Turn on thread page Beta

Should teenagers swear allegiance to the Queen? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    How about allegiance to the UK flag instead?
    Because swearing allegiance to a piece of fabric is inherently ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    No more ridiculous than swearing allegience to the monarch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason Sparks)
    It is absolutely more ridiculous than searing to the monarch. The British Flag is A symbol of the British government, but the Monarch is THE symbol of the British Government. Britain can be Britain in the World stage without the flag, but it cannot be Britain without the Monarch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by largebrandon)
    It is absolutely more ridiculous than searing to the monarch. The British Flag is A symbol of the British government, but the Monarch is THE symbol of the British Government. Britain can be Britain in the World stage without the flag, but it cannot be Britain without the Monarch.
    Oh what rubbish. The symbol of our Government is suffrage and elections every 5 years.

If you honestly think that Her Majesty somehow comprises our Government - aside from in the mystical sense that she is rightfully chosen by God - then you're an idiot.

And - cannot be Britain without the Monarch? You're living on Planet DayDream.

ReputationRep:
    The monarch swears to serve her people; a flag cannot. The monarch actually does something; a flag hangs limply in the rain. The monarch can take account of our allegiance and utilise it to a certain end; a flag can be used as a convenient blanket when you get cold.

There are plenty of differences.

ReputationRep:
    Swear an oath to the houses of parlimment or something.
    The Queen has no real powers now anyway, She has no royal perogitive powers, they all belong to the PM now, or just about (She is advised on everything, which meand that Brown tells her what to do basically)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The monarch swears to serve her people; a flag cannot. The monarch actually does something; a flag hangs limply in the rain. The monarch can take account of our allegiance and utilise it to a certain end; a flag can be used as a convenient blanket when you get cold.

There are plenty of differences.
    Does she really, though?

Do you honestly think she could refuse Royal Ascent, all in the name of protecting her Subjects, without causing a sort of political row that would end in her abolition?

Tell me how she really serves her people.

I'm a Monarchist, but I don't delude myself.

ReputationRep:
    Should teenagers swear allegiance to the Queen?
    No what difference will it make ? Kids these days dont know bad from good. What the hell would be the point? It would be a joke .

ReputationRep:
    Both remain ridiculous though.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is only ridiculous because England already has a healthy regard for Queen and Country, and an oath of allegience is almost an insecure attempt to verify this; although one would be forgiven for mistaking this as untrue considering the rather worrying republican sentiment in this country: suffice it to say i think it's less republican and more dissatisfaction with those in power (MPs) and a confusion over precisely the role of our Monarch.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous because someone shouldn't be forced to swear allegiance to a country just because they were born there.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but that's not so much a ridiculous sentiment as a clear philisophical agreement of any right minded person.

The ridiculous notion is to try and prove or make tangible a sort of national mood and sentiment as though we're in fear of loosing it.

Part of what makes Britian great is the confidence we have in our place and position and awareness of the privilege that it is to be British. America being such a recent invention perhaps feels a little unsure of its place and requires national salutes to the flags; Britishmen, one hopes, see instinctively that Queen and Country are integral and part of our very fabric.

Admittedly this is not (always) the case and the way to rectify it is to make people proud once again of Britain (one way of achieving that is if MPs did not urinate all over their tax payers).

ReputationRep:
    Britishmen
    Er... Britons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Er... Britons?
    Oh for Heaven's... you know perfectly well what I mean, and yet you're being pedantic clearly for the sake of argument.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for Heaven's... you know perfectly well what I mean, and yet you're being pedantic clearly for the sake of argument.
    I wasn't aware we were particularly arguing about anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I wasn't aware we were particularly arguing about anything.
    Well, why don't you explain a point you never fully expounded upon earlier.

I agree with you that Her Majesty swears an oath to protect and serve her loyal subjects, but how do you see her as being able to fulfill this duty when power resides with the Government of the day.

This is especially so when constantly we're seeing the Upper House's power undermined and seemingly transformed into a second Commons.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Yes. We are a constitutional monarchy, and should pledge allegiance to our Queen 100%.

ReputationRep:
    Does she really, though?

Do you honestly think she could refuse Royal Ascent, all in the name of protecting her Subjects, without causing a sort of political row that would end in her abolition?

Tell me how she really serves her people.

I'm a Monarchist, but I don't delude myself.
    Depends whether the Army is on the side of the Queen or the Prime Minster in said hypothetical row.

Look at Turkey; if the Armed Forces and the Queen believed the Prime Minster was threatening Britain's way of life, the Queen would stand and the government would fall.

(Original post by Have Your Say)
    Would citizenship ceremonies improve young people's idea of what it means to be British? Should they become part of leaving school? Would you like to take part in a citizenship ceremony?
    And what if a teenager refused to swear allegiance to the queen or to take part in a citizenship ceremony?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.