Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mark renton
how hard is it too get a first ?

For you? Too hard.
Reply 2
Depends how thick you are.
Reply 3
Depends on the time and effort you are willing to put into it.
Reply 4
Well my bf is on track for one and he does looooads of reading and even goes to the library on weekends... he makes sure he does all his assignments way before they are due in and really enjoys his course :smile:
Reply 5
iTalya
Well my bf is on track for one and he does looooads of reading and even goes to the library on weekends... he makes sure he does all his assignments way before they are due in and really enjoys his course :smile:

THE LIBRARY AT THE WEEKEND? My gosh.

To be honest I think you have to show your course a lot of devotion. People will say it's about how smart you are, it isn't really I think. A monkey could get a first in most subjects provided it was willing to work 20 hours a day.
Reply 6
iTalya

Sickening.
:wink:
Reply 7
mark renton
obviously it varies from course to course but i mean just roughly, what levels of constant effort and attainment are we talking here?

Well, you will have to give yourself a good grounding in the 2nd year (achieving at least 65/solid middle-way 2.i), otherwise you'll find it hard to pull your marks up - even if the 3rd year is worth 75%.
Then, you'll need to be getting 1sts or high 2.i's (68+) pretty consistently throughout your final year to keep at the standard. I know that Brum has a degree calculator which shows you how many marks you need at a certain standard to achieve certain degree classifications - hence you don't need to get 70 to get a first (I think you can get one with a 69 in some circumstances).
You don't necessarily need to be 'smart' but you need to know your subject well, and obviously be producing your best work. Working hard does normally equal better marks - if you feel you've invested time and energy into it, then you will normally be rewarded.
Reply 8
Depends on the course. From what I've seen, with science courses you tend to get firsts more often, as they are based on facts - if you know them, then you can get a first. However, they also get 2.2s and lower more often, as if you don't know them, you're screwed. With arts subjects/essay heavy subjects you get far fewer firsts as they are based on far more subjective material, but most people tend to get 2.1s.
Reply 9
79% of students on my course get a 2.1 or above, with 17% achieving a 1st. Is this a good,decent or bad?
Reply 10
Its harder than slamming a revolving door shut.
Reply 11
I agree that it's mainly about the work you put in. Before Christmas I kept up with my courses and did all my assignments but didn't kill myself working for most of the semester. The last two weeks I crammed to the point of exhaustion and ended up with 68% overall. If I had just put in more work over the semester I could have gotten a first, which is what I'm trying to do this semester.
Profesh
For you? Too hard.

D-
Reply 13
We got told the other day that between 5-8% of people on our course get a first. But I do Law, and it could be said that Law is harder than some other subjects.

But overall, it really does depend on how much work you're willing to put in. If you work hard, put effort in, it's possible.

If you enjoy your subject, it's much easier, as you'll enjoy doing the work more!
Reply 14
We got told the other day that between 5-8% of people on our course get a first. But I do Law, and it could be said that Law is harder than some other subjects.

Well thats a can of worms opened...
Reply 15
ssk2
Well thats a can of worms opened...

That's why i said it COULD be said :p:

But please, don't think that i'm saying that Law is harder than other subjects. It depends if you're better at essay based subjects etc. Law is very much like that, so for those people who are more practical they will find it harder. Similarly, i'd find it different to do a practical based subject, as i'm rubbish at anything practical.
I think a lot of dedication and a little natural aptitude (or vice versa) for the given subject will achieve a 1st class BSc/BA degree in more or less all cases.
I'd also say more advanced degrees like MSc's will require more natural ability than dedication.
Reply 17
Schokis
Sickening.
:wink:

I imagine you too know people who do this... and I bet they are on track for a first. Or at least on track to perform to the best of their ability.
Reply 18
Personally for me I think its very hard, easier if you actuallly enjoy the subject as your more motivated to work! I was aiming for a 1st last year, which I managed but only borderline, it nearly killed me! I am not naturally clever so I had to work all hours of the day, it was very stressful and very unhappy, looking back I am not sure if it was worth it!! So this year I am just going to try my best, without worrying about getting 1st... a 2.1 and a smile on my face will be great for me!

But, hey if you can get a 1st without comprimising your health, than go for it will be a great achievement!
Reply 19
Alas, I was torn between wit and apathy; and so opted for neither.

Latest

Trending

Trending