Turn on thread page Beta

A Level Edexcel English Literature 2018 Exam predictions watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for essay titles?
    In Drama I am studying King Lear and A Streetcar Named Desire.
    In Prose I am studying The Little Stranger and The Picture of Dorian Gray.
    And in Poetry I am studying the Wife of Bath's Prologue and Tale

It would be nice to see what ideas everyone has in order to continue making essay plans! )

ReputationRep:
    I study streetcar as well- have a feeling fate/fear might come up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azuretypo)
    I study streetcar as well- have a feeling fate/fear might come up...
    Thanks for replying, yeah that's a shout, I think it may be Stella, Mitch or the theme of loneliness...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treasure11)
    Thanks for replying, yeah that's a shout, I think it may be Stella, Mitch or the theme of loneliness...
    Mitch and stella have come up before, but yh loneliness might

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azuretypo)
    Mitch and stella have come up before, but yh loneliness might
    I don't think Stella has, not in the new spec anyway. What other texts are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Stella has, not in the new spec anyway. What other texts are you studying?
    oh thought it came up on as spec paper
    Studying Hamlet, Heart of Darkness/ Passage to India, and poetry I'm doing Keats

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what came up in the English lit AS exam for Edexcel? Maybe that could give us a guide as to what to predict?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaynab1505)
    Does anyone know what came up in the English lit AS exam for Edexcel? Maybe that could give us a guide as to what to predict?
    Yes, that's a good idea! I don't know how I'll be able to find them out as the AS students at my college do OCR

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's a good idea! I don't know how I'll be able to find them out as the AS students at my college do OCR
    I tried to find something on TSR but I couldn't find any discussion. Also, how are you finding Wife of Bath, I do it too. I don't really mind it, but if the questions are horrible then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaynab1505)
    I tried to find something on TSR but I couldn't find any discussion. Also, how are you finding Wife of Bath, I do it too. I don't really mind it, but if the questions are horrible then...
    Yeah, I don't mind it... I'm hoping that the questions are nice too! If it's a nice passage they give us I should be fine. There aren't that many things they can ask us and we have a choice of two questions so hopefully we'll be alright!

ReputationRep:
    According to the Interpreture website, 'Material' and 'From the Journal of a Disappointed Man' appeared in the AS exam a few weeks ago, so it seems unlikely that they will come up for us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharmingCat)
    According to the Interpreture website, 'Material' and 'From the Journal of a Disappointed Man' appeared in the AS exam a few weeks ago, so it seems unlikely that they will come up for us!
    Thanks! Do you know what came up in the other AS exams?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Do you know what came up in the other AS exams?
    Apart from a Streetcar question on the relationship between Blanche and Stella, I don't know what else came up.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, for anybody studying Hamlet (Edexcel) I have an odd feeling the Women will come up, also a really good theme to revise is the supernatural as it can be applicable to the “rotten” state of Denmark and to death and Hamlet’s madness.

For Streetcar, I wouldn’t be surprised if loneliness came up. It’s quite unlikely to be Stanley, Stella or vulnerability, but of course those are still good themes/characters that have a massive impact so nevertheless they’re really helpful.

For Keats I’m pretty sure To Autumn has come up before (I might be wrong lmao), but the best advice I can give is study the hell outta the Odes and the short early poems and use those as your comparisons as - especially the odes - they cover ALL of the themes that every other poem covers so you really can’t go wrong there.

If anyone is doing Frankenstein/THT then I feel fo you because I’m finding it so difficult lol but I think the best last minute revision for that is flicking through to key passages quickly, memorising quotes and why they compare to the other text. Responses to adversity, identity (I think), narrative voice and gender in the misuse of science are ones that I know have definitely come up before so I’m not sure what will come up - maybe something like free will or ‘the Other’? But that is a complete guess so I wouldn’t trust me on that one lmao

Also the modern poetry anthology (I’m so sad they took out a Leisure Centre because that poem is life) is one that I’m finding a little harder to revise or find the time for so if anyone has any suggestions on quick revision techniques I would HUGELY appreciate it!

