My new coat, I need opinions! Feel free to tell me it's hideous if need be! Watch

Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
I understand by what you mean by it being 'busy'. I've never really worried about whether what I wear underneath matches my coat though. Do I need to take that into consideration? I mean I know the peripheral stuff eg tights, shoes, trousers, gloves etc should match the coat, but I've never bothered to match my tops etc with my coat so long as they're not 'seen' together with the coat...if that makes sense? I've always thought of it as being one outfit with the coat and a differnt one without the coat...should I think differently? aaargh!

Thanks for your replies guys.

dancingqueen - I'm a size 10 so hopefully it won't look bulky!
That's what I do too, match the coat with the bottom half, the things that are visible. Also obviously, scarves/gloves, and that my handbag looks decent with the coat.

As long as you're not gonna walk about with your coat undone so it's visible what you're wearing on top, it doesn't really matter I guess
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I tried that on in M&S and have to say it looks dead frumpy on. It's too padded and the collar would drive me mad. Can ya guess I didn't buy it lol.
blondevalkyrie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's really unusual and a bargain! Keep it
Jelkin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's awesome!
minimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by ixnayonthehombre)
I wouldn't say its hideous. The pattern is unusual, but nice. What sort of occasion is it for? Everyday? Going out? It strikes me as a posh going out sort of coat
going out mainly, or when I'm 'dressing up' (ie stockings and heels) during the day.

I might try it with my wide legged dark indigo jeans and a smart, plain, fitted jumper/cardigan with high heeled boots (the pointy-toe variety) for a smart day look though
loopymeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like it ;yes;

Sell it to me, it's freezing in Loughborough :p:
theredwindmill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think it is pretty cool, i love that style hehe well done on the bargain hehe
PygmyShrew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I like it.
JKLJKL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't like it personally. But as with all fashion. if you wear it confidently itll suit you.
t_ucd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really like it! If you can pull it off it would look fantastic. I'd probably wear all black with it.
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
depends how you wear it. the sort of pattern is in fashion, but essentially it is a granny pattern and frumpy - which means the way to wear it is clear: only with the sexiest outfit you have! You got to wear high heels with that and not jeans or trousers, maybe black tights or best none, i suppose. and the dress or skirt shouldn't have a longer hemline than the coat i reckon. Sexy hairdo and make-up a must too. sunglasses if the occasion permits it. Everything has to be very sexy (but no fussy patterns or fishnets etc)! So a good going out coat, like you said you wanted to wear it.
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're confident enough to wear it - I don't see why you couldn't carry it off
ash_moo
Report 10 years ago
Oh.my.good.god...:eek:
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
looks quite posh actually
mavoury
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I LOVE it minimo! Its definitely a "statement" coat; wear with dark tights and flats, and it will look very chic. It is quite Cossack/Russian in its pattern and style. I'd keep it if I were you
Sundous
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It would look great wearing all black underneath, it kind of looks like something you can't possibly combine with everything in your closet :p: so it's a great coat to have hanging when you feel like dressing chique. On the other hand, that isn't always a positive thing because it'll probably hang in your closet more than that you actually wear it, it's weighing those things + the money I guess.

Is it tailored btw? I can't really tell from the picture.
loopymeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mavoury)
It is quite Cossack/Russian in its pattern and style. I'd keep it if I were you
Yeah, that's the first thing that popped into my head. If it was my coat I'd be wearing it with some knee-high boots and smart clothes/office chic.

/wants
ragman_wonder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with Cocoa.
minimo
Rep:
?
(Original post by mavoury)
I LOVE it minimo! Its definitely a "statement" coat; wear with dark tights and flats, and it will look very chic. It is quite Cossack/Russian in its pattern and style. I'd keep it if I were you
it's bizarre you say that! I have a mild Russia obsession, I want to apply for Russian Studies for my masters :eek2: :eek4:
minimo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sundous)
It would look great wearing all black underneath, it kind of looks like something you can't possibly combine with everything in your closet :p: so it's a great coat to have hanging when you feel like dressing chique. On the other hand, that isn't always a positive thing because it'll probably hang in your closet more than that you actually wear it, it's weighing those things + the money I guess.

Is it tailored btw? I can't really tell from the picture.
Yep tailored
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1375)
79.57%
Leave (353)
20.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise