The Student Room Group

Estel's 2018 Summer Bucket List!

Scroll to see replies

Goal Update:
Goal 12: Read 10 books.

Completed books: 1/10
Yesterday I finished book one for this challenge which was Assassin's Creed Underworld. It's the novel 'companion' for AC Syndicate detailing most of the backstory for Henry Green, with the last third of the book being events of the game in the Point Of View of either Evie or Henry.

While Henry isn't exactly my favourite assassin out there, the detail about his time as The Ghost, and getting to see Ethan Frye as well as the younger twins is awesome - it just reminds me how the game was originally going to have some introduction at Ethan's funeral (whoops, spoiler alert, but not really) but it was cut so they could start where they did.

There's a few discrepancies with lines in the book being worded differently than in the game, but I suppose that's down to editing and scripting differences with both being written at the same time, just independently from one another.
Goal Update:
goal 3: Complete a 5K Run

Okay so I won't be running per se, but I've figured that with the weather so nice today I might go for a walk.

Might as well make it a 5K and earn that Virtual Race medal! You need proof to receive the medal, so expect a screenshot afterwards!
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Goal Update:
goal 3: Complete a 5K Run

Okay so I won't be running per se, but I've figured that with the weather so nice today I might go for a walk.

Might as well make it a 5K and earn that Virtual Race medal! You need proof to receive the medal, so expect a screenshot afterwards!

Goal Complete!
Complete a 5K Run

Like I said, I didn't run it, and in this heat was considering not doing it - but I actually did.

Proof?

zombies run 1.1.jpg
:woo: Well done!! :party:
Original post by nyxnko_
:woo: Well done!! :party:

Thank you! I was definitely not expecting that time - so any time below an hour is a win for me :biggrin:
And! I just got the confirmation email for my virtual medal - it'll be with me sometime before Friday!
Thank you! I was definitely not expecting that time - so any time below an hour is a win for me :biggrin:
And! I just got the confirmation email for my virtual medal - it'll be with me sometime before Friday!

:yay: Congrats on getting a medal!
:woo: well done for the 5k :gah: i would not have the patience to walk for an hour :lol:
Goal Complete!
Goal 13: Attend the Mischief Movie Night

It's finally time to check something else off my list!

As a surprise birthday present to my dad I booked tickets for the 4 of us (front row!!!) to watch the show - it's the original cast of The Play That Goes Wrong taking suggestions from us and acting out a movie. A different one each time.

Ours was a survival movie, set on Mars, involving a stern puppy, a volcano, and the Welsh.

They even improvised the songs! That's some real talent to be able to do that! And they were full songs as well, and they worked!

I do feel sorry for one of the cast, as one of his fellows was acting as a young child and he the puppy - and you all know how very very young kids pick up animals... Yeah. That looked painful.

I recommend this 100% for anyone who hasn't had the chance to see any of the performances out there.
Original post by laurawatt
:woo: well done for the 5k :gah: i would not have the patience to walk for an hour :lol:

Thank you!
I'd say the key is having really good music - a lot of my playlist this time was Wonder Woman and Rangnarok music, as well as Eurovision.
Goal Complete!
Goal 1: Apply for Penguin Random House paid work experience.

While having a read around archaeology, and the intro reading I was emailed earlier for the summer school, I received a notification to say the next lot of PRH applications are now open.

And for once, I managed to finish the application and submit it on time (I usually can't always pick 3 novels for the final question, but I have so much more to say now!)

I've been trying to get the work experience for nearly 18 months now, and even though I've applied nearly 6 times - with each section open for 2 months of dates available - I've not been picked. The choice of who gets chosen is 100% random?! So I don't have high hopes for this application, like the others, but I will still continue to look for experience somewhere.

@Jinkx Monsoon Are you going to try applying again?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nyxnko_
:yay: Congrats on getting a medal!

Original post by laurawatt

The medal arrived!

The medal arrived!

:yeah: yay!
While having a read around archaeology, and the intro reading I was emailed earlier for the summer school, I received a notification to say the next lot of PRH applications are now open.

And for once, I managed to finish the application and submit it on time (I usually can't always pick 3 novels for the final question, but I have so much more to say now!)

I've been trying to get the work experience for nearly 18 months now, and even though I've applied nearly 6 times - with each section open for 2 months of dates available - I've not been picked. The choice of who gets chosen is 100% random?! So I don't have high hopes for this application, like the others, but I will still continue to look for experience somewhere.

@Jinkx Monsoon Are you going to try applying again?