I might have stated the obvious on some of these, idk, but hopefully this will help with last minute exam prep and predictions guys

ReputationRep:
    I realise I didn’t help much with your question (sorry!) but hopefully the streetcar bit is helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittycat2000)
    I realise I didn’t help much with your question (sorry!) but hopefully the streetcar bit is helpful
    Yes, thank you! It's interesting to hear how other people are getting on! I am in the same boat as you and am struggling with revision for Poems of the Decade, I made detailed notes on them all a while back so will probably go through them for each poem. If I have time I may practice analysing unseen poems in like a 15 minute time interval but I really don't see hat more I can do!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think I’ve doomed my self with Poems of the Decade, I’m probably going to be treating those similarly to the unseen ones... Though I did think of making a grid of key points for each poem, with one column being on structure, one on language and one on tone (or something else idk) and then of course each row dedicated to each poem. Otherwise I’m not sure what else to do! Hopefully that’ll be a good way to get to the key parts of the poem with some sort of focus I guess. I’m so glad I’m not the only person struggling with that one
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think I’ve doomed my self with Poems of the Decade, I’m probably going to be treating those similarly to the unseen ones... Though I did think of making a grid of key points for each poem, with one column being on structure, one on language and one on tone (or something else idk) and then of course each row dedicated to each poem. Otherwise I’m not sure what else to do! Hopefully that’ll be a good way to get to the key parts of the poem with some sort of focus I guess. I’m so glad I’m not the only person struggling with that one
    Hahah don’t worry I’m sure you’re fine with them! At least that is the last exam so I’ll have a bit more time to look over them as it gets nearer😎😎

ReputationRep:
    That’s true actually, can’t wait for it to be all over tbh 😹😹
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey, for anybody studying Hamlet (Edexcel) I have an odd feeling the Women will come up, also a really good theme to revise is the supernatural as it can be applicable to the “rotten” state of Denmark and to death and Hamlet’s madness.

For Streetcar, I wouldn’t be surprised if loneliness came up. It’s quite unlikely to be Stanley, Stella or vulnerability, but of course those are still good themes/characters that have a massive impact so nevertheless they’re really helpful.

For Keats I’m pretty sure To Autumn has come up before (I might be wrong lmao), but the best advice I can give is study the hell outta the Odes and the short early poems and use those as your comparisons as - especially the odes - they cover ALL of the themes that every other poem covers so you really can’t go wrong there.

If anyone is doing Frankenstein/THT then I feel fo you because I’m finding it so difficult lol but I think the best last minute revision for that is flicking through to key passages quickly, memorising quotes and why they compare to the other text. Responses to adversity, identity (I think), narrative voice and gender in the misuse of science are ones that I know have definitely come up before so I’m not sure what will come up - maybe something like free will or ‘the Other’? But that is a complete guess so I wouldn’t trust me on that one lmao

Also the modern poetry anthology (I’m so sad they took out a Leisure Centre because that poem is life) is one that I’m finding a little harder to revise or find the time for so if anyone has any suggestions on quick revision techniques I would HUGELY appreciate it!

I might have stated the obvious on some of these, idk, but hopefully this will help with last minute exam prep and predictions guys
    Thanks for your points on Hamlet! I also think that women will come up or, if not, a question on Ophelia or Gertrude could be asked. My teacher has predicted madness/revenge tragedy, which can be linked to Denmark as a 'prison' and the symbolism of decay, as well as Ophelia's madness (caused by Hamlet's revenge/the 'rank corruption' of Denmark).

As for Keats, it wouldn't surprise me if Hyperion came up, but I'm hoping that To Sleep will - it can be easily linked to Belle Dame, Indolence and Nightingale in terms of sleep (of course!) and suffering.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.