OCR AS Biology Breadth Paper 1 Answers

Watch
12KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey if anybody did the AS exam for OCR Biology and remembers any answers, please post them here...
willfoot89
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The similarities between ATP and the nucleotide were that they both had adenine and a phosphate group and the differences were that the sugar was deoxyribose instead of ribose and there are 3 phosphate groups in ATP but only one in DNA nucleotide
Correlation coefficient was like 0.58 I think.
Functions of lipids could be energy source, energy store, insulation, buoyancy or protection
Melting point decreases as molecules become more saturated as kinks in the double bonds push the compounds apart.
Magnification was 350x, Q was phloem, S was xylem and R was cambium.
Properties of water were ice is less dense than water and high specific heat capacity and high boiling point. Feature of efficient gaseous exchange I said good blood supply and explained but you could have had this distance or large surface area. I messed up the SA:V ratio as I didn’t times the cross sectional area by 6 to get the total surface area but I think the answers were 0.6 and 1.5 if you did it correctly.

If anyone asks me another or I think of anymore I’ll add to this thread
12KK
Rep:
?
For the differences in DNA and ATPI put DNA molecule forms the basis for heredity and genetics, whereas ATP doesn't it's just a form of energy supplyDNA molecule consists of 4 nitrogenous bases aswell bound together by hydrogen bonds, whereas ATP doesn't have this. For one of the similarities, I put that they're both a double stranded helixical shape for some stupid reason.! Just realised I threw some easy marks away 😑
ALikesGeetars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There was one question on frogs with folds in their skin:
It wanted the Genus, it was something like Tamaltobius.
Then it was talking about diffusion through the skin, and how having folds is good for diffusion, so I basically talked about increasing the Surface Area: Volume ratio for diffusion.
There was one question on spearman's rank where we had to fill in a table. I had no idea how to do spearmans rank (never done it before) but I basically organised the numbers in the table in a rank from 1-10. Then I used the formula and ended up getting 0.58 or something close
12KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by ALikesGeetars)
There was one question on frogs with folds in their skin:
It wanted the Genus, it was something like Tamaltobius.
Then it was talking about diffusion through the skin, and how having folds is good for diffusion, so I basically talked about increasing the Surface Area: Volume ratio for diffusion.
There was one question on spearman's rank where we had to fill in a table. I had no idea how to do spearmans rank (never done it before) but I basically organised the numbers in the table in a rank from 1-10. Then I used the formula and ended up getting 0.58 or something close
Genus of frog:
Telmatobias
Properties of water which make it a good habitat:
Low viscosity
High specific heat capacity
Why is has large folds of skin:
Increases surface area = more efficient gaseous exhange/diffusion through skin
One feature of lungs to provide efficient gas exchange:
Lots of alveoli, increases surface area
Alveoli are only one cell thick, short diffusion pathway
Two ways the students could have had confidence in their results:
I'm not sure about this one...
Calculating SA:V ratio of cubes a and b
A: 0.6
B: 1.5
We sa:v ratio of an organism determines whether it needs a circulatory system:
Something along the lines of larger organisms have a smaller SA:V Ratio therefore diffusion alone is not enough to supply the adequate nutrients to the body cells deep within the organism, hence they need a circulatory system to assist them with this
ALikesGeetars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 12KK)
Genus of frog:
Telmatobias
Properties of water which make it a good habitat:
Low viscosity
High specific heat capacity
Why is has large folds of skin:
Increases surface area = more efficient gaseous exhange/diffusion through skin
One feature of lungs to provide efficient gas exchange:
Lots of alveoli, increases surface area
Alveoli are only one cell thick, short diffusion pathway
Two ways the students could have had confidence in their results:
I'm not sure about this one...
Calculating SA:V ratio of cubes a and b
A: 0.6
B: 1.5
We sa:v ratio of an organism determines whether it needs a circulatory system:
Something along the lines of larger organisms have a smaller SA:V Ratio therefore diffusion alone is not enough to supply the adequate nutrients to the body cells deep within the organism, hence they need a circulatory system to assist them with this
Ahh yes! That was it!
memone113
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
can some1 put the whole unofficial ms
memone113
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
leaf density question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (1)
25%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (2)
50%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (1)
25%

Watched Threads