The Student Room Group

Is a room share a bad idea for international fresher?

I’m an international student coming to the UK in September. I just got my hall assignment and I’m a little disappointed. I’ve found a few room shares much closer to my school, for similar prices.

I’m a little older than the average freshman and had not intended to live in the halls for socializing— I just figured it was the safer, more convenient option for international student. Do you think going straight into a room share would pose any problems for me as I get settled in the UK?

Edit: whoops, by room share I mean a room in a shared flat, not a shared bedroom. Thought they were the same :P
(edited 5 years ago)
The only problem of going straight into room shares would be a lack of knowledge of the area and safety. If you're sure , that you can handle both the problems , you should be completely fine.
Although , I'd suggest spending your first year in halls. You might find roommates for the coming years there as well
Original post by Gingeroot
I’m an international student coming to the UK in September. I just got my hall assignment and I’m a little disappointed. I’ve found a few room shares much closer to my school, for similar prices.

I’m a little older than the average freshman and had not intended to live in the halls for socializing— I just figured it was the safer, more convenient option for international student. Do you think going straight into a room share would pose any problems for me as I get settled in the UK?

I am not originaly from UK and while I was living here, I found the culture to be quite different and it took me a while to get used to it (especially that you are older than most freshman). I would say I am also a social person but I could not do a room share. At the end of the day its up to you, but I would suggest to stay in halls for now (especially that you are older) and find someone you are on good terms to share a room in the second year. Even if its further away from uni.

Quick Reply

Latest