Sorryidontgetit
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I don’t know whether I should do computer science as I feel too stupid for it? I’m good at maths and science , but from what I know pretty much everyone doing it that I know is like an expert in coding whereas I don’t understand a lot of it at all. Also our computer science teacher is genuinely rubbish
eKAMMJOT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i wise decision would be to lose your virginity before making this "life changing decision"
hawkinheavens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do computer science and I am not the best programmer per say, but I still enjoy the theory side of it. If you like the theory aspect, go for it. If you don't understand programming but don't want to pick it, try stuff like codecademy or sololearn(They're free!!). Computer science is all about how computers and networks work which could link into other career paths, like Software engineering (which I wanted to do, but I stopped liking programming). Also, if your teacher is bad, then I guess you should stay away from it or study by yourself if you were to pick it? idk what to say about the teacher bit
fbkt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Take it from me, all computer science teacher are ****. You will never have a good computer science teacher no matter who they are or what school you go to.

It's a great option, I loved it and thoroughly enjoyed it , I'm also going on to do A-Levels in the subject. But it's really down to how much you like the subject. Do you love computing because you play video games and know about computers, or have created a hobby on the computer? Are you just fascinated but how computers work? Then I would say go for it. As long as you learn the ins and outs of theory in the next 2 years (which is a lot easier than you'd think, I got through it in 1 night) and properly understand how it works (I would recommend having a desktop computer as that usually is the reason why a lot of students understand it well), then you'll be all fine. And don't let algorithms and Unit 2 scare you, as soon as you understand the basics then it becomes a lot easier than it seems .
hawkinheavens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by GCSEPleaseNo)
Take it from me, all computer science teacher are ****. You will never have a good computer science teacher no matter who they are or what school you go to.

It's a great option, I loved it and thoroughly enjoyed it , I'm also going on to do A-Levels in the subject. But it's really down to how much you like the subject. Do you love computing because you play video games and know about computers, or have created a hobby on the computer? Are you just fascinated but how computers work? Then I would say go for it. As long as you learn the ins and outs of theory in the next 2 years (which is a lot easier than you'd think, I got through it in 1 night) and properly understand how it works (I would recommend having a desktop computer as that usually is the reason why a lot of students understand it well), then you'll be all fine. And don't let algorithms and Unit 2 scare you, as soon as you understand the basics then it becomes a lot easier than it seems .
he's definitely right, the theory is easy, went through it in about 2 days :congrats:
Sorryidontgetit
Rep:
?
(Original post by eKAMMJOT)
i wise decision would be to lose your virginity before making this "life changing decision"
Yeah no thanks
Sorryidontgetit
Rep:
?
(Original post by hawkinheavens)
I do computer science and I am not the best programmer per say, but I still enjoy the theory side of it. If you like the theory aspect, go for it. If you don't understand programming but don't want to pick it, try stuff like codecademy or sololearn(They're free!!). Computer science is all about how computers and networks work which could link into other career paths, like Software engineering (which I wanted to do, but I stopped liking programming). Also, if your teacher is bad, then I guess you should stay away from it or study by yourself if you were to pick it? idk what to say about the teacher bit

Thanks that really helped
Sorryidontgetit
Rep:
?
(Original post by GCSEPleaseNo)

Okay thanks for the advice! At least I know I’m not alone when it comes terrible teachers 🙄
username2870402
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you are good at memorizing random-ass facts like whether RAM or ROM is volatile, or which network topology has a hub in the middle, then the theory (paper 1 exam) side will be easy. Paper 2 is more of a thought-process; you are sort of given a story (ours was about a post office company) and throughout you spot and fix little errors that increase efficiency (For example, we had to create a pseudocode that organized boxes dependent on their weight, we had to do error checks on already existing programs etc). Paper 2 was just a test of how I think for me - there was little knowledge answering questions, just questions that assessed my skills like decomposition and abstraction.

Basically, if you think you will enjoy it - take it. It will be easier to revise for something you like, but it's hard to revise for paper 2 since it's just about thought processes.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All Computer Science courses are designed to be accessible to complete amateurs, up until Masters degree level, so you dont need to worry about not being an "expert coder".

Indeed it is one of the easiest things to get into at any level due to the wealth of information available on the internet and the constant urgent demand to get more people across the stack.

Its worth studying because even if you dont want a career as a programmer there are now tonnes of other jobs in the industry which pay super well but rely on you not getting lost in a basic conversation with a programmer.

Do it. Everyone should.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads