
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
If you're looking to learn something new I'd recommend taking some free courses online - the Open University has smaller courses on their website, and they also run a website called Future Learn which hosts free courses run by numerous Universities (it's free for access for a certain amount of time, but you can pay to get unlimited access and a certificate at the end of the courses)

Really?! This sounds really cool, I'll check it out!
Good luck with revision! That's a really clever timetable; I wish I'd thought of that at GCSE. I just kind of read CGP guides and cried. :colondollar:

Something that might help you out with focus: have you ever tried a Pomodoro timer? It's a work/break system that gives you 25 minutes of work followed by 5 minutes of break, and after four you get a 15 minute break. It's supposed to help maximise productivity and make sure you get enough rest.

Best of luck with summer!!! Make sure you have enough fun alongside your revision!

Update 2:

Goal: Start a community project

So I emailed my head of Year and got a speedy reply - she thinks it's a wonderful idea, I just now have to draft a plan and coax the other Prefects into the plan. I'm hoping to begin planning for this tomorrow, and I'll have some images to upload.

Goal: Gyming it up!

I love the gym so much - it's like a second home. I trained back today, as I only had an hour due to my busy schedule. I attempted some new moves, as I have a really weak back and I think it's time for me to have a back and shoulder day. Yesterday and this morning I went running as well. I feel that I'm getting faster and stronger. I usually run a mile and time it, although I haven't timed myself in a while - I probably should.

It's weird, but I like running my hand up and down my thigh a couple of times sometimes, because I'm obsessed with the new muscle I've got there. I think over the next week, I'll write down exactly what I've done in the gym?

Goal: Create a new diet :smile:

I've been practising cooking meals over the past few days - it has been the same meal over and over as I need to convince my mum I'm capable. I also want to plan out specifically - I'm hoping these holidays - what I'll eat each day and will upload here immediately.

This is just one chicken breast, one red onion, 100g of spinach and 1 pack of microwaveable rice. It's quick and easy - 30 minutes on average. It has 744 calories.

Goal: REVISE!

Yesterday's To Done's:

Dynamic Learning Pod - RS Christian Worship

I went through, Science Homeostasis, English Poetry and French Key Words queue-cards; (I'm obsessed with flashcards)

Read 50 more pages of War Storm (ITS AMAZING)

Cleaning up revision (it's still a mess haha)

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
Good luck with revision! That's a really clever timetable; I wish I'd thought of that at GCSE. I just kind of read CGP guides and cried. :colondollar:

Something that might help you out with focus: have you ever tried a Pomodoro timer? It's a work/break system that gives you 25 minutes of work followed by 5 minutes of break, and after four you get a 15 minute break. It's supposed to help maximise productivity and make sure you get enough rest.

Best of luck with summer!!! Make sure you have enough fun alongside your revision!

Thanks for the advice, I'll aim to try it and I'll do an upload of my opinions on t? :biggrin:
Hey guys, sorry for the late update, but I thought it best to complete my half-term holidays :wink:!

I just thought I'd also create another mini goal to keep in mind, not just in Summer, but throughout my...well entire life? I want to manage my stress better as I know sometimes I work myself into the ground and I do feel quite a lot of pressure sometimes to do well in all aspects of my life, but especially school.

I need to remember that I'm only in Year 10! It shouldn't matter, not really, how well I do in these mocks. I proved myself tp my teachers ample times throughout this year and the previous. I don't need to impress an examiner just yet.

I will continue to work hard but I will also keep myself free. Free to do as I please. Why should I be limited just yet? I'm ace now - imagine what I can do in a year's time - imagine what I could without the stress? I know my stress impacts me negatively - I've seen it happen. If I do a mock test I get grade 9s/8s, if I do a 'real' class test I get 7s. I clearly should not stress.

This is something I will have to work on. I have to have confidence in my own abilities. I'm utterly brilliant! The whole world will know it one day :colondollar:.

Woop! I have beaten so many records this week :h: - I can now bench press 26kg and curl 30kg!

I've also started designing my own ab workout at the gym - I never really thought of doing it before for some unknown reason - as if working your abs is not a gym thing - but my abs were killing for DAYS! Also note to self - do an ab day after arm day - them exercises use too much core!

Using an exercise ball, roll out into a plank, and then roll back up. This may sound easy - it LOOKED easy - but I vouch I nearly died whilst simultaneously nearly smashing my face into a window. If you have more grace than me, you will probably be fine.

In and Out movement - but to spice things up, add a plate. So far I've been using a 5kg plate, and this is my favourite (and yet most painful for abs) movement.

Hill climbers but using hanging grips.

Cable Chops - there's overhead, under or side to side.

Hanging Leg Raises

Using an exercise ball and a cable machine, use the rope grip to lift whilst doing a crunch over the ball. You have to keep your arms locked behind your head in order to avoid your arms doing most of the work. this is an ab movement, so you've got to feel the burn there!

Goal: Work Experience

So, it has been slow progress I guess.

HealthWatch has gotten back to me about helping me find some work experience, and they've found me some at a local GP, they just want me to pop into the practice on Tuesday coming for an induction and for them to ask me some questions. I hope I'm able to do it, as I'm getting BORED out of my mind!

I also went to speak to the Activities Manager at my local care home for volunteering opportunities. She said it would be a brilliant chance for the both of us, and so she gave me her contact details. The kind woman said she'd phone me over the next week and if she didn't get back to me I should phone her for an update. Even though I've got her permission, she has to go to her superiors to see if I'm legally allowed to do it as I can't get a DBS done yet.

I have also emailed a small business that gives free horse and carriage rides to the elderly and disabled, I asked if I'm able to help out. I got a reply recently saying I should come and see them this Friday for an introduction.

Slightly busy! :colondollar::redface:

Goal: Cooking my meals

I cooked 6 days this week - which I'd say is pretty darn good, although I have't kept check of my calorie intake yet. I think I might wait for Summer before I start though :yum: .

Goal: Read 10 books

OH MY GOD GUYS!!!!!

War Storm is tearing me up inside, I'm devouring it. It's...it's just bloody brilliant :biggrin: . The story-line is so unpredictable and interesting, and I've just absolutely missed a book with good characters. This book is seriously getting me out of my reading slump. Victoria Aveyard bless you!

Goal: Go to Bakewell

Bakewell was where I completed my DofE Silver expedition this year (I'm so writing about that guys by the way - eventful to say the least!) and I decided I was coming back without an 80 litre bag on my back. And I did! I went down all my favourite footpaths again, I've never seen anything as beautiful. If you live near Derbyshire, you should totally go.

It also had an amazing array of shops - there were loads ob book-shops! My favourite place in Monsal Head, There was a point in DofE where we were stressed, tired, last-place on the last day, and we had this moment before we reached the first checkpoint where we vowed we'd get to first and stay fist. then Monsal Head came into view - I wish I had pictures! - and I'm not a spiritual person, but if I was that would have been one of those precious moments. I miss it already! :tongue:

This update will be updated soon - sorry that it's so looong guys - I will probs now do 2 updates a week to shorten them a bit? Haha :biggrin::wink:
Original post by streetdude28
Hey guys, sorry for the late update, but I thought it best to complete my half-term holidays :wink:!

I just thought I'd also create another mini goal to keep in mind, not just in Summer, but throughout my...well entire life? I want to manage my stress better as I know sometimes I work myself into the ground and I do feel quite a lot of pressure sometimes to do well in all aspects of my life, but especially school.

I need to remember that I'm only in Year 10! It shouldn't matter, not really, how well I do in these mocks. I proved myself tp my teachers ample times throughout this year and the previous. I don't need to impress an examiner just yet.

