The Student Room Group

How tight-fitting should you buy your skinny jeans?

I own a pair, which I love. They're a size 8, because the size 6 seemed really tight when I tried them on. But after having worn them for a few days, they got pretty loose. They don't look baggy or anything, but they did give quite a bit.
I just got another pair today, they're GAP ones and size 25/32 and they're really tight. It took me ages to decide whether to go with these or the 26 ones, because these are REALLY tight, but the other ones were a bit wrinkly even in the store, so I felt like they might get baggy as well. The ones I've got now aren't terribly uncomfortable, but they are really tight around the waist. I've been wearing them for a fw hours now, but I'm worried I'll have trouble putting them on when right out of the wash lol

How tight do you usually by yours? And how much do they give? These have a bit of lycra to make them stretchy in them, too.. Just not sure whether I should exchange them for the bigger pair.. duuuuh lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tight enough for me to need to diet before I can sit down.
Yep, if you need to lie on your bed to do them up then its probably all good.
Honestly though its personal preference. Depends what works for you, super tight looks bad on some people, good on others.
If you're going tight, you might as well go tight.
If your tossing up between two sizes always go for the smaller.
Reply 5
Seriously? It's looks before comfort then, is it :P?
The girl in the shop told me to go for the smaller size as well, because apparently it looked "like it should". They just feel very different from my other pants because they're proper tight around the waist. They look great on my legs and bum, but I feel like I have to hold my breath to sit down in them lol
But that's the way it's meant to be then, eh? As you might be able to tell, I have never bought jeans THIS tight before (and most people wouldn't even consider them THAT tight, I guess lol). But I guess it makes sense, as I do think the larger ones would end up too baggy. But these will be hell to put on after the wash lol ?! Or is there a chance they will actually give a bit around the waist, too?
The bigger ones will go small again when you wash and dry them.
My sister finds that all of her skinny jeans get too big after a few hours of wearing them. They only really fit her straight out of the wash. She's only a size 6 too (damn her :P) so she can't really go for a smaller size in a lot of shops.
Reply 8
As tight as you want as long as it doesn't create a muffin top!
Reply 9
The bigger ones won't necessarily get smaller again after the wash, I made that mistake with a pair I bought. In the shop the size below took all of my strength to get over my thighs and zip up (I'm stubborn) and they looked really bulgy and horrible so I got the next size up. They were harder than average to zip up but looked better so I thought they'd be fine, but now they're stretched and baggy and washing them doesn't shrink them enough. Possibly more hassle than they're worth.
Reply 10
Uuuuhm, I'm still undecided.. I've left the tag on for now and I might exchange them later.. Will try them on again after my lecture and see how they feel lol
Depeds on how "skinny" you are. If you're a bit more curvy than average don't go with anything to tight around the thigh :s-smilie:
Reply 12
I don't think I'm "curvy" at all, to be honest lol Not super skinny, but if I was curvy, I doubt I'd even fit into a 25. And they do fit all around the legs, just a bit uncomfortable around the waist, which is why I was wondering whether they'll give or whether that's just the way skinny jeans fit and I'm gonna have to live with it if I don't want to buy a pair that is actually too big, but more comfortable..
when i buy mine i usually buy so i cant do the top button up
Reply 14
Usually they will get baggier around the bum and leg area but not the waist. Personally I buy for comfort. I have bought size 4s before in attempt to not have baggy trousers after 2 wears but they were just so uncomfortable so I took them back.

As long as they are comfy you can tumble dry them so they get smaller again or wash and dry them.
antics
when i buy mine i usually buy so i cant do the top button up

On a girl though that would look skanky.

I think they should be very tight, but you should still be able to take a seat without feeling dreadful.
they stretch though. my apcs atm i can just about do the top button up in the morning.
Buy them so you can put them on...otherwise you can't wear them.
It really depends on how small you are and how you like them...
For example, I like my jeans SKINNY. I'm really short (4ft 9.5 inches) and rally petite, so I usually buy size 8 (I'm actually a size 6, but I prefer 8, 6 just seems too small...) from somewhere like Dorothy Perkins or Topshop (somewhere where I know the sizes and I know they'll fit me). But I'm considering buying them size 13-14yrs from H&M kids, just because I like them tight (...but if I can't put them on, I wouldn't buy 'em.)
I don't understand why people buy jeans so tight they can't sit down or do them up. They must look dreadful - anything that is too tight will make you look fatter no matter what size you really are. Also it must feel like your insides are being squeezed to death the whole time. I like my jeans quite tight but so they actually fit me :biggrin:
Reply 19
Well, I can sit down in them and compared to other people, they probably aren't even that tight, they're just a lot tighter than what I'm used to.

When I wash them, will they be even tighter than now? Because then I might have a problem lol

Latest