The Student Room Group

A level english literature prose and poetry, context

Hello, i completed my year 12 english literature mock for prose and poetry and forgot to include contextual factors in my responses. How much do you think this will limit my grade. Do you think it is still possible to get a B or A grade if all the other assessment objectives are strong.
I do AQA English lit and the context band is most focused on so it has the most marks. I think you're limiting your grade a lot if you miss it out (if you do AQA. I don't know about other boards). You're still going to get a decent grade if you score high on other bands but still :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by Estarossa
I do AQA English lit and the context band is most focused on so it has the most marks. I think you're limiting your grade a lot if you miss it out (if you do AQA. I don't know about other boards). You're still going to get a decent grade if you score high on other bands but still :s-smilie:

I do edexcel, the mark scheme said there are 20 marks awarded for a01 and a02. Context(a03) and ao4 make up the remaining 20 marks. I was hoping if i score high on a04 i wouldnt lose that many marks but idk.
Original post by ELLover
I do edexcel, the mark scheme said there are 20 marks awarded for a01 and a02. Context(a03) and ao4 make up the remaining 20 marks. I was hoping if i score high on a04 i wouldnt lose that many marks but idk.

Missing out a quarter of the marks is pretty ugh, but if you do get high marks on the other bands, you're still limiting yourself to like a B/C or something? I don't really know... don't stress about it too much since it's only a mock and next time, I'm sure you won't forget context :smile:
Reply 4
Missing out a quarter of the marks is pretty ugh, but if you do get high marks on the other bands, you're still limiting yourself to like a B/C or something? I don't really know... don't stress about it too much since it's only a mock and next time, I'm sure you won't forget context :smile:

lol yh im deffo going to revise context the most for the real thing. Thanks for the advice, i have one more question.
My teacher usually advises we write a range of points but in the other essay i only made one point that was really well developed and supported with quotations. How much do you think this will limit my grade in that essay?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ELLover
lol yh im deffo going to revise context the most for the real thing. Thanks for the advice, i have one more question.
My teacher usually advises we write a range of points but in the other essay i only made one point that was really well developed and supported with quotations. How much do you think this will limit my grade?

Haha, no problem! For us, we usually write about 4 paragraphs (6 if you include a very short introduction and a short conclusion at the end) so 1 point for each paragraph. I'm not too sure about you though... If I'm to guess, I think your well developed point would be equivalent to like 2 or maybe 3 points by a little? I think it's quite limiting that there's only one point but because it's so developed, they have to give you more credit lol. Honestly I really don't know :s-smilie: I think your grade would be limited to C or even more but again, I'm really not sure :frown:. What does Edexcel like to focus on?
Reply 6
Haha, no problem! For us, we usually write about 4 paragraphs (6 if you include a very short introduction and a short conclusion at the end) so 1 point for each paragraph. I'm not too sure about you though... If I'm to guess, I think your well developed point would be equivalent to like 2 or maybe 3 points by a little? I think it's quite limiting that there's only one point but because it's so developed, they have to give you more credit lol. Honestly I really don't know :s-smilie: I think your grade would be limited to C or even more but again, I'm really not sure :frown:. What does Edexcel like to focus on?

my teachers didnt really explain the assessment objectives to me that well so im not really sure. I think im just going to try and stop stressing and view this as a serious wake up call, i really underestimated how much revision was required for english but tbh its too late to do anything about it now. Ill just take your advice and makesure i learn from this mistake to ensure i dont flop the real thing.
Thanks for all your help and advice.

Quick Reply

Latest