Should teenagers swear allegiance to the Queen? Watch

bourbon_creams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Once, but I don't pretend to to be a part of some sort of fantasy community of which she and I are members because... erm... someone drew a line on a map.
Lol have you been reading Hobsbawm or something.
But I agree.
I have no sense of nationalism at all
But I know I would go to great lengths to support the Queen if it came to it, not out of respect for her personally, but for the institution of monarchy.
soph!e
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonny0679)
I don't sponge actually
Please re-read the relevant part of my post in which I say:
'unlike many bristish people who DO sponge off the government' If you can tell me which part of that assumes that you 'sponge' I will give you a medal. My point was very general- of the migrants who come here and are allowed to work will 999/1000 do so- as I said many of them esp those from E.europe come specifically to do work which british citizens (again no suggestion that you would take this attitude) would refuse to do.
Victor See
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The problem is that many people (including me), do not like the idea of a monachy and so swearing allegiance to the queen is really just a moot point.

The fact that she has sworn to protect us or whatever doesn't really matter. It's like someone off the street comes up to you and says they have sworn an oath to protect you. Does that mean you should swear allegiance to that person?
Soulman87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Say, isn't this meant to promote citizenship? If I were to swear allegiance to the monarchy, I would, by definition, be a subject not a citizen.

This idea is meant to foster patriotism, but I feel that that patriotism breeds jingoism and warmongering.
Conkermon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh God some of the people on here are the kind of person that would give junkies smack for fear of violating their human rights.

Bit of harmless patriotism and people think it's going to divide communities and brainwash the masses (we are not a radical country - we have always been cynics, and very few would take it ultra-seriously) or are deeply offended that they are theoretically swearing allegiance to one person (although in reality I doubt anyone is actually stupid enough to fail to recognise that the Queen symbolises the country/history/culture).

We have many serious social problems in the UK today, with war veterans being mugged, medals being stolen, drunk kids battering one another... If people were taught from a young age that we were all British and that this is something to be proud of then perhaps there would be a decline in the aforementioned problems.

Not to mention the fact that it should help make those that come from foreign countries integrate from a young age and prevent them feeling alienated within the UK (and possibly turning to terrorism).
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Down with the royal family. Up the republic and true democracy within the UK.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Soulman87)
Say, isn't this meant to promote citizenship? If I were to swear allegiance to the monarchy, I would, by definition, be a subject not a citizen.
No. You are a British citizen in law, that is all.
Mr. Tinkertrain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not only should we swear allegiance, but I say the monarchy makes a return.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Tinkertrain)
Not only should we swear allegiance, but I say the monarchy makes a return.
The Italian monarchy, you mean?
Mr. Tinkertrain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I adhere to Machiavelli's beliefs.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Tinkertrain)
I adhere to Machiavelli's beliefs.
Good for you. Excellent way to cut down on the *******.
Pigeon Explosion
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's something distinctly creepy about the idea of swearing allegiance. As well as this, it's not going to solve any of the problems with society; it's a pointless exercise. For example, in America, they still pledge allegiance, and we all know what a well-balanced and inclusive society they've got running over there, don't we?
spacecowgirl89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. I'd refuse, simply because it would just mean nothing to me.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pigeon Explosion)
For example, in America, they still pledge allegiance, and we all know what a well-balanced and inclusive society they've got running over there, don't we?
Because that's not an extreme logical fallacy, is it?

:rolleyes:
Pigeon Explosion
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Because that's not an extreme logical fallacy, is it?

:rolleyes:
I was being sarcastic :p: kinda hard to put across on the internet, sorry.
Unless you mean the 'well-balanced and inclusive' part...eeeh just ignore me
LouLou815
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can see why they would wnat to introduce something like this, but it will not work. I for one wouldn't to it for the simple reason that it would mean nothing to me, as it wouldn't to millions of others. They speak of 'rewarding' those who do, which means people will swear alligence just for this, not for the respect of the UK. At the end of the day, it would be a pointless exercise. You cannot force true patriotism on people through a swearing of alligence! Rant over
Ministerdonut
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think that Gordon Brun has a damn cheek considering he and the likes of him have systematically torn this country apart over the years. I believe the Queen is most upset about not being consulted on the matter . I have read that there are various options being considered about who or what to swear allegience too by the Government.

In my personal view if teenagers are going to swear allegiance to anybody it should be the Queen. That being said I think it is unBritish to ask teenagers to do this and smacks to me as shutting the stable door once the horse has bolted.There are various roles in society where allegience to the Queen should be sought but asking Kids to do it no.

It's a shame the Queen can't get rid of that idiot and his lackeys like Harriet Harman and impose a real leader like Jeremy Clarkson. I know who'd I'd support and it wouldn't be that nasty Jock:mad:
LouLou815
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ministerdonut)
It's a shame the Queen can't get rid of that idiot and his lackeys like Harriet Harman and impose a real leader like Jeremy Clarkson.
HAHAHA! Oh gawd, Clarkson would be awesome!
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Conkermon)
Oh God some of the people on here are the kind of person that would give junkies smack for fear of violating their human rights.

Bit of harmless patriotism and people think it's going to divide communities and brainwash the masses (we are not a radical country - we have always been cynics, and very few would take it ultra-seriously) or are deeply offended that they are theoretically swearing allegiance to one person (although in reality I doubt anyone is actually stupid enough to fail to recognise that the Queen symbolises the country/history/culture).

We have many serious social problems in the UK today, with war veterans being mugged, medals being stolen, drunk kids battering one another... If people were taught from a young age that we were all British and that this is something to be proud of then perhaps there would be a decline in the aforementioned problems.

Not to mention the fact that it should help make those that come from foreign countries integrate from a young age and prevent them feeling alienated within the UK (and possibly turning to terrorism).
Thats one of the most naive posts I've read in this topic so far.

Drunken scumbags in trekkies would be doing the same even if they were made to swear an oath of allegiance fo the Queen. If you think our social problems are going to be solved by having kids in a class-room swear their allegiance then you must be soft in the head. Its never been about being proud to be British, other people have a different idea of Britishness and I'll tell you now a lot of people still see Britishness as whites against the immigrants. No oath of allegiance is going to change that. Not to mention those that have no affinity with the Queen and have republican or anti-monarchist views, why should they make an oath to allegiance to the Queen and more importantly what will be done to them if they dont?

If people want to make an oath of allegiance to the Queen it is a personal choice to do so, forcing people to do it will make them even more anti-monarch and maybe even anti-British, they may as well be if the British government cant respect their views anyway eh?
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How about allegiance to the UK flag instead?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.3%
No (418)
72.7%

Watched Threads