The Student Room Group

Muslim boyfriend

Scroll to see replies

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 41
If your a Christian/Jew and he wants to marry you his parents have to agree because its allowed in Islam to marry someone of those religions 100%. If his parents dont agree then there commiting a major sin and you dont need there blessing to continue. It just culturally frowned upon but personally i dont think religion should be mixed with culture .
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Maryam.hannah
Honestly I’m in the exact same boat but I’m a Muslim, with extremely strict parents who are traditional Pakistanis and my boyfriend is white, non Muslim. We have been together for 2 years

Honestly, from my perspective I would leave my family for him, or any man tbh. All my life they have been so controlling over who I see, what I eat, how I dress, how I act. And it’s gotten to the point where I just wanna “rebel” and live my own life, how I wanna live it.

I know they mean well, and i respect my parents so much. I’ve just dealt with how they control me, without really questioning them because I don’t wanna hurt them.

But the time comes where you just gotta let them go. I don’t wanna spend the rest of my life being controlled by my parents, and neither should your boyfriend. He’s an adult, he’s mature enough to make his own life decisions. Is he gonna let his family dictate how he lives his life for the rest of his life? Is he gonna risk marrying a girl of his culture, just to please his family when he actually loves you?

The chances are, I’m sure when you two have kids and settle down his family will come back to him and realise how happy he is. It’s just in the moment they are angry and not very understanding, but time heals things and I’m sure they’d want a relationship with their grandkids in the future

My parents have no idea about my bf. They threw my cousin out because her bf was white and non Muslim, and I know the same will happen to me. But I’m only 17, I’d only introduce him to the family if it was to marry him, and I had a job and could financially support myself

I completely understand your bfs point, as I too hide things from them to please them and just go along with things so I don’t dishonour them. But you can’t spend the rest of your life doing this. I would encourage him to just suggest the idea to his parents like “mum I kinda wanna get married, am I allowed to marry someone outside of our culture” and then gradually get to the introducing stage.

I would never encourage him to be horrible to his parents and swear at them, he should be civilised and mature in his approach

Good luck honestly I really feel your pain, and his. I understand both sides and honestly its so difficult.

I was absolutely scared of telling family obviously it didn’t go down too well but at the end of the day I don’t think I would’ve been happy with anyone else. I knew I’d made the right choice and I stuck by it. One of my wife’s brothers really hated me and said a lot of nasty things to me and I mean nasty and racist believe it or not we get on great now. In the beginning it’s hard and you have all sorts go in your mind. At one point I felt like my life wasn’t worth living.
This is what I did one night after a massive row I was in my bedroom and I thought that’s it. I called my girlfriend and said it’s now or never and she wa alike we can’t we need somewhere to live blah blah.
I packed a bag walked by my parents bedroom door and opened it slowly and took a quick look in the room with my parents asleep and honestly thought this was the last time I will see them. I walked out in tears and taht was it.
We stayed with friends here and there and after a few months we were able to get a place to rent.
I saw my parents a couple of times in shops but they ignored me. That really hurts and a few years later after our first child was born I got a text from my sister asking if we can comeback over and the rest is history.
Just be brave and if your boy/girlfriend are genuinely in love with you then you can make a future together and in time I’m sure your families can come together. Wish you all the best
Do any of the Muslims posting here actually care about their religion or are you just cultural Muslims?
Original post by Anonymous
Lol. Well I know he’s not using me. Are you Muslim btw?

I am Muslim, yes.
Been with my boyfriend of 3 years he’s Muslim and I’m white british. I’m a secret from everybody he knows.He’s terrified of telling his parents. I can’t help but wonder that if I was Muslim we’d be married By now. Shall I push him to tell them or leave it up to him?

Stacy what have i told you about putting out our business and airing our dirty laundry on here 😡
I'll be honest with you. South Asian parents are very backwards and stubborn. Although it is not prohibited in Islam for a Muslim guy to marry a non-Muslim woman, South Asian culture is usually very against it. I feel sorry for both of you and it's nice to see you being understanding of the situation he is in. That's not to say you can't be together but it will be a difficult experience if/when he finally does tell the truth to his family. You need to talk to each other and work out the best possible way to go about this. No one should have to be in this position but unfortunately that's South Asian culture for you.
Original post by Ash5896
I was absolutely scared of telling family obviously it didn’t go down too well but at the end of the day I don’t think I would’ve been happy with anyone else. I knew I’d made the right choice and I stuck by it. One of my wife’s brothers really hated me and said a lot of nasty things to me and I mean nasty and racist believe it or not we get on great now. In the beginning it’s hard and you have all sorts go in your mind. At one point I felt like my life wasn’t worth living.
This is what I did one night after a massive row I was in my bedroom and I thought that’s it. I called my girlfriend and said it’s now or never and she wa alike we can’t we need somewhere to live blah blah.
I packed a bag walked by my parents bedroom door and opened it slowly and took a quick look in the room with my parents asleep and honestly thought this was the last time I will see them. I walked out in tears and taht was it.
We stayed with friends here and there and after a few months we were able to get a place to rent.
I saw my parents a couple of times in shops but they ignored me. That really hurts and a few years later after our first child was born I got a text from my sister asking if we can comeback over and the rest is history.
Just be brave and if your boy/girlfriend are genuinely in love with you then you can make a future together and in time I’m sure your families can come together. Wish you all the best

Good on you mate I'm glad to hear you are happy with the partner you truly love now. It's just a shame that you even had to go through all that in the first place just because the person you love isn't a Muslim but things worked out in the end.
In Islam a man can marry a non Muslim woman so you can tell him to tell his family that. There’s no reason for his family to not accept you as long as you’re not an awful or troublesome person. If they’re not accepting you it’s Probobaly to do with cultural stuff where some cultures people don’t like marrying outside their own race, or even their own caste within their race. These rings happen. But do remind him that marrying a non Muslim is allowed so you would not need to convert unless you want too, anyone saying you need to is just trying to scare you off
I know I’m kidding myself to be honest. I’ll never be accepted but I’m an optimist so there’s a small part of me that’s got hope. I just cherish everyday I have with him. I love him too much to come between him and his family. And I would walk away so he didn’t have to choose. He really has changed my life for the better and I’m so glad I’m with him now. It’s not that I don’t want to fight for him I do but if you love someone that much you’ll let them go. He really is a special person and I will always love him no matter who I’m with. But I doubt I’ll ever love someone as much as I love him. It’s strange how people change your life. I can’t explain it but he’s the type of person you look forward to seeing everyday even if it’s for a moment. If we were together a life time I could never get bored of his stories. I wish I could tell him much I appreciate him. And as weird as it sounds I would love his family as much as I love him cos there apart of him. I’m being very sentimental today lol. Also I’ve gotta say I’d make a bloody good wife. I get sad cos I know we would have a wonder life together 😢
Reply 51
I know I’m kidding myself to be honest. I’ll never be accepted but I’m an optimist so there’s a small part of me that’s got hope. I just cherish everyday I have with him. I love him too much to come between him and his family. And I would walk away so he didn’t have to choose. He really has changed my life for the better and I’m so glad I’m with him now. It’s not that I don’t want to fight for him I do but if you love someone that much you’ll let them go. He really is a special person and I will always love him no matter who I’m with. But I doubt I’ll ever love someone as much as I love him. It’s strange how people change your life. I can’t explain it but he’s the type of person you look forward to seeing everyday even if it’s for a moment. If we were together a life time I could never get bored of his stories. I wish I could tell him much I appreciate him. And as weird as it sounds I would love his family as much as I love him cos there apart of him. I’m being very sentimental today lol. Also I’ve gotta say I’d make a bloody good wife. I get sad cos I know we would have a wonder life together 😢

Don’t give up honestly. I thought about it many times and I think I would’ve lived with regret all my life. Follow your heart and I’m sure if he loves you genuinely you’ll be fine. It’s not easy and believe me I know but it’ll be worth it in the end
In Islam a man can marry a non Muslim woman so you can tell him to tell his family that. There’s no reason for his family to not accept you as long as you’re not an awful or troublesome person. If they’re not accepting you it’s Probobaly to do with cultural stuff where some cultures people don’t like marrying outside their own race, or even their own caste within their race. These rings happen. But do remind him that marrying a non Muslim is allowed so you would not need to convert unless you want too, anyone saying you need to is just trying to scare you off

It is only allowed if she is chaste i.e. does not have sex outside of marriage, even if the only guy she has had sex with is him. If they have had sex then it is prohibited
Been with my boyfriend of 3 years he’s Muslim and I’m white british. I’m a secret from everybody he knows.He’s terrified of telling his parents. I can’t help but wonder that if I was Muslim we’d be married By now. Shall I push him to tell them or leave it up to him?

You just want his money lol or else why would you want to marry into a muslim family?! You have nothing in common, you white people are allowed to sleep over with your boyfriend from the age of 16, you eat pork and you only wipe after doing a number two (we muslims wash with soap and water).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Zamestaneh
It is only allowed if she is chaste i.e. does not have sex outside of marriage, even if the only guy she has had sex with is him. If they have had sex then it is prohibited

Could you point me to where it says this
You just want his money lol or else why would you want to marry into a muslim family?! You have nothing in common, you white people are allowed to sleep over with your boyfriend from the age of 16, you eat pork and you only wipe after doing a number two (we muslims wash with soap and water).

Seems like you’re just bitter that you don’t have what OP has. I hate Muslims that are like this, a true Muslim isn’t horrible and judgemental, they’re kind and supportive, and if this girl was even thinking of converting for her partner do you think your comment would be persuading her too or deterring her. You’re the type of person that makes people hate islam.

Secrets don't usually last that long, I'm surprised you're still together.

Either way, you can ask him to tell them, but you need to be ready for a negative result. If it were me, I wouldn't waste time for being his secret because if he is financially or emotionally dependant on his parents, the truth is them finding out would dissolve your relationship. It may be sooner rather than later.

You can only keep a secret on for so long. If you want to be truly happy, its best to stop living in fear of them finding out. Either way eventually it is going to have to be said. You two may just be delaying the inevitable.

Only you can know if he will stay with you even if his parents disagree. But maybe its not such a good love after all if he will break up with you? I know its harsh reality at first but you can still be friends and push for your relationship.

I'm sure you will do great as Juliet if it comes to it. Head up and stay strong. Some things are worth fighting for, you two be the judges of that.

Edit: If you want to be prepared for him telling them, maybe you should show them you truly care about him. Learning some Arabic (I think?) or some history and culture of the place he is from, may bring you closer to him and his parents. You don't have to become Muslim, you can show you'd be a good person for him to be with in many ways. Most people are not able to ignore good people if they are good themselves.
(edited 5 years ago)
Seems like you’re just bitter that you don’t have what OP has. I hate Muslims that are like this, a true Muslim isn’t horrible and judgemental, they’re kind and supportive, and if this girl was even thinking of converting for her partner do you think your comment would be persuading her too or deterring her. You’re the type of person that makes people hate islam.

Me envious of an average overweight british girl? Try harder next time. By the way I am not muslim (just born into a muslim family). I didnt say anything wrong, muslims and non muslims are very different people.
Could you point me to where it says this

It is in the same verse in the Quran which permits marriage to Christian and Jewish women:

''This day [all] good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers.'' [5:5]

If she has had sex outside of marriage/had sex with him, she is not 'chaste' and therefore is disqualified as a potential spouse according to the criteria of the verse.
Note that being BF/GF in secret further shows that that marriage is not permissible.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending