Oxbridge preparation Watch

Itssnowing
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
our school is giving us the opportunity to do an oxbridge praparation day run by some external company (i think its called oxbridge preparations??) but it'll cost £100. Should i do it? I am definitley going to apply to oxbridge, so can anyone who's done one of these days tell me if it's woth it?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, it's probably just a scam. Reading around your subject area and trying to apply your subject knowledge to unfamiliar problems of interest is free, as is just revising and consolidating your core knowledge of your subject area to date, if applicable.
oseangarciaax
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do not do it.
They can't teach you how to think the way the interviewers and colleges want you to.
Spend £100 doing something else, like treating yourself to a good book.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Itssnowing)
our school is giving us the opportunity to do an oxbridge praparation day run by some external company (i think its called oxbridge preparations??) but it'll cost £100. Should i do it? I am definitley going to apply to oxbridge, so can anyone who's done one of these days tell me if it's woth it?
It's not worth paying for it - no.

For example, there's much more Oxbridge support available freely on TSR And that includes active participation from current Oxbridge college admissions staff.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Itssnowing)
Things I would consider:

- please don't assume that Oxbridge must be the the best fit for you.
A visit on a (free) Open Day will obviously give you a taste of the reality.

- most people who get into Oxbridge haven't gone to one of these preparation days, which suggests that any advantage you might get is likely to be marginal

- great GCSE, A Level and admissions test results are much more important than "tips" from external agencies

- all the same, any support is better than none. So how much other support will you get for your Oxbridge application?

- for example, there is a huge amount of free advice available online nowadays, including youtube videos of model interviews. Oxford has even uploaded sample interview questions, with tips about how to answer them. Would a "preparation day" help you to access this, or are you organised/supported enough to do so without?

- personalised, face-to-face advice might well be helpful. For example, discussing the specifics of how you've written your PS, and getting feedback on how you are approaching admissions papers and interview questions. A "preparation day" is unlikely to provide detailed and individualised advice, but might be useful for increasing your confidence.
Itssnowing
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No, it's probably just a scam. Reading around your subject area and trying to apply your subject knowledge to unfamiliar problems of interest is free, as is just revising and consolidating your core knowledge of your subject area to date, if applicable.
Thank you for your reply, it did sound like a bit too much money for what it is
Itssnowing
Rep:
?
(Original post by OxFossil)
Things I would consider:

- please don't assume that Oxbridge must be the the best fit for you.
A visit on a (free) Open Day will obviously give you a taste of the reality.

- most people who get into Oxbridge haven't gone to one of these preparation days, which suggests that any advantage you might get is likely to be marginal

- great GCSE, A Level and admissions test results are much more important than "tips" from external agencies

- all the same, any support is better than none. So how much other support will you get for your Oxbridge application?

- for example, there is a huge amount of free advice available online nowadays, including youtube videos of model interviews. Oxford has even uploaded sample interview questions, with tips about how to answer them. Would a "preparation day" help you to access this, or are you organised/supported enough to do so without?

- personalised, face-to-face advice might well be helpful. For example, discussing the specifics of how you've written your PS, and getting feedback on how you are approaching admissions papers and interview questions. A "preparation day" is unlikely to provide detailed and individualised advice, but might be useful for increasing your confidence.
Thanks for replying & your advice, I think I'll do a little more research
Itssnowing
Rep:
?
(Original post by oseangarciaax)
Do not do it.
They can't teach you how to think the way the interviewers and colleges want you to.
Spend £100 doing something else, like treating yourself to a good book.
Haha yep will do thanks x
Itssnowing
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
It's not worth paying for it - no.

For example, there's much more Oxbridge support available freely on TSR And that includes active participation from current Oxbridge college admissions staff.
Ill check out the stuff on tsr thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads