Effiechow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I'm a Malaysian student and has just received conditional offer from both universities for the Event Management degree course. I'm currently struggling at choosing which uni I should choose. Coventry's event management ranking is rather high, but Sheffield's city life makes me feel like there's more opportunity to volunteer and work in mega events there. Is rank important for Events Management?
Which university should I choose???? Hope that somebody can help me....
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Effiechow

Congratulations on your university offers!

Which event management course have you received an offer from at Hallam? Is it this one? https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/event-...full-time/2018 If you like - I can introduce you to the course leader to find out more about the course.

Focus on the course and which course you would enjoy the most, as this is what you will be spending the majority of your time doing.

We have student ambassadors at Sheffield Hallam that could help you with your decision and tell you a bit more about student life in Sheffield. SHUGURU

Thanks
Bridget
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Effiechow)
Hello, I'm a Malaysian student and has just received conditional offer from both universities for the Event Management degree course. I'm currently struggling at choosing which uni I should choose. Coventry's event management ranking is rather high, but Sheffield's city life makes me feel like there's more opportunity to volunteer and work in mega events there. Is rank important for Events Management?
Which university should I choose???? Hope that somebody can help me....
Hey!

Choosing the right university for you is really difficult, there are a few things you should think about! First of all, I'd say the content of the course is really important. Even though courses have the same name, they often differ in what they can offer you. Would you prefer something more practical, or theoretical? Do either of the courses offer placement years or work experience? Are there any aspects of events you're interested in that one university seems to cover more than the other? These aspects will help you enjoy your course and gain a lot more from it, particularly when moving on to work after your degree.

Then I'd say it's important to look at the university itself and what it can offer you. I don't know about the other university, but I know that Sheffield Hallam has a lot to offer international students. You said you're Malaysian, are you living there now and travelling to the UK just for your degree? If so, we have an International Experience Team to help you on your arrival and advise you on a range of aspects of living and studying in Sheffield, an orientation programme which is explained here, and a scheme called GoGlobal which offers you opportunities to explore the UK and the surrounding areas of Sheffield in a group of students, to take part in a peer mentoring scheme, and it runs loads of events throughout the year. It's great not only for international students but home students as well, and brings people from all over closer together.

I've also just found this page which offers South-East Asian students a tuition fee discount, which you may be eligible for!

Have a look at some of those sites above and see what you think, and what Coventry might offer too. Other aspects of university such as student support services, communication with tutors/academic advisers, and the offers on at the Students' Union are helpful to look at as well.

After this I think it's time to think about which city you prefer! You seem to have looked into this already - I don't know much about Coventry at all, but I'd agree with you that Sheffield has a multitude of events on to get involved with! The great thing about Sheffield that I've found since living here is how no matter what your interests might be, there's likely to be some things going on that you can get involved with. Our website has some information about the goings on in Sheffield, from festivals to outdoor activities to shopping. For extra insight, you could have a look at our student blog, Now Then magazine, or the Welcome to Sheffield events site.

What kind of events are you most interested in?

The city will also be somewhere you'll live for 3 years at the very least, so have a think about whether you might be able to feel at home here and have a lot of fun!

I know this was a long reply with a lot of links, but I hope it helped. I've been a student at Sheffield Hallam for 3 years so if you have any more questions about studying here, please let me know.

Ellie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (505)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (622)
41.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (306)
20.39%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.53%

Watched Threads