Should the 7 Deadly Sins be modernised? Watch

grammar_king
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's laughable that the Pope thinks he and his ilk are an authority on genetic engineering and its related ethics. Almost as laughable as Scientologists saying they are. No, actually it's more laughable than that, at least they pretend to know a bit about science.
Nadinus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought the whole point of the seven deadly sins was that they were universal and are wrong in just about any context, a sin against yourself as much as against society? A lot of those listed boil down to greed. And seriously, how do you define "excessive wealth", "morally debatable" experiments, "fundamental rights". Their fair enough guidelines, but to replace the deadly sins? No way.
Jhawkins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think they are intended to replace them, per se. I believe they are just a modern addition.
Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Presumably the Pope and the higher echelons of the Catholic Church will be paying a visit to the burny fire then, due to the obscene wealth at the top of the Church?
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They haven't personally acheived the wealth of the Church though. They don't live materialistic lives so they can't be condemned.
Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jhawkins)
They haven't personally acheived the wealth of the Church though. They don't live materialistic lives so they can't be condemned.
You really think the heads of the Catholic Church don't live materialistic lives!?
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, definately not to the extent which they could.
Soulman87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get the feeling that the pope isn't exactly going hungry though
Sidhe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rabbit Season)
Catholics can do whatever the hell they like, they're already the laughing stock of the world.

Why is this on Have Your Say? Why should anyone other than Catholics care whether the president of Catholic land changes up his religion? It has no bearing on my life at all, but having it as a Have Your Say question makes it seem as though it should.
Because HYS is a bot that puts up threads according to the BBC Website: HYS. So this clown who I think should be banned for trolling gets away with murder!
Rabbit Season
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sidhe)
So this clown who I think should be banned for trolling gets away with murder!
What is the meaning of that non sequitur statement?
Sidhe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What is the meaning of that non sequitur statement?
Er it was a joke, you see the bot is actually an automated feature of... ah why bother if you have to explain it it's not funny.
Rabbit Season
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sidhe)
Er it was a joke, you see the bot is actually an automated feature of... ah why bother if you have to explain it it's not funny.
I see now. It would've been funny but I don't think the second sentence was clear enough, never mind. I think HYS should be banned too, I'm gonna give him some negrep.
Sidhe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I see now. It would've been funny but I don't think the second sentence was clear enough, never mind. I think HYS should be banned too, I'm gonna give him some negrep.
Yeah, it's hard to sell a joke on the internet: point taken.

You can't neg him as you can never see his rep, and if you report him it's just ignored: how wrong is that? The guys a coward!
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The RCC has been growing a body my mixing in Babylonian, ideas with Christian (old and new testament) + a load of their own ideas of right and wrong and what God wants for centuries.

Now they criticise stem cell research that has actually done some good!
Ayesha.maya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
The last one was to do with wealth? what a moron the pope is! The son of a ***** has gold chalices, millions of pounds, BUT millions are dying of poverty! This is what the 'rep' of God is supposed be huh? *******!
So so true. Incidentally, I don't believe in "sin", at least not in the way the church wants me to!! For everything in life there is a reason, some are bad some are good and some are circumstantial, nobody has the right to point fingers at the you and tell you what is right and what is wrong, for half the time- there is no such thing.
DirtyHarry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who honestly gives a crap?

I could kill a hundred people and it wouldn't make a difference to what happens to me after death.
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do we get new virtues as well? Gotta have balance
bourbon_creams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jhawkins)
I don't think they intend to change them, just to add new modern ones.
This is true.
These sins, takin the format of the original ones, just seem like a comment by the Church on modern living.
They don't hold a candle to the original ones

Aquinas recognised seven practically unavoidable but unsavoury traits in the human constitution. The 7 deadly sins are in human nature, and they bring your soul down to a base level

These new ones are just.. well.. polluting the environment? Yeah, it's bad, but it's a completely different thing to lust, avarice and sloth... It's a symptom of a disease, rather than its root
bourbon_creams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ayesha.maya)
So so true. Incidentally, I don't believe in "sin", at least not in the way the church wants me to!! For everything in life there is a reason, some are bad some are good and some are circumstantial, nobody has the right to point fingers at the you and tell you what is right and what is wrong, for half the time- there is no such thing.
LOL @ both posts
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.59%
No (670)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.67%

Watched Threads