English Editorial Exam being cut Watch

viirkokka
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I found out today that next year is the last year of students doing Editorial exams.

I found this really annoying. I got an A in my recent exam with 78/90 and I was really proud of that. It is an exam that requires writing and ordering skills as well as some theory, unlike the others that mostly just require theory.

Personally, I think that an English course SHOULD have the editorial exam as what good is someone who knows a lot of theory (Which they probably wouldn't use as a writer anyway) compared to someone who actually knows how to write?

What does everyone else think of this?
ninaabbey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by viirkokka)
I found out today that next year is the last year of students doing Editorial exams.

I found this really annoying. I got an A in my recent exam with 78/90 and I was really proud of that. It is an exam that requires writing and ordering skills as well as some theory, unlike the others that mostly just require theory.

Personally, I think that an English course SHOULD have the editorial exam as what good is someone who knows a lot of theory (Which they probably wouldn't use as a writer anyway) compared to someone who actually knows how to write?

What does everyone else think of this?
yeah, we were told that our year has it easy because next year we won't have to do that. shame though, because it sounds interesting.
viirkokka
Rep:
?
(Original post by ninaabbey)
yeah, we were told that our year has it easy because next year we won't have to do that. shame though, because it sounds interesting.
You're right, it was damn interesting. It was the most fun exam I've ever done! You get given two large documents to look through and make notes on and you have a choice of publications to make in the exam, and basically you just go wild, making it however you want.

This year for mine, the documents were both pretty dull (Haj and 1812 Overture) but you learn them so thoroughly that you can write a great piece. It's also a relatively realistic setting because say for instance you are a journalist; you're not going to be able to always cherry pick the stories that interest you and write about them.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it should be cut to be honest.
I don't think the Editorial Writing paper is a good reflection of ability.
Someone in my class got 3 grades above their predicted grade, whilst others got up to four grades under.

Lots of A grade students get E's and things like that, merely because they don't quote the pack enough or the examiner personally doesn't like the peice.
The whole marking system is based literally on speculation and although you need to have good writing ability to be sucessful, there are too many other factors which come into play and it is diffcult to understand exactly what skills are being acessed.

I don't resent the paper - I got 90/90 Jan entry but I think the whole thing is based too much on luck and the examiners preferences.
PippaLove
Report 10 years ago
I loved this exam. It's tricky, but If you're a naturally good writer you generally do well.
Plus what could be easier than getting pre-release material, being able to study it for a whole week, draw all over it and take it into an exam?
It was fun

And I got 87/90, A, so I'm happy.

It's all about making the effort!
viirkokka
Rep:
?
(Original post by mollymustard)
Someone in my class got 3 grades above their predicted grade, whilst others got up to four grades under.

Lots of A grade students get E's and things like that, merely because they don't quote the pack enough or the examiner personally doesn't like the peice.
The whole marking system is based literally on speculation and although you need to have good writing ability to be sucessful, there are too many other factors which come into play and it is diffcult to understand exactly what skills are being acessed.

I don't resent the paper - I got 90/90 this Jan but I think the whole thing is based too much on luck and the examiners preferences.
I digress
In a real life situation you would learn the register and style you're meant to be writing in and write your piece accordingly.

I don't think it's based on luck, possibly though the students in your class predicted lower grades was because they are generally not as good at the theory of English Language but are good at the writing element.

I truly believe that it's down to the "better" students being good at the theory side of it but lacking in writing ability. The same has happened in my class, except the ones who are obviously good at both have done well.

Congratulations on your 90/90
PippaLove
Report 10 years ago

I don't resent the paper - I got 90/90 Jan entry but I think the whole thing is based too much on luck and the examiners preferences.
Actually, I have to agree with you there. But I put a lot of effort in to get my A, I don't know about you.
But yeah, you pretty much summed up why it needs to go haha.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by viirkokka)

I don't think it's based on luck, possibly though the students in your class predicted lower grades was because they are generally not as good at the theory of English Language but are good at the writing element.
Actually one of the people who did really well, lacks a natural writing flow/style. I think the reason she did well is because she quoted so much from the pack, did the question which was aimed at GCSE pupils and is quite inventive when it comes to composition and layout (not much to do with english language).

I did work hard for the exam, getting to grips with the pack etc but I don't think thats why I did well to be honest. I really think it was down to luck on the day as I left the hall feeling like I could have done slightly better.

If it was about natural writing ability, then those who did well in Original Writing should have been at ease with the Editorial Writing module, and I didnt see a correlation between the two marks at all.
PippaLove
Report 10 years ago
Yeah i see what you mean.
I don't know about my own Original writing marks, I haven't done it yet. (Doing all my modules in a muddled order

A straight A student in my class was distraught with his D, and I felt really guilty because he had a year more of experience with english language than I did.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PippaLove)

A straight A student in my class was distraught with his D,
At least he gets a chance to resit! A girl from last years Year 13 at my 6th form was a straight A student but she got a U in her Editioral Writing Exam which made her overall A2 go down to a B.
Sadly, she didn't get into her Firm Uni and had to make do with her insurance...

That paper has stuffed so many people up, its rediculous.
viirkokka
Rep:
?

If it was about natural writing ability, then those who did well in Original Writing should have been at ease with the Editorial Writing module, and I didnt see a correlation between the two marks at all.
Well, don't forget that the Original Writing module requires extensive commentary writing which is theory-based.

Also, you can't do well by quoting lot's from the pack although I think the Mark scheme says you should quote a little. I don't think you're meant to quote more than about 100 words at the most.
mr_magoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think it's a good idea to be cut, afterall we're doing A2 English NOT journalism. It also doesn't really reflect your overall ability in the subject. There are loads of A students who end up with E's in this module so i think it's a bit pointless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.02%
Leave (278)
20.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise