Feminism Watch

xximstrongerthanthatxx
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I consider myself as a feminist..i get angered over debates over women vicars, womens rights and pay for women aswell.

I have a friend, from the mormon relgion, she's 19, intelligent and had a lot of potential to go far. She dropped out of her education in her A2 year, due to pressure from her church to seek marriage, she was happy with the decision, and felt there was too much stress with school. So, she happily dropped out, now, at 19, she is married and a housewife.

Just reading her profile makes me feel sick, for example, her interests are: being a housewife, cooking, cleaning and 'loving' her husband. I kid you not, in posts to me, she says all she needs now is 'a few babies'.

It angers me and hurts me aswell to see a girl with such potential in her life to go to university, have a sustaining career being shot down and, in a sense, brainwashed to seek another route. She is happy, yes, but i have to question her motive..the reasoning behind such a lifestyle so young.

So, this leads me to question, how far can women today have the best of both worlds, eg: Motherhood AND a career

Also, how far can we take womens rights, is there always going to be a struggle?
Ethelred the Unready
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think her happiness is more important than your scorn over her "anti-feminist" lifestyle, tbh.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Totally agree with you. It's not surprising tbh. Religions as a whole have been holding women back for thousands of years. If there ever was a superior sex, I'd say it would have to be women.
xximstrongerthanthatxx
I'm not saying it's anti-feminist, an anti-feminist standpoint would be one in which she didn't have a choice..i was merely questioning on the view that surely women cannot have both worlds, eg: a housewife or career lifestyle..whether it works or not.
ConservativeLibertarian
Report 10 years ago
It's weird thinking of men sitting at home and being house husbands, doing the cooking and cleaning etc, and thinking of women going to work. If men were seen to be taking those roles, I think society would see them a lot different. I can't imagine it vividly because it's so far from how things are. I know what you mean about your friend, nowadays women have more rights and they were fought for by women. However many women still live as housewives and so it's not seen as strange.
xximstrongerthanthatxx
Feminism is surely about EQUALITY in all the sexes, yet there are many religions out there that put women to the back..infact, i would like someone to point out a religion to me, that actually was not, at one time in its reformation, put womens rights at the back of the agenda..

Sharia law today still exists as a male involved law..the man has the more rights
Rabbit Season
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xximstrongerthanthatxx)
I consider myself as a feminist..i get angered over debates over women vicars, womens rights and pay for women aswell.

I have a friend, from the mormon relgion, she's 19, intelligent and had a lot of potential to go far. She dropped out of her education in her A2 year, due to pressure from her church to seek marriage, she was happy with the decision, and felt there was too much stress with school. So, she happily dropped out, now, at 19, she is married and a housewife.

Just reading her profile makes me feel sick, for example, her interests are: being a housewife, cooking, cleaning and 'loving' her husband. I kid you not, in posts to me, she says all she needs now is 'a few babies'.

It angers me and hurts me aswell to see a girl with such potential in her life to go to university, have a sustaining career being shot down and, in a sense, brainwashed to seek another route. She is happy, yes, but i have to question her motive..the reasoning behind such a lifestyle so young.

So, this leads me to question, how far can women today have the best of both worlds, eg: Motherhood AND a career

Also, how far can we take womens rights, is there always going to be a struggle?
She has the right not to be a mormon, unfortunately the mormons are crazy and have brainwashed her.
tired yet?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

maybe she didn't want to go to university, maybe she's happy as a housewife.
Rabbit Season
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pauloidd)
maybe she didn't want to go to university, maybe she's happy as a housewife.
Would she have been a housewife though if she wasn't born into mormonism?
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well don't be angry on her behalf. At the end of the day, she chose those things - she may have had some strong influences arguing that route but I highly doubt she was "brainwashed". Some people genuinely do enjoy be homemakers! It's not anti-feminist to make that decision!

And yes, women can do careers and motherhood, but the fact is there are only 24 hours in a day and so they have to divide them up somehow.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Feminism is surely about EQUALITY in all the sexes, yet there are many religions out there that put women to the back..infact, i would like someone to point out a religion to me, that actually was not, at one time in its reformation, put womens rights at the back of the agenda..

Sharia law today still exists as a male involved law..the man has the more rights
Likewise so do catholicism and jehovah's witnesses, which are far more practised than shariah
stuartrowland
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Women have just as much rights as men, I really can't be doing with arguing though!
It seems to me like she is happy... leave it.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
infact, i would like someone to point out a religion to me, that actually was not, at one time in its reformation, put womens rights at the back of the agenda..
Paganism.
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Of course, she must be brainwashed. She can't possibly actually truly be happy, can she? You aren't much of a feminist if you can't accept that this woman is happy the way she is. Since when is it your right to interfere with her choices?
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, I'm not a fan of feminism.
My mum is as man-haterish as it comes and its really affected my life.

I think its important to find a nice balance between family and happiness, and the rights of women.

Although you friend may not have reached her full potential, at least she is happy and settled down and will probably have a decent quality of life. As long as she doesnt resent it, it doesnt really matter.
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with whoever said that her happiness is the most important thing and if thats the lifestyle she wants to persue then I think thats fine, and no one really has the right to question it, unless shes hurting someone.
In answer to your question though, I dont really think you can have both fully to be honest. I dont think you can have a fantastic career, be at the very top of your game and be an amazing parent whos always there for their kids at the same time. Modern life is too demanding, work takes up too much time, and kids take up even more. I think generally most people end up having to make a compromise. Its either go back to work full time and stick the kids in daycare/with a child minder, or stay at home, be a full time parent and effectively give up the career. I know of course that there are always exceptions, and its not as black and white as one or the other, but on the whole, I think something has to give.
Poica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Eugh. I can't stand feminists whose belief is that all women should be ambitious and want a career, and to whom having children and looking after a husband is pathetic. Understand this. Not all women want to work. Many are happy being housewives and raising children. Just because a woman does not want to go down the route you think she should doesn't mean she's been "brainwashed". I personally know a highly intelligent (atheist) woman with a masters degree who currently works as a business analyst whose aim in life is to get married, have kids and be a housewife.

If she is happy, who are you to self-righteously go in and tell her that she shouldn't be - that she should be dissatisfied with what she has and should desire a career and a degree?
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
blargh feminism is outdated. green is vouge this month. just another empty liberal cause that gives people the illusion their doing something to help.....

(not that im disillusioned or anything )
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

your talking modern religions older pagan religions of several civilisations put the woman as the childbearer and the man as the hunter gatherer/warrior. And placed the woman as the more important one. THe spirt of our planet gaia/mother earth is represented as a woman. It is mostly the fault of modern abrahamic religions that have placed women on a backseat as being unequal to men.

AS for your friend its her choice
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, men can't have a career and a family life anymore than women can. It's not a case of gender, it's a case of there simply not being enough time in the day, or enough energy in a person, to be able to have 100% of both, whether you're a man or a woman.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed