Financial Modeling -Summer Watch

Viola
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am from UCL, and was looking to take financial modeling classes in the summer of sorts, outside the syllabus and course time. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find such classes, or tutors etc. or should I give up and just try to figure out from Benninga's book?
nads29
Report 10 years ago
I know of a lecturer at the University of Westminster, where I did my BSc (Hons) Economics. He's name is Mike Pokorny, he taught me two modules where we had to do a lot of financial modelling (in analysis of economics and business data, and in my final year I did a module called quantitative finance, where i carried out an extensive study on the capital asset pricing model). May be you could try get in touch with the University and in particular, the lecturer i'm talking about. I would definately recommend him coz he's really good, and I learned a lot of him! The beninga book is also quite good, I used it as well. Neways, good luck with your passion for financial modelling.
Viola
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! Do you think he does external summer courses if you are not in the university?
nads29
Report 10 years ago
I am not sure coz I graduated last year and haven't been in touch with him lately. But you could call up the Uni and ask for Mike Pokorny, and once your through to him, ask him what you want to ask.. Good luck!!
defiantshrimp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Viola)
I am from UCL, and was looking to take financial modeling classes in the summer of sorts, outside the syllabus and course time. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find such classes, or tutors etc. or should I give up and just try to figure out from Benninga's book?
Why on earth would you want financial modeling classes? Do something fun with your summer! It's not going to make a blind bit of a difference when you apply for internships or graduate positions with banks. They will teach you all that.
nads29
Report 10 years ago
It is useful, coz then you can brag about it on your C.V as a skill, plus it gives you a potential selling point at interviews, its likely you may be asked about your skills, and financial modelling is something most banks look for in students, students with the ability of building financial models!!..
Viola
Rep:
?
Haha As I hope to be doing something in relation to banking I thought modeling would be helpful for myself. Besides, a good chance to brush up and understand those models!
nads29
Report 10 years ago
definately violA!!
Viola
Rep:
?
:d!!
RObTRIP
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
did you apply for internships?
btw you realise you will prob have forgotten the stuff you learn by the interviews 6 months later! you're better off getting any form of work experience or internship if you can, even unpaid or shadowing will help you get those interviews!

you should also check out the courses at the LSE summer school, they are extremely good however pretty expensive!
jamie19
Report 10 years ago
I agree that it's a waste of time going on a course, you'll be taught everything you need in due course. But if it's helpful, I've just recieved this email from eFinancialNews:

Financial News Training is pleased to present the following training courses over the next few months:

Real Estate Modelling
21-22 April 2008, London
http://efinancialnews.gtml2.com/EFin...S342&CC=&w=925
Delegates will learn how to construct, specify and design a complex excel based real estate financial model in stages.

Leveraged Finance
23-24 April 2008, London
http://efinancialnews.gtml2.com/EFin...S342&CC=&w=926
This two-day course will provide delegates with the skills to identify opportunities and
understand the structures and risks in leveraged finance transactions.

Excel Modelling in Financial Markets
29-30 April 2008, London
http://efinancialnews.gtml2.com/EFin...S342&CC=&w=927
A two-day course providing delegates with the skills and techniques to build financial models in excel.

Project Finance Modelling
2-3 June 2008, London
http://efinancialnews.gtml2.com/EFin...S342&CC=&w=928
By attending this practical two-day course delegates will understand and be able to apply
the principles of good modelling practice and will be competent in preparing a simple
cash flow model.

Carbon Emissions Trading
17-18 June 2008, London
http://efinancialnews.gtml2.com/EFin...S342&CC=&w=929
This two-day course is designed to give delegates a theoretical background to trade carbon emission instruments and the ability to benefit from the opportunities they hold.

Private Equity Strategy and LBO Modelling
24-25 June 2008, London
http://efinancialnews.gtml2.com/EFin...S342&CC=&w=930
A two-day course to equip delegates with the skills to develop the optimal financing structure for private equity transactions.

For more information on any of these training courses please contact
Tracey Huggett on tel: +44 (0)20 77490230 or email: [email protected]
I have no idea of cost etc, probably a total rip off, and may not be aimed at beginneers but thought i'd pass it on anyway.
PortfolioManager
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
better off with online courses...dealmaven.com
Viola
Rep:
?
I went to the site Jamie...1190 pounds!!!! But thankyou anyways, portfolio manager too! so helpful!
jamie19
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Viola)
I went to the site Jamie...1190 pounds!!!! But thankyou anyways, portfolio manager too! so helpful!
Sounds like a rip off aimed at professionals with the firm paying
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.49%
No (474)
60.85%
Not really bothered about them (161)
20.67%

Watched Threads