English Literature - A Level Watch

TheSombreSeer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I have a GCSE English Literature exam tomorrow and it is the second paper for the whole subject/qualification which is 60%. As you can probably tell, I'm hardly prepared for this exam as I am on TSR posting about this issue: I haven't had the time to cover all 15 poems and 7 short stories completely due to having college assignments to complete with strict deadlines and other "essential" classroom work (Yes, I am towards the end of my first year at college and previously achieved a grade C/4 for English Literature at GCSE level. However, I want to achieve a higher grade as I want to study English Literature at A Level).

For the other half of English Literature, I can say that I know about 4 poems inside and out but the rest are just a blur. On the other hand, regarding the short stories, I only have general knowledge of them which I know will not suffice to guarantee a decent grade as so much more is needed to be remembered not only just the meanings and the quotes (honestly I would be surprised to achieve a pass in it AGAIN).

Now, there is this other college that I would like to apply for and attend after this upcoming summer in which I want to study different subjects as opposed to the courses that I am currently studying in the college that I am attending now. But, for English Literature A Level a minimum grade 5 (which is a B/C grade) is required and I know that I most likely won't achieve this grade tomorrow with the knowledge that I have right now so, would it be possible to sit GCSE English Literature sometime in November (gives me roughly 5 months from now until then to buckle down and study the content inside and out - and upon completion, will receive my grade in early January)?

Originally, I wanted to apply for two combinations of a bunch of A Level subjects listed below:
OPTION 1: English Language, English Literature & Psychology
OR
OPTION 2: English Language, English Literature, History (and MAYBE Law A Level too)

(These courses aren't subject to change but the options are.)

The first term for A Levels begins on 14th September 2018 and with my resit, I will receive my result sometime early January 2019 which means that I will not be able to apply for English Literature with a reformed grade during the application process for college and if I do happen to pick up English Literature after I receive my new grade, I will miss out on 4 months of A Level content for English Literature. And, I do not want to spend another year waiting to study only ONE A Level. (Perhaps I could fast-track the subject but this will have to be discussed with the college.)

I honestly don't know what to do and I'm beginning to have really pessimistic thoughts about education which is quite demoralising to the point that I want to actually want to jump off of a cliff. I need help.
elle.lx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Right, I’d say get your sleep and wake up a little earlier the exam starts at 9am right so you can revise before then and transport on the way to exam school/ college, wish you all the best remember to breathe and stay calm be better if you act like it’s going good in the exam for me it’s always leading up to the exam which is worse than doing it cause as you are doing the exam you feel on fire and just want it to be over so you answer the questions to the best of your capability hope you get that 5 and one of them poems come up, best wishes Elle
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
elle.lx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’d love to do English Language and Law too but hey that may change it has definitely with maths I’m sure
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TheSombreSeer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I couldn't be more chipper with your instantaneous reply and for those words of wisdom so I thank you! I received an A for English Literature GCSE and am surprised as to how I achieved this grade as I had a gut feeling that with how the last examination went I'd barely be scraping a B grade. As for what is currently taking place in the now, I am taking up these three A Levels as my final selection; English Literature, History and Law and am not prepared for them as experienced students that have previously taken these subjects have given me an insight and I'm pretty sure that I'll be heading into the deep end by next August 2019.
Last edited by TheSombreSeer; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
14.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10.05%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.64%

Watched Threads