Turn on thread page Beta

english lit paper 2 tips that i'd like to pass on watch

Announcements

so my english teacher told us some stuff and he is an english examiner too so.... just passing this on for those who didn't do anything at all in case it may help.

he said to us that last year's exam contained bayonet charge and conflict so this year bayonet charge won't come up and we'll be doing power.

the theme of power could be either power of man or power of nature and he told us to look at these since they may come up, and if one of them does these all can be compared in multiple ways:
    extract from the prelude(power of nature), storm on the island(power of nature), ozymandias(power of man), my last duchess(power of man+nature, aka nature = time/transcience), remains(power of man), poppies(power of man) and exposure(power of nature).

what i recommend is to watch some mrbruff whilst looking over your notes for the poems or just go onto genius (lyrics site) and type in the name of the poem, people have some interesting and good annotations you can steal and use in your exam answer haha.

for animal farm, he told us last year snowball was the main character that came us with the theme of leadership.

he also said that either napoleon/boxer/squealer might come up with the theme of power/corruption so i suggest watching mrbruff and googling the main events of each chapter.

*p.s remember to talk about structure and both poems in power and conflict because these are the keys to getting a band 4/3 response, aka a higher response. your analysis doesnt have to be 50/50, it can be 20/80 or 80/20 etc. you just need to address both poems.

hope this helped and stuff, good luck :')

ReputationRep:
    Why today LUL
    Thanks tho, I only chose to study 4 poems and pray. Exposure, Kamikaze War Photographer and Remains.

(Original post by f_spanish)
    Why today LUL
    Thanks tho, I only chose to study 4 poems and pray. Exposure, Kamikaze War Photographer and Remains.
    he legit told us third lesson, and then he left after that in period 4 even tho we had a double :'))

if i knew earlier i wouldve posted it OTL

ReputationRep:
    thats peak. I havent done any revision for inspector calls quotes but I know the story and might add some waffle and bs. Im praying for something nice tmrw. GL

ReputationRep:
    can you compare my last duchess to London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ1NS)
    so my english teacher told us some stuff and he is an english examiner too so.... just passing this on for those who didn't do anything at all in case it may help.

he said to us that last year's exam contained bayonet charge and conflict so this year bayonet charge won't come up and we'll be doing power.

the theme of power could be either power of man or power of nature and he told us to look at these since they may come up, and if one of them does these all can be compared in multiple ways:
    extract from the prelude(power of nature), storm on the island(power of nature), ozymandias(power of man), my last duchess(power of man+nature, aka nature = time/transcience), remains(power of man), poppies(power of man) and exposure(power of nature).

what i recommend is to watch some mrbruff whilst looking over your notes for the poems or just go onto genius (lyrics site) and type in the name of the poem, people have some interesting and good annotations you can steal and use in your exam answer haha.

for animal farm, he told us last year snowball was the main character that came us with the theme of leadership.

he also said that either napoleon/boxer/squealer might come up with the theme of power/corruption so i suggest watching mrbruff and googling the main events of each chapter.

*p.s remember to talk about structure and both poems in power and conflict because these are the keys to getting a band 4/3 response, aka a higher response. your analysis doesnt have to be 50/50, it can be 20/80 or 80/20 etc. you just need to address both poems.

hope this helped and stuff, good luck :'
    thx.. which poems are most likely to come up

thats peak. I havent done any revision for inspector calls quotes but I know the story and might add some waffle and bs. Im praying for something nice tmrw. GL
    just make up some quotes that dont sound out of character or stupid and you should be fine, examiners usually only double check quotes if they sound weird :/
    gn and gl :'

(Original post by GeorgeLynch365)
    can you compare my last duchess to London
    yes: both poems talk about oppression
    london: oppression of lower class, can be also linked to oppression of women, power of upper/high class, blake also thought that church was run by the corrupt rich priests and monks('blackening church appalls'), talk about upper class as well with the quote of 'blood' running down palace walls !
    my last duchessppression of duke's wife/women,power of upper class(duke), corruption/power('i gave commands' or 'my gift of a nine hundred year old name with anybodys' ' i think thats the quote,) , you can also talk about the statue of neptune taming the sea horse which is a symbol for him taming his wife :'

(Original post by malkimoo)
    thx.. which poems are most likely to come up
    the ones i mentioned above; prelude,soti,ozymandias,mld,rema ins,poppies,exposure.
    however i feel like storm on the island/my last duchess/poppies may be less likely because some lower ability students wouldnt understand them and they need a poem like ozymandias or exposure which all students can analyse and udnerstand

ReputationRep:
    how did u find maths if u did edexcel higher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ1NS)
    the ones i mentioned above; prelude,soti,ozymandias,mld,rema ins,poppies,exposure.
    however i feel like storm on the island/my last duchess/poppies may be less likely because some lower ability students wouldnt understand them and they need a poem like ozymandias or exposure which all students can analyse and udnerstand
    thats when emigree pops up and its about personal identity :/

how did u find maths if u did edexcel higher?
    i did aqa foundation :'(
    and i thought that was easy as hell, everything that we got was on a predicted paper some examiners put out the day before the exam :'

(Original post by 21313123123)
    thats when emigree pops up and its about personal identity :/
    even if emigree pops up, which i doubt it will, you can still just analyse one quote and link it to checking out me history or maybe the prelude because the prelude is an autobiography :'0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ1NS)
    yes: both poems talk about oppression
    london: oppression of lower class, can be also linked to oppression of women, power of upper/high class, blake also thought that church was run by the corrupt rich priests and monks('blackening church appalls', talk about upper class as well with the quote of 'blood' running down palace walls !
    my last duchessppression of duke's wife/women,power of upper class(duke), corruption/power('i gave commands' or 'my gift of a nine hundred year old name with anybodys' ' i think thats the quote,) , you can also talk about the statue of neptune taming the sea horse which is a symbol for him taming his wife :'
    thanks

(Original post by GeorgeLynch365)
    thanks
    np, happy to help ! :0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ1NS)
    is there any chance of kamikaze/checkoutmehistory/emigree?

ReputationRep:
    how can i compare kamikaze and emigree

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean by link ? That’s what most people say gets you into the top grade boundaries but idk whether it means link back to the question or link the 2 poems you’re comparing ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

i hope this actually helped for today's exams uh, it was a bit obvious that maybe ozymandias will come up, and at least i got the theme being power right :'

ReputationRep:
    Did My last duchess and i am happy af rn.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.