The Student Room Group

How to get fit without the gym

Hello!

So I really want to get fit and in shape. I'm going to start a good diet that a friend has been using and worked really well for her so the eating side of things is fine.
BUT I want to lose a bit of weight and get more toned (not bulk up, just get a bit tighter etc.) I can't afford a gym membership, and I would feel super self-conscious using a gym anyways, so I'm looking for some help and advice on how to lose weight and tone up at home with some effective exercise that will actually work. I really don't know where to start as I have no clue about exercise and weight loss etc!
I'm 5'9" and weight about 12 stone 3/77.5 kg (male) btw...

Thanks in advance!
Bodyweight training 100%

Get those pullup bars you can hang on your door.
Best thing I would suggest go running but I'm not sure how you would feel about that but if you can go running like in field or even road if you are comfortable let me know and I'll tell you a plan of it.
If not don't worry you don't need to spend any money on anything even on pull up bar etc suggested in abive comment. Just do body weight exercises like pushups, an workout (you can find so many online and you could just search 4/5 different workouts and do them 4/5 different days. The best cardio workout you could do in home is burpees, star jumps, running in place .. maybe do this atleast 5 time or 6 times a week .. take 1 day off but please do eat clean as 70 percent is all about your nutrition and training is only 30 percent.. eat chicken breast, rice,eggs etc etc ... Best cardio workout I would suggest would be running but that depends on if you are comfortable or not .. you could train like athlete just like I do but you could get away with no gym ..
Running is a good way to lose weight. You can do body-weight exercises (crunches, push-ups, mountain climbers) in your own home. If you can afford it, drop £50 on some dumbbells and lift at home as well.

In all honesty, you aren't paying so much for the equipment in a gym - you're paying for the environment. You can buy weights for less than 5-months membership that'll last you for years, and you can train cardio by simply walking and running. It's just a lot easier to motivate yourself to work out when everyone around you is also working out.
calisthenics

and yea OP, like @trapking and them said, bodyweight and cardio is the way forward, just google and watch tutorials, swear down it wrks, that's what I have always done/do
Reply 5
Thanks very much everyone, feeling v motivated 😁🙏
If you have a little money to spare, try Les Mills On Demand. It's about £10 a month with a 10 day free trial to see if you like it. You get all sorts of workouts, including some amazing HIIT workouts and MMA workouts (my favourites), as well as yoga/ pilates style workouts. A lot of them are bodyweight only which makes them ideal for at home (although you can invest in a bar + weights and a band for a bit more variety).
Otherwise, Class FitSugar for Popsugar is great if you want something free (look it up on Facebook). Also look up 'workout like Nina 30 minute Grit Cardio' for (imo) the best free HIIT workout out there.
My advice would be to suggest in fitness Dvd's, they give a more structured workout and stop you from getting distracted.
Reply 8
Sprint training and pullups.

Pullups pressups squats are usually my main source of training when not at the gym, you can do variations of these to work all the muscles too.

E.g. instead of doing squats you can do burpees which is effectively a squat and a pressup at the same time(2 birds with one stone) for the pullups if you're getting more advanced and you're at some monkey bars in a park do a pullup then a tricep dip(be careful with this one though) but essentially all I'm saying is you can do variations on these workouts. Make sure you stretch too.

Quick Reply

Latest