Are my grades sufficiently good enough for a good University like a top 10?

Watch
davidallen108
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In my GCSEs I got:

English - D
Maths - B
Biology - E
Chemistry -A*
Physics - A*
Art - D
Geography - B
History - C
Music - A*
French - F
Dance - A*

Thanks
Name Name123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If your AS grades and A level Predicted grades are good enough, then yes.

You may be called up on your English grade though.
Reversed Flash
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Alright but whats with all the inconsistencies... Clearly you had the potential to get higher??
davidallen108
Rep:
?
(Original post by Name Name123)
If your AS grades and A level Predicted grades are good enough, then yes.

You may be called up on your English grade though.
A dinna like I’m thinking of a btec jus a cosy life whilst getting the dole too with a side job, do a need a levels for Oxford and that?
username1973239
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by davidallen108)
In my GCSEs I got:

English - D
Maths - B
Biology - E
Chemistry -A*
Physics - A*
Art - D
Geography - B
History - C
Music - A*
French - F
Dance - A*

Thanks
It depends on the course that you're planning on doing at uni, A level predictions etc. Tbh, Also, what do you mean by top 10 (are you talking about the complete uni guide rankings? QS world rankings?)
davidallen108
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reversed Flash)
Alright but whats with all the inconsistencies... Clearly you had the potential to get higher??
I could not have smoked any more weed like
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Soooo where's your compulsory religious studies?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
are you retaking english? i thought all unis needed you to pass maths and english (though i may be missing something here)
RhynieChert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A dinna like I’m thinking of a btec jus a cosy life whilst getting the dole too with a side job, do a need a levels for Oxford and that?
a levels certainly for Oxford, although most Russell groups allow a mixture of btec and a level or just btec as long as it's the right sort of btec and in a relevant subject, tbh I'd recommend just taking a levels especially if you're thinking you want to apply to oxbridge, you may also need to resit English GCSE.

what subjects are you thinking of for a level/uni?
davidallen108
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomTomSatNavv)
It depends on the course that you're planning on doing at uni, A level predictions etc. Tbh, Also, what do you mean by top 10 (are you talking about the complete uni guide rankings? QS world rankings?)
I want to do Medicine
davidallen108
Rep:
?
(Original post by aesthete1)
a levels certainly for Oxford, although most Russell groups allow a mixture of btec and a level or just btec as long as it's the right sort of btec and in a relevant subject, tbh I'd recommend just taking a levels especially if you're thinking you want to apply to oxbridge, you may also need to resit English GCSE.

what subjects are you thinking of for a level/uni?
A levels: only Dance
username1973239
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I want to do Medicine
Most medical schools (I think) require at least a B for GCSE English.
Nina898
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends what course you're doing and which subjects would be relevant for the university you're applying but honestly the grades seems quite inconsistent-it's not very clear what your average level is etc. There are large slip ups on Biology, english, art and french which could affect your choice but if you proceed to A-levels and get consitently high grades I don't think you'll get pulled up on it as much. Definitely for unis like oxbridge, they're very prestigious so consistent high grades would look very good for applying and increase your chance. I don't know for sure about your chances of getting into prestigious unis due to your grades and how strict some unis are with grades.
davidallen108
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomTomSatNavv)
Most medical schools (I think) require at least a B for GCSE English.
I got a B in the mock though.
davidallen108
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nina898)
It depends what course you're doing and which subjects would be relevant for the university your applying but honestly the grades seems quite inconsistent-it's not very clear what your average level is etc. There are large slip ups on Biology, english, art and french which could affect your choice but if you proceed to A-levels and get consitently high grades I don't think you'll get pulled up on it as much. Definitely for unis like oxbridge, they're very prestigious so consistent high grades would look very good for applying and increase your chance. I don't know for sure about your chances of getting into prestigious unis due to your grades and how strict some unis are with grades.
What if I promise them il try my absolute best and hardest and will not mess around
username3467548
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you already started your a levels then if so what subjects and are your a levels linear then where you take the exams that actually count at the end now or has this new change not affected you, as you don’t say what you currently are doing it’s confusing for other people
Harriso1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
• English - You should re-sit English Language definitely. All universities want a C grade as far as I'm aware for most courses, Russell Group universities and other top 20 universities will want a B. Organise it with your college or apply to re-sit at another school with the exam board. Oxford & Cambridge aren't going to happen I'm afraid but other 'top 10' universities will be accessible.
• Maths - This will be okay for humanities subjects. If you want to study Medicine or a course with mathematics integrated maybe re-sit to show your ability for the sake of it. A 'B' grade is okay for most uni's. You'll still be to get into almost all RG universities, although Imperial, LSE look at GCSE grades quite a bit now.
• Biology - You should really try and re-sit this I'm afraid.
• Chemistry - Well done, this shows your potential.
• Physics - 10/10.
• Art - Not an essential subject (unless you want to do anything artish?) Just looks poor, a re-sit would be a massive amount of work.
• Geography - Good.
• History - Okay. (Unless you want to study History, take History A-level and boss it).
• Music - Nice.
• French - Lol re-sit.
• Dance - Lmao.
Harriso1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=Harriso1;77851990]• English - You should re-sit English Language definitely. All universities want a C grade as far as I'm aware for most courses, Russell Group universities and other top 20 universities will want a B. Organise it with your college or apply to re-sit at another school with the exam board. Oxford & Cambridge aren't going to happen I'm afraid but other 'top 10' universities will be accessible.
• Maths - This will be okay for humanities subjects. If you want to study Medicine or a course with mathematics integrated maybe re-sit to show your ability for the sake of it. A 'B' grade is okay for most uni's. You'll still be to get into almost all RG universities, although Imperial, LSE look at GCSE grades quite a bit now.
• Biology - You should really try and re-sit this I'm afraid.
• Chemistry - Well done, this shows your potential.
• Physics - 10/10.
• Art - Not an essential subject (unless you want to do anything artish?) Just looks poor, a re-sit would be a massive amount of work.
• Geography - Good.
• History - Okay. (Unless you want to study History, take History A-level and boss it).
• Music - Nice.
• French - Lol re-sit.
• Dance - Lmao.[/
In my GCSEs I got:

English - D
Maths - B
Biology - E
Chemistry -A*
Physics - A*
Art - D
Geography - B
History - C
Music - A*
French - F
Dance - A*

Thanks
Just read you want to do medicine:

• English - re-sit.
• Maths - re-sit.
• Biology - re-sit.
• French - re-sit.
davidallen108
Rep:
?
(Original post by elle.lx)
Have you already started your a levels then if so what subjects and are your a levels linear then where you take the exams that actually count at the end now or has this new change not affected you, as you don’t say what you currently are doing it’s confusing for other people
I am doing Dance in A Levels nothing else.

It’s not linear

Thanks
davidallen108
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
Right you do realise that to have a chance of studying medicine (without entering at foundation level) as a school leaver, you need to have at least one of chemistry or biology A-level, or ideally both of them?
Can I get away with it, I don’t like science and that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed