Turn on thread page Beta

Much Ado About Nothing - Presentation of Hero watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I had a quick lookie around and I can't find a thread on MAAN that says about presentation of Hero. Im doing an essay on it (got to be four pages long) and I was wondering if anyone wants to club together for notes on it. Here are mine so far, any additions would be welcome (btw they aren't in any real order):

-Amongst female company
    --keen and flexible wit
    'Now Ursule, when Beatrice doth come/Our talk must only be of Benedick'
    -When masked Hero becomes witty, more confident and flirtatious
    -Many a time at the beginning it is her cousin Beatrice who replies for her
    -Her characters innocence is broadened and spoke of many a time to make the later accusations even more shocking and theatrical
    -Because she is such a small worded character, shown as shy and quite the pefect image of a woman for that time. SHe is defenceless against Claudio's accusations
    -Immediately before the wedding her innocence is emphasised
    'My heart is exceedingly heavy'
    --at the prospect of losing her virginity, so she fusses over her clothes and appearance to take her mind off it
    -SHe shows great forgiveness or possibily naiviety at the end when she takes back Claudio, she is easily accepting
    -Materialistic view of her;
    --daughter of Leonato, jewel, Claudio asks if she has any other siblings (heir to fortunes)
    -It could be that Hero's silence and quiet personality means that it is difficult to see her true personality which comes out when her appearance is hidden (masked)
    -She is a conventional romantic heroine, full of patience and forgiveness
    'And when I lived, I was your other wife/And when you loved, you were my other husband'
    -Hero is a catalyst, she causes other people to act.
    -At the very beginning Hero is related to appearnace, looks
    'didst thou note'

ReputationRep:
    Could you compare Hero to other characters?

I was thinking especially about her relationship with Claudio in comparison to that of Bendedick and Beatrice. H+C truely love each other from the offset, but external factors disallow them the opportunity to get together, most notably Don Jon's scheming which leads to the cancellation of the wedding. Conversely, Benedick and Beatrice also love each other, but they purposely continue to try and give the false impression they are in love.

She's also short lol.

ReputationRep:
    She is a pawn.....
    Objectified and undoubtedly feminine...

ReputationRep:
    She is also beautiful (1/1,171), young woman (1/1,278), who is dark-haired (1/1,157), small (1/1,157), and described as a "jewel" (1/1,165), "a modest young lady" (1/1,150), "the sweetest lady" (1/1,171) by Claudio. She is friendly and well-behaved (3/4,26) , and when she speaks she is mostly very factual and enlightening (1/1,33). But she can also be very cheeky (2,1,79-90).

She is timid too. When she is accused at the altar of being unfaithful to Claudio, she lacks the bravery to deny the accusations levelled against her. Instead, she turns red in the face (4/1, 41)

And if were honest, comapred to Beatrice, Hero plays a pretty unspectacular role during the play. Beatrice fascinates the audience with her quick-wittedness, vivaciousness etc, whilst Hero is pretty dull.

Though we may find their relationship pretty unconvincing, such as the fact Claudio and Hero never really talks before the wedding, but Shakespeare employs a common theme of charatcers falling in love at first sight, such as in R&J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMatthewJamesEyre)
    Could you compare Hero to other characters?

I was thinking especially about her relationship with Claudio in comparison to that of Bendedick and Beatrice. H+C truely love each other from the offset, but external factors disallow them the opportunity to get together, most notably Don Jon's scheming which leads to the cancellation of the wedding. Conversely, Benedick and Beatrice also love each other, but they purposely continue to try and give the false impression they are in love.

She's also short lol.
    Lol. 'he is in love... With Hero, Leonato's short daughter'

Yes, I was thinking about possibly comparing her relations with those of others, wasn't quite sure though. Thank you. Hero and Claudio's relationship is very much appearance based, started from Claudio asking Benedick if he took note of her. And also as soon as Claudio heard of any impediment he automatically thought the worst, they have no trust in their relationship. It is like a fast track relationship that has gone to fast. Also at the masked ball Hero is willing to follow what her father says and marry the Prince. She's very fickle but also very willing to do what her father says. Isn't there a quote from Beatrice somewhere that says something about Hero curtsying and saying 'yes father'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMatthewJamesEyre)
    She is also beautiful (1/1,171), young woman (1/1,278), who is dark-haired (1/1,157), small (1/1,157), and described as a "jewel" (1/1,165), "a modest young lady" (1/1,150), "the sweetest lady" (1/1,171) by Claudio. She is friendly and well-behaved (3/4,26) , and when she speaks she is mostly very factual and enlightening (1/1,33). But she can also be very cheeky (2,1,79-90).

She is timid too. When she is accused at the altar of being unfaithful to Claudio, she lacks the bravery to deny the accusations levelled against her. Instead, she turns red in the face (4/1, 41)

And if were honest, comapred to Beatrice, Hero plays a pretty unspectacular role during the play. Beatrice fascinates the audience with her quick-wittedness, vivaciousness etc, whilst Hero is pretty dull.

Though we may find their relationship pretty unconvincing, such as the fact Claudio and Hero never really talks before the wedding, but Shakespeare employs a common theme of charatcers falling in love at first sight, such as in R&J.
    Wow! Thank you for all of that. Doh! I had completely forgotten about her comparison to Beatrice. They are opposites really. Hero complies with the image of woman of that time; to be looked upon and to obey. Whereas Beatrice is more outspoken, has quite a male attitude in getting herself heard. Hero is also like Claudio in a way, because Claudio just does what others think is right, he looks for guidance from the Prince and Benedick. So in that way they are similar.

ReputationRep:
    Though she is represented as the woman of the times, as a more conventional person, the reader infinitely prefers Beatrice. I think that this is an interesting fact. She is always portrayed as a weak character and unfavourably compared against Beatrice. I haven't read this play for a year, so sorry if that completely sucked!

ReputationRep:
    I went to see an adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing at the theatre. The girl who played Hero was Welsh.

And Don John committed suicide at the end.
    And Leonato was portrayed as a crazed torturer.
    And they kept singing all the way through.
    And Hero said w****r.

Im pretty sure NONE of that happens in the play.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.
    That adaptation sounds hilarious!

It's amazing what different adaptations are li,e, how much a director may 'change' the characters and scenes.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.. I am currently writing this essay. So far just on Hero's personality. Which I've written half a page on. BUT my teacher wants us to write 4 pages at least. Which I'm not sure if talking about her personality, relationship with Claudio compared to B+B, and comparison to B, will fill. Eek!

ReputationRep:
    You helped me TearsOnDarkShadows so now I shall help you.
    Consider how Hero is passive when in the company of men, yet, whilst in the company of women she is outgoing and to an extent flirtatious. Additionally, Shakespeare uses the poetic linguistic device of Iambic Pentameter when she talks to Margaret and Ursula, this particular device was used by Shakespeare in order to illustrate a character's formal nature. Hero is able to use this device as she is talking with people lower in the hierarchy than what she is; "Good Margaret, run thee to the parlour..."
    I'd consider how Benedick says Beatrice “surpasses her cousin in beauty as the first of May to the last of December.” Benedick compares her beauty to something natural: spring. This is an explicit contrast to how Claudio perceives Hero to be a "jewel" which is shaped by man and designed for display and the two males clearly differentiate when they speak about love. Additionally, Claudio’s comparison is more clichéd whilst Benedick’s appears more sincere.
    To elaborate on the above, consider the style and language Shakesperare uses between the two women, Beatrice almost directs the play, giving instructions to her cousin: “Stop his mouth with a kiss” and more significantly to Claudio: “Speak, Count, ’tis your cue” which reinforces her assertive role. She is used here as a striking contrast to Hero who, as usual, in male company is silent whereas Beatrice is not only vocal but gives orders. Just as their language and characters contrast so do their fortunes in love for when one’s relationship is going well, as now, the other’s is nonexistent or going badly. This occurs until the last scene and in this way Shakespeare structures the play for maximum impact and satisfaction.
    These are the main points which immediately came to mind, I hope they help. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamsie_853)
    You helped me TearsOnDarkShadows so now I shall help you.
    Consider how Hero is passive when in the company of men, yet, whilst in the company of women she is outgoing and to an extent flirtatious. Additionally, Shakespeare uses the poetic linguistic device of Iambic Pentameter when she talks to Margaret and Ursula, this particular device was used by Shakespeare in order to illustrate a character's formal nature. Hero is able to use this device as she is talking with people lower in the hierarchy than what she is; "Good Margaret, run thee to the parlour..."
    I'd consider how Benedick says Beatrice “surpasses her cousin in beauty as the first of May to the last of December.” Benedick compares her beauty to something natural: spring. This is an explicit contrast to how Claudio perceives Hero to be a "jewel" which is shaped by man and designed for display and the two males clearly differentiate when they speak about love. Additionally, Claudio’s comparison is more clichéd whilst Benedick’s appears more sincere.
    To elaborate on the above, consider the style and language Shakesperare uses between the two women, Beatrice almost directs the play, giving instructions to her cousin: “Stop his mouth with a kiss” and more significantly to Claudio: “Speak, Count, ’tis your cue” which reinforces her assertive role. She is used here as a striking contrast to Hero who, as usual, in male company is silent whereas Beatrice is not only vocal but gives orders. Just as their language and characters contrast so do their fortunes in love for when one’s relationship is going well, as now, the other’s is nonexistent or going badly. This occurs until the last scene and in this way Shakespeare structures the play for maximum impact and satisfaction.
    These are the main points which immediately came to mind, I hope they help. x
    One thing to say:
    Thank you!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.