Turn on thread page Beta

HUGE Mosquito/bug bites watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i spent alot of time on the field nowadays as i practice softball...yesterday i got a bugbite (i think it was mosquitos), i scratched it abit but it was fine yesterday (normal sized), today afternoon i changed into my shorts and found that the particular bite has grown to the size of a coke can crosssection (looks like a second knee). I've had bites that grew bigger to about the size of a bottle cap...but this one is just HUGE.

It's really quite scary...anyone has a similar experience with something like this?

Yep. Had one on my knee... went down after a while. I don't think it's a mozzy bite though... I doubted it being one for me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I have. They were horsefly bites.

(Original post by The Solitary Reaper)
    I have. They were horsefly bites.
    Wikipedia tells me that must have been pretty painful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Wikipedia tells me that must have been pretty painful...
    It was at a rave (a proper rave) in some woods... I wasn't conscious enough to feel it, but they were bulbous and sore afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    I had a really nasty spider bite three years ago in India - was really painful!

ReputationRep:
    Is there a way to make it go away quicker? I've got tournament in a few days and i don't wanna be standing there scratching = =

ReputationRep:
    It could be infected, if it's that huge. It might be worthwhile going along to the doctor's, to see if there's anything they can do for you. In the meantime, you could try some anti-histamine cream, that should make it a bit less itchy (not sure if you can use these on broken skin though, check before you do as you could make it worse).

ReputationRep:
    Antihistamines are your best bet.

Also, try bathing the area in an alkaline as this can help to break down the anticoagulants/toxins injected during the blood feed, helping to reduce inflammation. The only problem is that it has to be done pretty soon after when its still fresh and open (you can get bite sticks from the pharmacy containing very mild ammonia, otherwise a bicarbonate of soda solution is pretty good apparently).

As for the mosquito or horse fly argument it could be either or something completely different entirely (could be a tick, flea or mite bite). I have had very severe reactions to mozzie bits before and i have had very mild reactions to horse fly bites. It all depends on the type of insect, your immune response, whether you've been exposed before, etc.

yep had loads like that. go to your pharmasist see wht you can get

ReputationRep:
    You're scaring me man, i'm going to India tomorrow and will be in Thailand in 3-4 weeks. No mentions of spiders and bites til i return please :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2008
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.