White Girl Watch

aminalia89
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
this thread really brought out the best in everyone...
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The whole idea of a white working class season is the biggest farce in the history of the BBC.
DestinedToFail
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought the same as the OP after watching this too.

Can someone explain what the "BBC White Season" actually is?

Still, all the muslim extras must have had a field day.
Rei
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aminalia89)
this thread really brought out the best in everyone...
Definetly.. :p:

I don't quite know what to make of 'White Girl', i guess noone can really know the BBC's purpose for showing it apart from the BBC...

I quite enjoyed it, to be honest. Potrayed Islam to be quite the religion.. (thats not the only reason i liked it)
pixiepeep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I watched it on BBCiplayer earlier, and I'm really not sure what the message they are trying to convey is. It could be any number of things, none of which really seem to sit comfortably with me:

- Lack of community spirit on council estates leads to disfunctional and abusive relationships in direct contrast to the community atmosphere created by a community-wide religion

- Religion can be used as a tool to escape the misery of everyday life by giving routine and hope

- Not all muslims are terrorists and not all catholic people are saints (although I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain would have already drawn that conclusion a long while ago)

I've got a feeling the BBC was trying to change people's opinions but it's genuinely come over as yet another overtly PC peice of anti-white pro-islam propaganda. I'll never claim to be racist, but I feel that once again the white working class is being treated abominably whilst the ethnic minorities in this country are being elevated. I come from a white working class background, and darn proud of it, and I'm getting a bit fed up of beaing treated as the bad guys in society.

Every race and creed has good and bad people; I don't see why it's non-pc to admit that!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was some very good acting in there from Leah..sorry Laylah! :rolleyes:

But i really don't see why they put Islam in there! The way the girl was in the programme showed she could have been swayed by any religion.

As for white people going into the mosque...i am sure quite a few muslims would ask some questions (thats putting it nicely) . I think the BBC were trying to be too nice to us muslims and in doing so produced nothing better than tripe....not all muslims are as good as shown in there and not all white people are as bad as it portrayed.

But some good points were raised:

- The lack of community spirit etc
- Some people cope using religion and find peace.
- Islam is not all that bad, we do have some good ones!

They tried to change peoples views but came out with something artificial and lacking in substance.
pretz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I agree that any religion could have been used in place of Islam, but the fact that no other religion was is pretty consistent with the BBC's generally pro-Islam stance.
smalltownboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like the way that people use "PC" like it is a bad thing.
Brighten
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by smalltownboy)
I like the way that people use "PC" like it is a bad thing.
My thoughts. I sometimes feel like the only person who supports political correctness. My favourite person ever, Stewart Lee, sums up my thoughts on the matter: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYx4Bc6_eE
smalltownboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I posted that in a topic about PC the other day, Lee is a genius
lolilady---O
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cutie Xx)
eh....i dont think thats what he was saying.
sarcasm maybe?.......
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have just finished watching this program on Iplayer and I was very impressed. I feel that it did what it set out to do very well. The program was meant to see the situation through the little girls eyes and thats why their was this stark contrast because that is often how children see things.

I really think that it was refreshing to see a program which addressed the positives of Islam as a religion with any mention of bombings or terrorism. I think this gave a much needed incite into that side of Islam.
Dirac Delta Function
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought the muslim characters were a bit 'idealised' - I don't think they would be so preachy in real life (anyone been to Bradford?).

quality acting though
the_whirligig
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The point of the season is to show the white working class is a marginalised, dying breed. That it's been reduced to just another ethnic minority demographic within the BBC demonstrates this clean enough, but if these programmes can get away with racist caricatures (exerpts of "the Poles are coming" suggests this) it truly is a death knell.
SolInvictus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
ALL YOUR WHITE GIRLS ARE BELONG TO US

-muslims
You forgot to mispell.
_jackofdiamonds
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drama about a white working class family who move into a Muslim area
Well there's the first clue that reality wasn't important to the show's producers.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pretz)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/white/white_girl.shtml

Anyone else watch this? I found the bias to be depressingly obvious, every Muslim character was articulate, intelligent and patient whereas every non-Muslim character with the exception of the girl that converts is stupid, drunk, violent and rude.
It was exactly the same with the one on rivers of blood, about 3/4 of the people who were talking about it were ethnic which is obviously a clear representation of the UK. The people they had on it were all academic and as English as crumpets, no Indian's that couldn't speak English, no black people dressed as gangstars with a fake Jamaican accent, nothing.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I have just finished watching this program on Iplayer and I was very impressed. I feel that it did what it set out to do very well. The program was meant to see the situation through the little girls eyes and thats why their was this stark contrast because that is often how children see things.

I really think that it was refreshing to see a program which addressed the positives of Islam as a religion with any mention of bombings or terrorism. I think this gave a much needed incite into that side of Islam.
They left out the part where they wouldn't speak English or even bother to talk to the girl in the first place though which intrigued me. Also the part where they over populated houses and drove down the property prices in the area forcing the little girl and her family out.
Higgy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The entire BBC 'White season' has been biased rubbish, its almost saying 'those who are against immigration are racist and wrong'
pretz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Higgy)
The entire BBC 'White season' has been biased rubbish, its almost saying 'those who are against immigration are racist and wrong'
Almost?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads