The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Repeating 2nd year at University?

I was wondering if I would be able to to repeat my second year despite having past it? I got grades I didn't want and I did try really really hard for them grades, ie 2:2's, but I do want an overall 2:1 and It will make it very difficult for me to do that in my third year. I was wondering If I would be able to do this or would they be like you have to stay with what you are doing?

Any advice appreciated thank you :smile:
Hi @TracyRed,

I believe that if you re-take a year then you will only be able to achieve 40% as it will be caped.
You could speaking to your lectures about it, and discuss your options.

Callum :smile:
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
I didn't do well in my second year (have to do retakes for modules) I tried to also look into my university for advice on repeating the year. My university either doesn't allow students to retake or you have to have EC so that you can explain how the event or illness effected your learning. If there was a way I would honestly take it in a heartbeat. I am certain that I won't graduate with a 2.1 but there isn't much I can do now. Just hope there are companies that accept 2.2.
Original post by FlyseaSo
I didn't do well in my second year (have to do retakes for modules) I tried to also look into my university for advice on repeating the year. My university either doesn't allow students to retake or you have to have EC so that you can explain how the event or illness effected your learning. If there was a way I would honestly take it in a heartbeat. I am certain that I won't graduate with a 2.1 but there isn't much I can do now. Just hope there are companies that accept 2.2.

I've got a really good job on a graduate scheme starting from September that only wants a 2:2. I really wanted (and was potentially capable of) a 2:1 but circumstances make that extremely unlikely so I'm just crossing my fingers that I manage my 2:2. Honestly though, you can definitely find good companies that accept a 2:2.

Did you struggle in first year also? Or just werent motivated, im nervous about second year but im optimistic also, i feel like because it counts i will be more dedicated by default.
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Did you struggle in first year also? Or just werent motivated, im nervous about second year but im optimistic also, i feel like because it counts i will be more dedicated by default.

First year i struggled since everything was completely new and I found it hard. A lot of people I know dropped out that year... But I didn't have any retakes so it was okay in the end. In second year I was doing well in the first semester and then when it came to exams and the second semester I started to struggle big time. I already have my second year grades I just hope in third year i can at least get 2.2 since someone mentioned above that they managed to get a job with it.
Reply 6
Original post by howitoughttobe
I've got a really good job on a graduate scheme starting from September that only wants a 2:2. I really wanted (and was potentially capable of) a 2:1 but circumstances make that extremely unlikely so I'm just crossing my fingers that I manage my 2:2. Honestly though, you can definitely find good companies that accept a 2:2.

Thank you for reassuring me, in university and on student room they make it seem like 2.2 is the end of the world... So knowing I can possible still get a job will motivate me to do my best in third year(since I was thinking my world has ended and didn't have much hopes after graduation)
First year i struggled since everything was completely new and I found it hard. A lot of people I know dropped out that year... But I didn't have any retakes so it was okay in the end. In second year I was doing well in the first semester and then when it came to exams and the second semester I started to struggle big time. I already have my second year grades I just hope in third year i can at least get 2.2 since someone mentioned above that they managed to get a job with it.

Wow sounds tough, which degree are you doing?
Reply 8
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Wow sounds tough, which degree are you doing?

Wasn't so much as tough just a lot of people found it boring and if you don't like a subject you end up having no motivation. I study Computer science
Thank you for reassuring me, in university and on student room they make it seem like 2.2 is the end of the world... So knowing I can possible still get a job will motivate me to do my best in third year(since I was thinking my world has ended and didn't have much hopes after graduation)

My son got a 2.2 and is now a teacher. He can is is travelling the world with his 2.2 and loving his job
Original post by TracyRed
I was wondering if I would be able to to repeat my second year despite having past it? I got grades I didn't want and I did try really really hard for them grades, ie 2:2's, but I do want an overall 2:1 and It will make it very difficult for me to do that in my third year. I was wondering If I would be able to do this or would they be like you have to stay with what you are doing?

Any advice appreciated thank you :smile:

My understanding is that in the event you pass you will not be allowed to repeat a year in an effort to improve your grades. The comment above correctly cites capped grading for second attempt with no mitigating circumstances being accepted, however these are only applied where students have failed or have been absent from assessment (automatic fail).

I suggest you focus your attention on identifying factors which might explain your performance, and address these as part of a learning strategy. Please bear in mind that most universities only take into account years three and four when using your best marks to classify honours.

I felt exactly the same way but when I started actually applying for jobs I was surprised how many companies only wanted a 2:2, even big, well-known companies.

Quick Reply

Latest