I will continue to work hard but I will also keep myself free. Free to do as I please. Why should I be limited just yet? I'm ace now - imagine what I can do in a year's time - imagine what I could without the stress? I know my stress impacts me negatively - I've seen it happen. If I do a mock test I get grade 9s/8s, if I do a 'real' class test I get 7s. I clearly should not stress.

This is something I will have to work on. I have to have confidence in my own abilities. I'm utterly brilliant! The whole world will know it one day :colondollar:.

Woop! I have beaten so many records this week :h: - I can now bench press 26kg and curl 30kg!

I've also started designing my own ab workout at the gym - I never really thought of doing it before for some unknown reason - as if working your abs is not a gym thing - but my abs were killing for DAYS! Also note to self - do an ab day after arm day - them exercises use too much core!

Using an exercise ball, roll out into a plank, and then roll back up. This may sound easy - it LOOKED easy - but I vouch I nearly died whilst simultaneously nearly smashing my face into a window. If you have more grace than me, you will probably be fine.

In and Out movement - but to spice things up, add a plate. So far I've been using a 5kg plate, and this is my favourite (and yet most painful for abs) movement.

Hill climbers but using hanging grips.

Cable Chops - there's overhead, under or side to side.

Hanging Leg Raises

Using an exercise ball and a cable machine, use the rope grip to lift whilst doing a crunch over the ball. You have to keep your arms locked behind your head in order to avoid your arms doing most of the work. this is an ab movement, so you've got to feel the burn there!

Goal: Work Experience

So, it has been slow progress I guess.

HealthWatch has gotten back to me about helping me find some work experience, and they've found me some at a local GP, they just want me to pop into the practice on Tuesday coming for an induction and for them to ask me some questions. I hope I'm able to do it, as I'm getting BORED out of my mind!

I also went to speak to the Activities Manager at my local care home for volunteering opportunities. She said it would be a brilliant chance for the both of us, and so she gave me her contact details. The kind woman said she'd phone me over the next week and if she didn't get back to me I should phone her for an update. Even though I've got her permission, she has to go to her superiors to see if I'm legally allowed to do it as I can't get a DBS done yet.

I have also emailed a small business that gives free horse and carriage rides to the elderly and disabled, I asked if I'm able to help out. I got a reply recently saying I should come and see them this Friday for an introduction.

Slightly busy! :colondollar::redface:

Goal: Cooking my meals

I cooked 6 days this week - which I'd say is pretty darn good, although I have't kept check of my calorie intake yet. I think I might wait for Summer before I start though :yum: .

Goal: Read 10 books

OH MY GOD GUYS!!!!!

War Storm is tearing me up inside, I'm devouring it. It's...it's just bloody brilliant :biggrin: . The story-line is so unpredictable and interesting, and I've just absolutely missed a book with good characters. This book is seriously getting me out of my reading slump. Victoria Aveyard bless you!

Goal: Go to Bakewell

Bakewell was where I completed my DofE Silver expedition this year (I'm so writing about that guys by the way - eventful to say the least!) and I decided I was coming back without an 80 litre bag on my back. And I did! I went down all my favourite footpaths again, I've never seen anything as beautiful. If you live near Derbyshire, you should totally go.

It also had an amazing array of shops - there were loads ob book-shops! My favourite place in Monsal Head, There was a point in DofE where we were stressed, tired, last-place on the last day, and we had this moment before we reached the first checkpoint where we vowed we'd get to first and stay fist. then Monsal Head came into view - I wish I had pictures! - and I'm not a spiritual person, but if I was that would have been one of those precious moments. I miss it already! :tongue:

This update will be updated soon - sorry that it's so looong guys - I will probs now do 2 updates a week to shorten them a bit? Haha :biggrin::wink:

Looks like you're smashing your bucket list already! Loving the updates, keep them up!
Hey ellie :hello:
is great you are starting to save up for education already :yep:
@streetdude28 fab list! How are you thinking of raising the £5000? :smile:
How's your list going :rave:?
@streetdude28, loving the updates so far - how’s the reading going? :smile:
How's your portfolio going?

Quick Reply

Latest