I've reapplied, but I'm only free for one of the timeslots (basically, the week before Freshers and Freshers, since I'm in Greece until the 10th and Freshers starts on the 23rd) -- so I know I'm very unlikely to get anything. :colonhash: They didn't email me last time, and they put the wrong name on the email the time before that, so... PRH isn't the best with respecting the people who apply, even if it is randomised.

I'm rooting for you, Estel!!!! <3
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
I've reapplied, but I'm only free for one of the timeslots (basically, the week before Freshers and Freshers, since I'm in Greece until the 10th and Freshers starts on the 23rd) -- so I know I'm very unlikely to get anything. :colonhash: They didn't email me last time, and they put the wrong name on the email the time before that, so... PRH isn't the best with respecting the people who apply, even if it is randomised.

I'm rooting for you, Estel!!!! <3

thank you!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

All I seem to be doing at the moment is applying to events and volunteering and work experience - even my local castle has a job opening that I've gone for - so I'm hoping nothing overlaps/conflicts.

(Also I just found out - my hotel for next week's summer school? It's literally around the corner from the PRH office!)
Happy Pride!

Hello from London!

Yes the Ancient Greek summer school is finally upon us - and in the worst weather possible for me. 100% hate the heat, and it’s not going to let up anytime soon. 🙃🙃

Nonetheless today I, along with the parents travelled down to London so I could get settled into my accommodation before I start the course tomorrow morning. After finding it and having everything done we decided to waste some time in a museum, as their train wasn’t booked to leave until eight PM.

So we spent nearly three hours in the British Museum. And it was lovely! We explored the Egyptian and Greek and Roman galleries as well as stumbling upon the Viking and Anglo Saxon stuff. (100% took photos of stuff just because they reminded me of LOTR costuming)
The only down side was that the museum has no clear air circulation so we ROASTED inside. And that’s not good. It’s half ten in the evening right now and the dehydration headache is still only just going away?

As we were all tired and crabby and hungry we went back to the hotel via the shops beneath the main building - including Gregs and Pret 🙌

At seven they left, and I think it only really just hit me that I have full control of what I’m doing until Friday? Because I just broke into tears. As you do.

The parents fared no better; their train was an hour delayed leaving the station - and its a good thing I didn’t book the train they wanted me to book as it was cancelled! - and have yet to even reach their destination. Which they should’ve done almost 90 minutes ago.
Took a lovely photo of the British Museum on the way in and only realised afterward that they still have the pride flag up from the event last weekend!
73B2C9FC-19A0-4264-90EF-DF48CA199889.jpeg

But do you know what this also means? I’ve completed another challenge on the bucket list!! 👑🏺⚔️
Visit a museum!
(edited 5 years ago)
Summer School day one complete!

After last nights meltdown (I can’t think of any other word to describe it) I felt a little weepy heading into registration this morning. But the person I sat next to was really lovely and actually made me feel a lot more intelligent than I was feeling right then.

He’s soon to be a third year Oxbridge student and we began debating ancient Roman emperors while he also recommended me some books and texts to read in my own time. 100% have already planned a trip to Waterstones to find some.

This overran as there were so many more people than I was anticipating, and the lecturers running the summer school ran out of information booklets 😅. Then they had to separate everyone into their respective teaching groups and get them there. My group, of which there are ten of us, was first to go. And we’re on the farthest bit of the campus away from where we were originally. So yeah. Walking. 🔥

The first half hour was some ice breakers. Turns out I’m the youngest one in my class as the rest are either third year undergrads or masters students most of who attend KCL. And I was keeping up with them! Hooray for me!

We had a brief view of an Ancient Greek text but not much. I had a flip through to the later sections, and there is the section of the Acharnians in there! I studied it for my AS and apparently the only one who did seeing as I’m the only one who knew who Dikiaiopolis was when our tutor used his name in an exercise.
(edited 5 years ago)
Bonus!

At lunch there were /loads/ of planes flying overhead so I got a few photos in. I missed the spitfire because my phone opened to maps rather than the camera 🙃
17C90023-12BD-4FB5-8743-B5CF53EC977C.jpeg
Update on the Summer School:

I somehow got ill overnight, and have taken the decision to go home for the rest of the week. I discussed this with the lecturer running the summer school, and she was completely sympathetic - and said if I wanted to continue from Monday I was more than welcome to.

And I have the basics of the Ancient Greek alphabet sorted, and have my own textbooks and resources that I can use to get back on track over the next few days :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest