What to pack?
What food?

??
Gumball123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not really much tbh, just go with the flow.
Packing wise.... clothes, toiletries, laptop and some food (maybe some stuff you can freeze if your accommodation has a freezer)
I personally wouldn't recommend buying books before you actually start your course though.
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Luckily there's no particular hurry. When you confirm your accommodation, you usually get a list of what is included and what you need to bring. You could start to look for any individual things that you'll need for the kitchen e.g. cutlery, plates e.t.c or things to decorate your room with. Usually you find and chat with your flatmates beforehand to discuss who's bringing/buying what appliances e.g. kettle, toaster for the kitchen or you can buy them when you arrive.

Academically, I revisited some of my a level stuff over the summer, so that I didn't forget it all. I also looked up some of the topics covered in the 1st semester but it really depends on what course you're doing.
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by loooooooooool0)
What to do in summer?
What to pack?
What food?

??

Back in the day - and this was a while back - I received a reading list, so I could get some work done over the summer, in preparation for university. I studied English literature. 90% of what I read did not make it onto the course, but it did give me a good grounding for what followed, and I felt confident and prepared when I started. Many of my classmates had not done the reading, and it was noticeable. Making a good start is important, I think.

As another poster has commented, if you are entering halls, you will get a note of what is available to you and what you need to bring with you. I travelled from my home (in Scotland) to London, to attend university, so a lot of what I needed, I either shipped down in advance, or bought when I arrived. If you are more local, and can drive there, it will be a lot easier to just stack up your car with everything.

As I recall, I had to bring a duvet, bedding, pillows, plates, cutlery and any basic kitchen equipment (cork screw, kettle for your room, cups, pans, and it is handy to have some tupperware too). The halls had toasters and communal kettles and microwaves.

I brought stationery with me, and sufficient clothes for a change of seasons during term time, but did not pack excessively, as you will find you accumulate a lot of stuff, and have to remove it all between terms.

MY number one piece of advice is to invest in a personal alarm. The piece of mind that this will bring to you, and your family, is second to none. Especially if you are moving to a city. No doubt you will never need to use this, but just having this with you, as you travel around in a new environment, will make you feel more confident. This is relevant for both men and women.

Enjoy this time in your life though - it is so exciting, and I promise, you will never forget it.

best wishes
SHUGURU
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by loooooooooool0)
What to do in summer?
What to pack?
What food?

??
Hey,

A few things myself myself and my brother did before going to university helped us become more independent and gain a sense of what it'd be like to fully look after ourselves. These might be things you already do, but others have absolutely no clue, so it differs. For example, we'd food shop and cook meals for our family, sort out the laundry, simple domestic things that you're going to have to do every day for yourself once you start university.

As long as you pack the essentials (you can find lists all over the Internet of what people take), I don't think you need to worry too much, as you'll always be able to buy anything extra you need once you're there. This will make travelling/moving in easier and mean that you and your flatmates don't all end up bringing kettles when you already have one or could've split the cost.

If you've got a reading list from your university it might be helpful to look up some of those books and browse them a little, though I don't think it's essential to buy all of them before you start. Many people did this for my course and the library ended up having loads of copies of them.

I'd also suggest looking at Facebook groups for your uni to find others on your course and in your halls! I spoke to my flatmates in a group chat before I came and it made meeting them really easy. The same happened with my coursemates - I was able to recognise people to walk in with and sit next to.

Enjoy your summer before university, and good luck for going!
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In addition to the above advice, I think SHUGURU had a great answer in this thread in regards to what you could do during the summer!
SHUGURU
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Michelle Bieger)
In addition to the above advice, I think SHUGURU had a great answer in this thread in regards to what you could do during the summer!
Thanks, I try!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads