Should teenagers swear allegiance to the Queen? Watch

PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If i swore allegiance to my plumber it would be worth more because my plumber actually does something rather than sit around and spend tax payers money on holidays.
Conkermon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ugh so sick of hearing these "big brother" "mindless drones" arguments. This is not a recent phenomenon, it's not a government conspiracy.

Swearing allegiance to the monarch has been part of British culture longer than it has not. Read Pepys' diary if you want to get an idea of it, Charles II has just returned from exile and it is common practice to drink the King's health and toast the King etc. Granted, the monarch was far more significant in those days, but parilament was essential and things weren't *so* different in that respect.

It's harmless, it's an attempt to unify people behind our head of state - who symbolises of our history, culture and everything that is great about this country (even if in reality she is old and serves little purpose, it is not about that.)

If you'd rather take an oath to the flag then fair enough but there's not really all that much of a difference in what it symbolises. No-one takes it literally - that you would actually go off to the Republic of Ireland and attempt to take it back on the Queen's colonial whim..

If you'd rather not swear loyalty to this country at all - then why not? You reside here, are defended from external threats by the government, probably study or earn a living here. You take advantages of the opportunities provided for you here. Why not be loyal to this country?
Grape190190
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Conkermon)

If you'd rather not swear loyalty to this country at all - then why not? You reside here, are defended from external threats by the government, probably study or earn a living here. You take advantages of the opportunities provided for you here. Why not be loyal to this country?

So, because I happen to live on the same lump of land as you, I should be more loyal to you than to someone living in Australia? The concept of patriotism is just a highly effective bit of propaganda. As long as we're loyal to the state, we'll respect its authority.

People who talk about 'national pride' in glowing terms have simply been brainwashed.
Victor See
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just because someone is loyal to Britain, does not mean they want to swear allegance to the queen. What does swearing allegance to the queen actually mean? If the queen asks you to jump of a cliff, you'll do it?

If they want us to swear allegance to anything, I'd much rather it be to the country instead though I'm not sure Id be entierly for that either.
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by largebrandon)
I think it is a great idea! It takes away the excuse of "I never swore allegiance to anyone, so I shouldn't follow the law, etc."

I would be more than willing to swear allegiance to the Queen.
You think forcing all school leavers will solve The Chav Problem?

1) It is a well known fact that they don't really go to school
2) I think they need a little more of an incentive than "oh I swore to the queen" to stop beating people up
the wolf at the door
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if i were asked to, i'd refuse.
Laursy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i would swear allegiance to someone worth doing it for, like the many soliders who risk there lives everyday to fight for us!!

or for the doctors and nurses who work all hours of the day to save other peoples lives!!

not the queen, im sorry but i its a load of trash,

I never swore allegiance to anyone, so I shouldn't follow the law
there will still be weridos and manaics and blah blah blah out there so what would this rubbish acheive excatly?
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really wouldn't wanna do that. I'm not a fan of my country much!!
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Victor See)
Just because someone is loyal to Britain, does not mean they want to swear allegance to the queen. What does swearing allegance to the queen actually mean? If the queen asks you to jump of a cliff, you'll do it?
Nope, that'd be violating her oath to you.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Frater)
The Queen is a figurehead of the country, nothing more. Allegiance should be sworn to the nation, as America swears allegaince to America not to george bush.
I have loyalty to the Queen because she is charged with upholding the laws and governing the people well.

I do not have any loyalty to 'the nation' - which is a largely fictional commonality I apparently share with a bunch of people I've never met.
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how many times have you met The Queen?
Kanet
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Nope, that'd be violating her oath to you.
Precisely!!! People seem to forget it's a two-way street. Our allegience to the Queen is tempered by Her allegience to humbly serve Her country.

For the record I happily consider myself having sworn allegience to the Queen and her realms.
Kanet
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jgupta)
I haven't met Jesus Christ but I still consider myself under his care and owing a duty to Him... your point.
simdam
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the queen and all monarchies in general are a medieval way of thinking. i would never ever swear allegiance to any government nor politic party. im a person who doesn't believe in " the mother country" and the fact that anyone should have to swear allegiance to the British Queen, just shows how backwards the UK is in many ways. We are not in the reign of the Great Commonwealth anymore, ( and it was never really that great).
it is not going to give any sense of " belongingness" at all.
it is time to spend more money on social issues and less on the monarchy, which has no particular function, except representing a lost pass.
:tsr2:
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jgupta)
Once, but I don't pretend to to be a part of some sort of fantasy community of which she and I are members because... erm... someone drew a line on a map.
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kanet)
I haven't met Jesus Christ but I still consider myself under his care and owing a duty to Him... your point.
I'm not making the point that you have to meet people to have allegiance to them, the guy I quoted was.

I don't feel any allegiance towards the queen but I don't think "not meeting" someone is a reason not to feel 'allegiance' - the army, for example, should and do swear allegiance to the people of the country, even though theyve not met them.
Grape190190
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kanet)
Two delusions don't make a reality, my friend.
* Catrin *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i forward my belief in a simple manner so i do not get into and irate rant

NO
Yusuf.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hells to the no.
Woman does nothing except talk really slow and chat on about her bleeding corgies.
bourbon_creams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would swear allegiance to the Queen rather than the country.
I mean, what is "the country"?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.86%
No (582)
60.31%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.83%

Watched Threads