The Student Room Group

driving teat fail, too slow round a roundabout

right so failed my driving test today for going 'too slowly' round a roundabout and being undertaken by a taxi driver.
I wasnt going ridiculous slow, and was more then 13mph. surley it's obscene to encourage someone to go faster round a roundabout. or is it just me being salty
Maybe the examinator failed you because he didn't feel like you are ready yet. He might have used this as an 'excuse' because you didn't make other real mistakes.
Reply 2
maybe although he said to rebook it as soon as I got home. and try and get one in 10 days time
Reply 3
Original post by Jamie758
right so failed my driving test today for going 'too slowly' round a roundabout and being undertaken by a taxi driver.
I wasnt going ridiculous slow, and was more then 13mph. surley it's obscene to encourage someone to go faster round a roundabout. or is it just me being salty

If they said you were going too slowly around the roundabout, you were going to slowly around the roundabout. Don't drive ridiculously slowly around a roundabout in future.
Reply 4
i was going at 20mph. surley u don't want to be going to fast
Reply 5
i was going at 20mph. surley u don't want to be going to fast

You said in your OP "more than 13mph" which was a very specific number, which implied to me sub 20mph.

Roundabout and conditions dependant, you can safely negotiate it at close to the speed limit. Clearly the examiner thought so too.
Depends on the size of the roundabout. If it was a mini roundabout or a smallish tight one then 13mph will be fine. If it was a big roundabout then clearly you were expected to go around it at 20, maybe more.
Reply 7
Take the roundabout in 4th gear next time and see what they say then :d
Reply 8
Original post by JME1993
Take the roundabout in 4th gear next time and see what they say then :d

if I get the same examiner, it will be so tempting to do that. I guess your not going fast enough unless your drifting 😂
Reply 9
@IWMTom and @xEmilyxx are correct. Use judgement as every situation is different and there is no "one size fits all" approach to every roundabout.

if I get the same examiner, it will be so tempting to do that. I guess your not going fast enough unless your drifting 😂
By all means consider a higher speed and gear on the same roundabout if conditions allow, but what if you come to a smaller, tighter roundabout? Use your judgement each time. If you are being overtaken on the left by other drivers / cyclists / mobility scooters, then something's wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending