The Student Room Group

Messed up Edexcel Paper 1 Maths.... HELP!

Right. I've memorized all the content, I've done practice papers, my math teacher is aware I'm not very good at maths so I stayed behind after school until 6.00 PM every Friday, and until 5.00 PM 3 days a week. I've been going on Mathsgenie, Mathswatch, and watching YouTube videos. And I went into that exam feeling confident I did. Until I looked at the exam paper.....

Edexcel Paper 1 was HARD. Very hard. I'm at my wits end right now, because I feel like I've been doing everything. But I'm not the type to wallow in self pity, which is why I'm reaching out to all you maths geniuses who found the paper easy. This half term I'm devoting 95% of my time to maths, because there's still hope for me to get a 6/7 as I've heard.

Question: What do you suggest I do over this half term so I can really smash Edexcel Paper 2 & 3 after half term?
What have you been doing to prepare? Tips/tricks/advice?

It would mean A LOT. Seriously. I need this.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm on the same boat I need a level 6 and I doubt I even got 20 marks
Reply 2
1: Use savemyexams. They provide exam questions for all of the topics and list was grade each topic is (e.g. 6-7: histograms etc)
2: Look at the specification - see if there are any topics that you KNOW you need to go over
3: Look up past papers, do them and mark them. Usually they shape their new papers based on old papers and what people found easy and what people find challenging.
4: Ask your teacher for a checklist of some sort so that you can see what topics are likely to come up
5: If your school is doing revision sessions over half term, go to them!
6: Don't over do it - take regular breaks and revise other topics. Give your mind a break from maths sometimes
7: Don't panic. Like you said, you can still easily get a good grade and you probably did much better than you think!
Good luck.
Only revise the topics that you struggle with.
Same here. I was so stressed when I started the paper I couldn’t even do anything. Wasted so much time. I’m so so so stressed and I don’t know what to do to prepare for paper 2.
How much did you scored in old past papers and what grades did you get?? If you have done all past papers and have gone through what went wrong you shouldn't have any problem . . Be aware that new specification have few new stuff which can't be practised from old past papers e.g circle and tangent stuff and more...look up specification for new stuff and practise those .. you will find practise questions in other exam boards . . Circle and tangent have came from As maths so practising core 1 paper question only about cirvle and tangent and other new stuff would be helpful I guess
Reply 6
Have you tried using Seneca? https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/f5f63e40-237d-11e8-9552-554f7ccff2d1/section/11a3f8e0-2481-11e8-9540-171ec55cb73d
I use it a lot, because it goes through worked examples with you so can be good at explaining how to actually find the answer. And also they repeat questions you get wrong, allowing you to practise the parts you struggle with more.

Beyond that, I just try and do as many past papers as possible as they give the best practice in the format you can expect to see..

Quick Reply

Latest